* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ageout VS rookout
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:17 am 
Rookie
Rookie

i m looking for a corps near maine to do a rook out? any sugestions
ive got like 3 years left, im satying here in maine for a couple more to see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:46 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

First of all, you said you have 3 years left.....so why are you saying you will be a Rook-out? Are you staying in Maine for two years and not marching? You would be a Rook-Out only if you march your 1st and age-out year at the same time.

What Divsion do you want to march with? If it's Div. 1 I'd say travel down to Boston.....or ride over to Canton, Ohio.
I know it's a ways to go to practice, but other kids do it all the time.

When I marched I was over 200 miles away from Philly. There were members coming in from CA, Washington State, TX and Canada. So if you really want it, you will find a way to make it happen.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:55 am 
All Star
All Star

Another new member of Sound Machine, Becker of The Jungle, seems to be in the Maine area. Give him/her a PM and you could make plans together. You both could practice proper writing skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Well first of all...Atlanticguardian will hopefully be going competitive this year. So i plan on staying there for a couple years to see how it all goes. But my last year id like to go either divison 2 or mabye division 1 Depending alot on travel and money. Thanks for the options.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello, agdrummer,

First of all, I will look forward to hopefully seeing Atlantic Guardian compete this summer in one of the northeast Division II/III shows. I enjoyed meeting Jim Alberty at one of the early shows last year and I always enjoy reading his reviews on this forum. Best of luck to you and your corps.

There are many options open to you should you decide a couple of years from now that you want to do your last year of Junior Drum Corps in a new corps. It really is not too early to start thinking about it, especially if you think you may want to go Division I.

There are two good Division II corps within driving distance to southern Maine. They are East Coast Jazz in Malden, MA, and Spartans in Nashua, NH. My daughter is one of these corps and I've met some families from Maine.

There is actually photos and information about both these corps on the Atlantic Guardian website under "Div II/III Gallery." I suggest that if you have time next summer at a show that you watch both corps perfom and talk with some of their people. At sometime in the future when you may be ready to move, go to each corps' open house/audition dates in November so you can decide which feels right for you.

If you decide to go Division I, there would be much more travel, time and expense involved and there is a very competitive audition process. Go to DCI's main website and look under "Corps" to learn more about all these corps.

May you have a great time in drum corps,

I'm a Drum Corps Mom

Last edited by opensecret on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I think it's great you want to stick around your current corps a few more years and help them along. That's a virtue that is sometimes lacking nowadays and you'll find it very rewarding. If you decide you indeed want to march elsewhere, seriously consider East Coast Jazz or Spartans. As said before, both are very good DivII corps who could rival certain semifinalist-calibre DivI drum corps. If AG isn't going to compete next summer and you want to start smaller, 7th Regiment, Citations, and Targets are located in New England. None of the three could rival what you'd see at the top levels of DivII or DivIII, and certainly no where close to DivI, but they will assuredly give you the skills you need to excel in more competitive drum corps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you all very much for all the advice...keep it coming :lol:

Profile E-mail