* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yet Another Change in the Format for Championships 2006
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:47 pm 
All Star
All Star

from http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_i ... ff0f9f22ba

The 2006 Division II and III World Championships will feature multiple performance opportunities for member corps, with a preliminary round of competition taking place for all of the participating units on Tuesday, Aug. 8 at Camp Randall Stadium on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison.

On Thursday, Aug.10, the top nine advancing Division III units from Tuesday’s prelims will compete at Camp Randall in the Division III semifinals contest, prior to the start of Division I quarterfinals. On Friday, Aug. 11, the top nine advancing Division II units from Tuesday’s prelims will also compete at Camp Randall, in the Division II semifinals contest, prior to the start of Division I semifinals.

The Division II and III World Championships will take place on Saturday, Aug. 12, featuring the top three corps from both of the semifinals contests, plus the next six highest scoring semifinalists, spanning both divisions and both days of competition. Starting times and additional information on these shows and the complete 2006 Division II and III tour will be made available as final arrangements are solidified.

Note that it doesn't specify that DivII/III finals are at Camp Randall.

I think what they should do is make the Div II and III events unreserved seating prior to the Div I events in Camp Randall Stadium, included as part of the Div I event tickets, and scheduled to end with only a 30 minute break before the Div I events. The downside of doing that would be a higher expense for people who only want to attend Div II and III and don't care about Div I. Also, since I don't know how ticket revenue is shared with corps under the current format, I don't know what effect that change would have on revenue-- but it likely wouldn't be much, as not a lot of Div II/III corps revenue comes from ticket sales or appearance fees anyway. But the upside of doing that would be greater exposure of Div II and III to Div I fans who might not bother going to a separately ticketed event but might very well show up early when Div II and Div III events are part of the show they have tickets for. They also might get more souvenir sales and other kinds of support from having souvenir stands at Camp Randall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:10 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Also, don't count on this format continuing over to future years past 2006 particularly when DCI Championships are in NFL natural turf venues.

P.S. Even though I don't post much here, I will be noticeably absent from mid-October until after Veteran's Day due to my march across the State of Arkansas benefitting Bugles Across America, NFP. I can imagine there will be lots of posts to catch up on upon my return!!

http://www.24notes.org/BuglerNews_Artic ... ssArk.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Good luck with your march.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:03 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I was wondering why DCI is keeping changing the format for the second year in a row. Secondly, I agree with buckofan about it not lasting over 06 season either.

:P 8-) :D

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:32 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I'm glad DCI is changing the format; the 05 II/III format was absolutely horrible. It was confusing when "champions" were announced on "finals" night and medals and patches were handed out when there was still another show to go, and putting II/III in a completely different stadium is just ridiculous. However, I agree that the new format isn't likely to last beyond 06...I think it's likely in 07 that with finals being in the west, II/III will be again encouraged to hold finals in some totally seperate central location like Grand Haven, MI. If that happens, the likelihood of II/III finals ever rejoining Div. I finals is very low.

http://www.thebigdog.cjb.net
KKPsi-BT alumnus
"Do you hear that? That's the clue phone...and it's ringing for you."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

New format for 06 is a big improvement. I have been told though that 07 will have 2/3 corps at Pasedena Community College (location of the TOR Band Fest) for Championships... not sure if that's final yet or not though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:28 am 
Rookie
Rookie

FohiPitInstructor wrote:

I was wondering why DCI is keeping changing the format for the second year in a row. Secondly, I agree with buckofan about it not lasting over 06 season either.

:P 8-) :D

DCI doesn't set the policy. It's voted on by the D2/3 directors.

Contra Bass 89