Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Championship Week Rumors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

I heard through a friend who knows this guy who dated the sister of a corps member... :lol:

Rumor has it: Jersey Surf will be moving to Division I next year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Championship Week Rumors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:27 am 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
Rumor has it: Jersey Surf will be moving to Division I next year.

This would be quite a departure from their organizational philosophy. They seemed quite commited to "weekend only shows" and not a lot of traveling in order to better accomodate their membership, especially younger participants. Perhaps their fund-raising has improved to the point where they can now consider the schedule of a Div I corps.

This would be great for Div I, bad for Div II (unless several Div III's move up to Div II). I think Div II is in danger of disappearing altogether.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 am 
All Star
All Star

A bitter-sweet rumor...as Jazzman noted, great to have another Div I corps, but hate to lose yet another Div II corps. I also agree its just a matter of time before Div II and III combine to make one Div II and no longer a Div III.

I wonder if Jersey Surf has been inspired by The Academy and hope to duplicate their success in their first year of Div I.

Has anyone heard anything about East Coast Jazz? Any plans of returning to the Div II circuit in 2008?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about East Coast Jazz? Any plans of returning to the Div II circuit in 2008?

If the money's there, yes. They're trying to pay off debt and get renewal of their sponsoring corporation.

Semi-related, on the Division I front, Capital Regiment may be coming back in 2008, also. However, I have not heard optimistic things about the states of The Magic and Esperanza. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: It's simple...................
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You know, if DCI would just take 10 or 20% of it's marketing budget and re-allocate it for promoting Division 2/3, both those divisions could thrive. Has there been ANY attention paid to Div. 2/3 on the ESPN broadcasts?? NO. DCI had a good idea going a few years ago with the Wedensday evening "grand opening ceremonies" with the Div. 2/3 championships as well as a massed Div. 1 performance of "America the beautiful". That WAS successful and gave some needed attention to the Div. 2/3 championships (AND put a lot of people in the stands to enjoy the Div. 2/3 championships). SO what does DCI do now???? They put the Div. 2/3 championships on Saturday morning - during the day and in the heat - who wants to see that and then go the Div. 1 championships at night???. In addition, because of this the Div. 2/3 corps that make finals HAVE to stay for an extra 3-4 days at DCI - raising their tour expenses. Under the old format, Div. 2/3 corps that couldn't afford to stay for the whole week could head back home on Thursday of DCI week if they needed to.........now the finalist corps are forced to stay thru Saturday and they get to look forward to a Saturday morning championship with few people sitting in the stands to watch them. It's NO WONDER why some of the Div. 2 corps want to move up to Div. 1!! IMO, Esperanza made the decision to go to Div. 1 TOO SOON - and now they're paying the price for it (but it's hard to blame them.......who wants to stay in a division that has little promotion or support??).

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if DCI wants to REALLY build up drum corps properly, they need to do it from THE BOTTOM UP, and NOT the top down. Create a viable feeder system, support AND promote that feeder system...........and corps like Jersey Surf, Esperanza, Capital Regiment and others would most likely be quite happy to STAY in Div. 2 (and still be around instead of folding or going inactive).

Guangxi Arts College, Nanning, China

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:21 am 
All Star
All Star

I agree with some of your discontent, Jon. But I was happily surprised last night at the Quarter Finals broadcast in the theater. They showed clips of Memphis Sound and Jersey Surf and the crowd really ate it up. I do think some things need to change to help reduce costs for Div II and III corps though. I wonder if we will see SCV Cadets, Blue Devils B and C, Spokane Thunder, Impulse, Mystical, VK, and Oregon Crusaders (probably forgetting some) during Finals week the next 10 years in Indy or if it will cost too much for them to attend.