Academy at the Bellflower DCI Show

Discuss topics unique to Open Class Drum Corps

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Bandmaster
Director
Director

Academy at the Bellflower DCI Show

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Most of you from outside California have never had a chance to see The Academy in action. So I have a treat for you all... I was filming the Senior Corps last night and got a chance to also tape the Academy's show. So if you want to see for yourself what all the hype has been about, just click the link below. They have, to my knowledge, the first show completely based on southwestern music... and it is GREAT! It has been the audience's favorite at all the shows so far. Lots of 3 against 2 rhythms and some great high brass double tonguing in the closer.

The Academy at Bellflower Show on July 9, 2006

I am going to cross my fingers and hope I don't get in trouble for this one... :shock: So download it now, while you can....
Dave Schaafsma
The Sound Machine

LAMystreaux
All Star
All Star

Post by LAMystreaux » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:46 am

Dave, you rock!
Just because your hate is masked by "free thinking" or being "open-minded" does not make it right.

bari_benzo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bari_benzo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:26 am

I've heard that ending somewhere before.

I love the music

Thanks Dave!
Eddie

SNModdison
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SNModdison » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:23 pm

their opener/ballad/opener again is "Huapango"...our Opener from Cascades 2003. It is a great piece...I just don't know how well it works for drum corps.

I like them...this is the first time I've seen them...but their drill is kinda...blah.

I'm sure they'll be great come finals, and really shake some things up though

crazybass
New Recruit
New Recruit

this is ACADEMY?????

Post by crazybass » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:36 pm

If this is the super division II team that I have heard so much about they are going to have a rude awakening when finals rolls around. This show bored me to sleep. :zzz:

SNModdison
Rookie
Rookie

Re: this is ACADEMY?????

Post by SNModdison » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:49 am

crazybass wrote:If this is the super division II team that I have heard so much about they are going to have a rude awakening when finals rolls around. This show bored me to sleep. :zzz:
'

The show really is laking in drill...very boring. I'm sure they are a LOT better live..as they got an 85 3 weeks ago! Their hornline sounds like they'd be incredible!!! THe double tonguing stuff in the closer is crazy! Wish I could see them live!

agdrummer_maine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by agdrummer_maine » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:39 pm

Yea i found the show to be very boring. I must of stopped the video at least 6 times to regain myself. There will be some stiff competion when they meet up with OC and Spartans.
Never happy till i find prefection. What is perfection you may ask? me in a Boston Crusaders Uniform.

Hostrauser
All Star
All Star

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:47 pm

We'll see. I agree that visual is Academy's weak point (was last year, too), but they're musically better than any Division II corps I've ever heard except maybe 2002 Magic. Musically the Academy's better than several Division I corps.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

Bandmaster
Director
Director

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:56 pm

Well, I guess that all the background noise behind this video has distracted many people and they have not gotten the full impact of the show. (There was a large power generator running behing the bleachers to power the field lights in this new stadium.) I was at the very top of the stands and the generator noise bothered me. But all I can say is that this video does NOT do this show justice. It is MUCH better seen and heard live!
Dave Schaafsma
The Sound Machine

trebleC
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by trebleC » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:06 am

There will be some stiff competion when they meet up with OC
OC 86.30
academy 91.something

tschmenke
New Recruit
New Recruit