"Open Class" status

Discuss topics unique to Open Class Drum Corps

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Wildabeast
Soloist
Soloist

"Open Class" status

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:55 pm

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in here yet, but in case you haven't heard, directors of the D 2/3 corps unanimously voted to have their corps under an umbrella known as "Open Class".

More info.
Stop global whining.

Some minds are like concrete -
thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Jazzman
All Star
All Star

Post by Jazzman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:24 am

My ONLY concern with this new structure is that we will not likely see many of the former Div III corps in Open Class Finals if it is all one big pool. Otherwise, I support the move and hope it achieves the desired affects.
Regards, Jazzman

chadwick
All Star
All Star

Post by chadwick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:45 am

I agree with Jazzman. I think overall this is a great move, but my concern would be having some of the smaller current Div III corps competing on the same level as some of the larger current Div II corps.

WE ARE SPARTACI
All Star
All Star

Post by WE ARE SPARTACI » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 pm

chadwick wrote:I agree with Jazzman. I think overall this is a great move, but my concern would be having some of the smaller current Div III corps competing on the same level as some of the larger current Div II corps.
I am not sure why that would that be an issue. It wasn't that long ago that most every corps was judged on the same sheets as the big boys. I remember coming in 31st at Nationals one year and still beating another 30 corps who placed below us. Having to compete against corps that were 50% larger never fazed us. We didn't need to be eligible for a "Championship" trophy as the best Division xyz corps. We knew where we placed and who our relative competitors were. There were tangible milestones or goals that came with bragging rights (Associate member = Top 25; making to 20th place or higher got you on the records; Top 12; etc...). We didn't seem to need to be classified in a, like the term or not, lesser division.

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

Post by Blurae1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:04 am

I remember placing 12th in DCI with 33 horns, bet you'll never see that again................Bill

Jd
Soloist
Soloist

Post by Jd » Wed May 28, 2008 6:46 am

No you won't and remember, you are the FIRST first year DCI Finalist. 8-)
Jd
Bleu Raeders '78-'80
Louisiana Southernaires '81
Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

Post by Blurae1 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:16 am

Incredible times my friend........Incredible times indeed...........Nothing in my 52 years has even come professionally..............Thanks.........Bill

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:51 am

Blurae1 wrote:I remember placing 12th in DCI with 33 horns, bet you'll never see that again................Bill
I was in the stands at Warhawk Stadium for your prelims performance. That opening mellophone riff from that little kid with the BIG sound remains a very pleasant memory to me. I hadn't heard of the BR, and my reaction 10 seconds into your show was, "Who ARE these folks??"
Jim Anello

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

Post by Blurae1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:11 pm

On behalf of Jerry Richards, I thank you. I have no idea what happened to him. I haven't seen him since the last show in '73. He was a good musician & a good guy......................Bill