Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: little bird told me....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Another corp from Wis is going DIV I next year....... guess who???

~Student for Life~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: little bird told me....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:34 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

CorpNut wrote:
Another corp from Wis is going DIV I next year....... guess who???

That's fantastic news (albeit nothing unexpected from those of us following II/III for the past few years)!

Of course, BS's (I suspect you're not talking about the Americanos :wink: ) intention to go DivI has been murmuring for years; this past season being one such "close call". Alumni have been calling for it, it's known the Blue Stars organisation has been in talks with DCI, it's known they've been getting their finances in order since the fiasco following the 2003 season, but what makes your post any different than the rumours circulating over the past year or two? Can you provide us a rough estimate as to when either DCI or Blue Stars will make an official announcement? Do you have a transcript of some conversation where this is confirmed? I'm just curious, but what makes your announcement any more legit than the numerous announcements that preceded you?

I don't doubt you, nor am I trying to give you a hard time, I'm just curious when us fans will actually be given something concrete instead of post after post of alumni murmuring that are devoid of any pertinent details. You can't blame us for wanting more when, "Wolf," has been cried more times than we'd wish (and though I know BS will be DivI soon, and I can't wait, the almost two years of hype wears thin).

What I'd also like to know is what BS will do make themselves competitive with more than just the bottom three or four of DivI. Let me preface that I've been a fan of Blue Stars since I saw them in 2000, and recently I think they've had some of the most innovative and entertaining programs in DCI (their musical choices the last two seasons had been needing exploration for a few years now). My concern is that they weren't even in the same ballgame as Spartans and ECJ this past summer (and the nearly 3.5pts gap between 2nd-place Spartans and 3rd-place Blue Stars at Grand Finals should be an item of concern). To compound this, Spartans and ECJ are essentially weekend corps (with a few weeknight rehearsals and a death camp) until right before 2nd tour. Blue Stars have spent the past two summers on a nearly full tour, giving them easily twice to three times the rehearsal time of these two New England corps. Having seen a lot of corps this summer, I am certain that BS, if fared against other DivI corps, would not have beat the 20th-place Esperanza (having seen those two corps compete back-to-back - they weren't even close). What are the Blue Stars doing during all this rehearsal (they rehearse more and are bigger than an unusually weak Esperanza; by all accounts BS should've been better)? These aren't design-issues, these noticeable discrepancies between their competition are in execution (especially in colorguard). I know in 2004, the Blue Stars were a very young corps (went from 50-60 members to 100+ members in one season), but I have a hard time buying there weren't a number of vets in the 2005 production. Why might the execution still be lacking? I hope the staff discusses this in the off-season before they head off to compete in DivI (my prognosis is not enough time spent on a well-rounded basics program, but I'm not on staff).

I love the Blue Stars to death (a lot of reasons stemming from the 2002 and 2003 seasons), but I'm genuinely concerned about their ability to be competitive in DivI without notably reworking their corps' on-field operations. Best of luck this coming season, I can't wait to hear what they'll put on the field this summer. Also, barring no other DivI foldings, we might very well have a top-25 again!

Edit: A punctuation mistake or two

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

Yep...
Sorry, CorpNut (sic)... :oops:
But you are merely broadcasting...
More rumor, speculation, and wishful thinking... :lurk:

I'm on Blue Stars' mailing list...
And have heard nothing definitive from there... :read:
Nor seen anything on the corps' website... :compute:
(It is gonna happen, but maybe not be for another year or more...)

vanguardguy...
You are correct...
About the corps not yet being up to Division I snuff... :wink:
But BS 2005 was about as young...
As was BS 2004...
With nearly 65% of the corps (80+/128) being rookies... :shock:
In order to move up competitively...
(Regardless of division...)
The corps needs to match...
Their member retention with their success in recruiting... :)(:
Once they get members returning year after year...
At Division I levels....
The way they did in Division III... :king: :king: :king: :king: <--'89, '93, '01, '03
Success is sure to follow...

'Til later... 8-)

Life is a test, then you die and find out whether you passed or failed.

No matter what you listen to, most people don't like your music...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:01 am 
All Star
All Star

More important to me is the financial health of their corps and their parent/alumni support structure. WIthout both being in good shape, they could wither on the vine, so to speak.

Any corps members, alumni, or supprt folks out there who can give their perspective?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 am 
Veteran
Veteran

time will tell..... and a big "I told ya so" is coming my friends. :D

~Student for Life~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 am 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

Joby, Joby, Joby... :roll:
If it does happen soon...
There is no need for gloating... :nenr:
Since we all already know... :hum:
(And have known for some time...)
That barring financial calamity... :shock:
It is going to happen eventually... :wink:

'Til later... 8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think it is easier to maintain your members if you are a Div 1 corps. Div II/III members get it in their minds they should march Div 1 sometime in the marching career.

And since you can only march a few precious years, this makes sense. The Blue Stars showed they could field a full corps (better than many of the lower Div 1 corps did) and they seemed to have been getting their financial house in order.

Plus, there were a Div 1 (Open) corps. I think they will apply every year and be considered every year until it happens.

There is not going to be an annoucement from the corps until it happens or is sure to happen. They would not want the staff and the members on the emotional roller coaster.

Blue Stars want to move up to Div 1. Rumors about the ECJ abound. But last year, ECJ was adament that they were not interested in Div 1. Who knows about this year? The Blue Stars are a good bet for 2006. And just because you would finish in the bottom five for several years perhaps, is not a reason to avoid moving up. If a Div II corps waited until they could finish in finals, they might wait forever.

Jim

Owner of iBowTie Online Brass Store

ALL BRASS BAND streaming radio:
http://www.live365.com/stations/docfox?play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:08 am 
All Star
All Star

Howdy!

docfox wrote:
Rumors about the ECJ abound. But last year, ECJ was adament that they were not interested in Div 1. Who knows about this year?

It has been reported... :compute:
That ECJ has already applied...
To march Division I in 2006...
Possibly as a Regional Division I Corps...
Of course, this might be just one more false rumor... :lurk: )

'Til later...

Profile E-mail