Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memphis Sound
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:39 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Another possible choice of corps for me this summer. What do you guys know about them and the organization?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:06 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Well their mission isn't to "educate" like all the other corps claim they do..

Mission Statement
The mission of Memphis Sound Drum & Bugle Corps is to provide a competitive platform on which youth can build successful, healthy lifestyles through music and performance; and to promote artistic excellence.

At least they're honest about that..lol.

www.memphisdrumcorps.org

Stephanie

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:10 am 
All Star
All Star

Hi Doube-G,

I can't really say much about Memphis Sound, but I am curious as to which corps you are considering and what you are hoping to find in a corps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:40 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Well, the possible choice basically due to location. I don't really want to travel a great distance. I live in middle Tennessee, so Memphis is on the other end of the state and Fort Mills, South Carolina, home of Carolina Crown. There is also a senior corps in Nashville, Music City Legend, that is an option. I really want to march Div. I, but I've been guaranteed a spot in Sound, a Div. II corps. And I would automatically be accepted into the senior corps, but I don't think the experience would be the same as if I were to marcha DCI corps. They are DCA afterall. Decisions, decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:53 am 
All Star
All Star

Double_G wrote:
Well, the possible choice basically due to location. I don't really want to travel a great distance. I live in middle Tennessee, so Memphis is on the other end of the state and Fort Mills, South Carolina, home of Carolina Crown. There is also a senior corps in Nashville, Music City Legend, that is an option. I really want to march Div. I, but I've been guaranteed a spot in Sound, a Div. II corps. And I would automatically be accepted into the senior corps, but I don't think the experience would be the same as if I were to marcha DCI corps. They are DCA afterall. Decisions, decisions.

Can you not try out for both Crown and Sound?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What about Spirit or Southwind?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am 
All Star
All Star

Double_G wrote:
Well, the possible choice basically due to location. I don't really want to travel a great distance. I live in middle Tennessee, so Memphis is on the other end of the state and Fort Mills, South Carolina, home of Carolina Crown.

If Fort Mills is within range, wouldn't Jacksonville, AL be also? I don't know - Do you have to be a student at JSU to march with Spirit?

For that matter, Southwind up in Lexington KY might be an option as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What about Spirit or Southwind?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Jazzman wrote:
Double_G wrote:
Well, the possible choice basically due to location. I don't really want to travel a great distance. I live in middle Tennessee, so Memphis is on the other end of the state and Fort Mills, South Carolina, home of Carolina Crown.

If Fort Mills is within range, wouldn't Jacksonville, AL be also? I don't know - Do you have to be a student at JSU to march with Spirit?

For that matter, Southwind up in Lexington KY might be an option as well.

No, you do not have to be a student at JSU in order to march Spirit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Since you live so close, the logical thing to do is just go check out a weekend camp, see how you feel about it. Trying out for a division 2 corps finalist is a great way to get some experience try it you might like it! :)

Stephanie

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Jacksonville, Al would be closer then Ft. Mills, but Memphis would be much closer for him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: MapQuest Distance estimates
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

Lexington KY (Southwind) is ~200 miles from Gordonsville TN

Jacksonville AL (Spirit) is ~250 miles

Memphis TN (Sound) is ~260 miles

Fort Mill SC (Crown) - ~385 miles

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Mapquest isn't always the most accurate either from my understanding.

However.....I wasn't factoring in Southwind...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Double_G wrote:

I think if you really want to march Div. l, then go for it! Look at the kids on PA who will be traveling to Texas for Crossmen. They do it because they "really want to." :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Sound
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:56 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget the term (even with DCI) "Senior Corps" is passe' now. All-Age is the proper term now.

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:31 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Ok, the theory is as such: I am probably going to audition for both corps. And if neither work out, I'll go to the camps for the all age corps.

Apparently, a Div. II corps is semi-intense compared to a Div. I. That's what I have heard atleast. So, if I absolutely hate the activity in a Div. I sense, I may like it better in a Div. II corps.

And some of the reason why I would like to march Crown is my fascination with them. I've been in love with them since '04. And I figure, "Hey, they are only a state away, even though some other corps may be closer."

Southwind is on a downslide is you ask me and Spirit has been very complacent the past few years. If anyone marched these corps forgive me, just my opinion. I'll delete that last statement if necessary.

The thing is I want to have fun and learn. That is priority number one. But, I'm also competitive in EVERYTHING. The last time I played Monopoly, 4 other players and a spectator ended up in the hospital. Just kidding about that lol. But, I think Crown has a legit chance at a Div. I title this coming season and Sound is getting better every season.

I just want to enjoy the activity and still have a competitive chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:21 pm 
All Star
All Star

Double_G wrote:
Ok, the theory is as such: I am probably going to audition for both corps. And if neither work out, I'll go to the camps for the all age corps.

Apparently, a Div. II corps is semi-intense compared to a Div. I. That's what I have heard atleast. So, if I absolutely hate the activity in a Div. I sense, I may like it better in a Div. II corps.

And some of the reason why I would like to march Crown is my fascination with them. I've been in love with them since '04. And I figure, "Hey, they are only a state away, even though some other corps may be closer."

Southwind is on a downslide is you ask me and Spirit has been very complacent the past few years. If anyone marched these corps forgive me, just my opinion. I'll delete that last statement if necessary.

The thing is I want to have fun and learn. That is priority number one. But, I'm also competitive in EVERYTHING. The last time I played Monopoly, 4 other players and a spectator ended up in the hospital. Just kidding about that lol. But, I think Crown has a legit chance at a Div. I title this coming season and Sound is getting better every season.

I just want to enjoy the activity and still have a competitive chance.

I disagree about Southwind. I just think Southwind's placements (especially this past summer) has more to do with corps in general being stronger than anything Southwind is doing "wrong" as a corps. The past 2 years I have loved their shows.

Profile E-mail