Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rare Drum Corps Recordings I Wish I had...and Why
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 am 
All Star
All Star

Through the kindness of Dan Scarpella, a frequent poster on DCP and a sometimes poster here, I received a mp3 of the original 1976 Madison Scouts show. For those of you who don't know, the show done at finals was a complete re-write. The original show had Shaft as the opener, Mahogony from Diana Ross as the closer, and extended version of Mac Park that had the corps marching for a good portion of the tune, Pick Up the Pieces(I think that was the title - by Average White Band?) and another tune I can't identify. What possessed them to program this show is beyond me. Maybe they were trying to imitate the Next Hot Thing, which back then had to be the Blue Devils. The performance quality is OK, but rough; after all, the recording was probably made in June or early July. But you could hear a lot of talent in that horn line. From what Dan and some other alums said, the complete rewrite of the show was really stressful on the members(I guess that's revealing the obvious), and many kids who could have come back for 1977 opted out.

This is a recording I wanted to have for a while simply for its curiosity value. In a way, it's a case of something being so bad that it is good. It got me thinking about other recordings I wish I had just for history's sake. Here's a partial list:

1975 Muchachos DCI Prelims - as most of you know, Hawthorne was DQed, and the recording was never made commercially available. I know there are mp3s of it floating around, though.

1976 Crossmen - this corps was also DQed after its prelims performance for marching overage members. I've always liked Rick Wakeman, and I think they're the only corps to do Journey to the Center of the Earth. Whether they were good enough to make finals I can't say, but they would have been a very good associate corps.

1976 Kilties - the first of the really bad years for the Kilts - 28th place in prelims. I used to have a GE Brass tape of Dr. Baggs judging this corps at DCI prelims. Basically, he implores the corps to play out and be themselves. Great quote as the corps hits the big push in Don't You Worry About a Thing - "Now the Kilties are being the Kilties!" I also had the GE Percussion tape from Cosmo Barbaro. Quote after Knightsbridge March, the opener - "What can I say? The tune sucks." At any rate, this would be a case of it's so bad it's good.

1977 Bridgemen Prelims - another case of overage members. DCI never released this, but the corps was HOT.

1968 Kilties and Boston Crusaders at Shriner's International - I heard this once. It's the only recording I known of the '68 Kilts BEFORE Mac Park replaced Serenade for Soprano as the concert. Talk about the Missing Puzzle Piece - the Kilts would have finished 5th or 6th that year if they hadn't made the change. Boston won the show, and apparently they would have been a contender at VFW that year, had they made the decision to go(Dan and Cody - why did they choose not to make the trip?).

1972 De La Salle Oaklands - this is one of those urban legends things. I have a recording of them in a concert setting as part of a DCI preview setting, and they were really good. I was told they got a warning during that season to lose their overage members, and a significant part of their talent supposedly went away as a result. I wish I had a recording of that corps before they lost the overage members, if that urban legend is true.

Care to add to the list?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:42 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Jim, I do have the CYO recording of the 1975 Muchachos.....you probably do to. As far as Crossmen '76, I can find out if there were any recordings the staff may have made.
I do know DCI did include the '77 Bridgemen on their "Legacy" DVD.......you could make an audio version of that as well. :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 68 Crusaders
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

I was wrapping up my second year with the USAF in 68 Jim, so I e-mailed CODI your question. I'm guessing money was an issue. At the Shriner's the breakdown was: Boston-80.78 Blessed Sac-80.20 Kilties-74.38 Optimists-72.98

While looking up the above scores in the Vol. I of "A History of Drum & Bugle Corps", the VFW prelims had the first five corps separated by .90. Des Plains Vanguards, Troopers, Cavies, and the Kilties and Royal Airs tied for fourth. The finals had them ending up Kilties, Cavies, Troopers, Vanguard, and Royal Airs. 1.85 separated these corps in the finals.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Phantom's 89 concert piece with the KC Symphony. Been looking for that forever, but not even folks with the corps have copies anymore. :(

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:05 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

MikeN wrote:
Phantom's 89 concert piece with the KC Symphony.

Wow, I had forgotten about that one.

There's also the time when Cadets performed as an offstage "band" in a play, and the Glassmen have performed with the Toledo SO more than once.

I'd also like to hear Concord Pavilion recordings as far back as they go.

Post subject: Re: 68 Crusaders
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

Dan Kelly wrote:
I was wrapping up my second year with the USAF in 68 Jim, so I e-mailed CODI your question. I'm guessing money was an issue. At the Shriner's the breakdown was: Boston-80.78 Blessed Sac-80.20 Kilties-74.38 Optimists-72.98

While looking up the above scores in the Vol. I of "A History of Drum & Bugle Corps", the VFW prelims had the first five corps separated by .90. Des Plains Vanguards, Troopers, Cavies, and the Kilties and Royal Airs tied for fourth. The finals had them ending up Kilties, Cavies, Troopers, Vanguard, and Royal Airs. 1.85 separated these corps in the finals.
Dan Kelly

I forgot that SAC was so strong, too. It really makes you wonder how things would have played out had both corps had been to '68 VFW.

Once, a long time ago, I asked a Boston Crusaders alum this question, and he said something along the line that the money they saved by not going to VFW went to new equipment - a set of G-F bugles, perhaps?

Any moment I expect somebody from RA will weigh in about how they lost only because of a penalty at VFW. Maybe so, but there's no denying that the Kilts came from WAY back in the pack to take that title.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:19 am 
All Star
All Star

The Kilties might have come from "way back" Jim during the season, but tied for 4th place after prelims, only .9 out of 1st, was a piece of cake in the tick days.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:33 am 
All Star
All Star

Dan Kelly wrote:
The Kilties might have come from "way back" Jim during the season, but tied for 4th place after prelims, only .9 out of 1st, was a piece of cake in the tick days.
Dan Kelly

No arguement there, Dan. But what they did during August of that year was pretty amazing. There was a pretty good thread about this on RAMD a year or so ago. The Kilts were down to RA by something like 12-14 full points in early August. That's one huge gap they made up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 76 Madison and 77 Bridgemen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:50 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I MAY have copies of those shows...I have them both on CD's.
76 Madison is probably not the early season, and on my 77 cd's I have the Bridgemen listed, but who knows, may have been listed as the wrong year where I got it..I'll research both on corpsreps and see what I have.
BTW, I have most of (but not all) of the stuff from 72 on.

Blues, Baby, Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:18 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Quote:
I do know DCI did include the '77 Bridgemen on their "Legacy" DVD.......you could make an audio version of that as well.

Malibu,

I believe this might be the recording of the finals not the prelims. I remember when marching the prelim that this was the best, along with DCI East Finals, show the corp had put on that year. We were so emotional that I remember seeing kids crying as they were performing. Everyone marching knew we were performing our hearts out. I remember see one of the drum judges, Rodney Goodman (name might be slightly different) also having tears in his eyes. I wish I could get a hold of the recording of that show.

When entering the field the boos were heard, but at the end, the entire stadium was up on there feet with a roar louder than the 76 DCI finals when we fainted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:43 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Henny wrote:
Quote:
I do know DCI did include the '77 Bridgemen on their "Legacy" DVD.......you could make an audio version of that as well.

Malibu,

I believe this might be the recording of the finals not the prelims. I remember when marching the prelim that this was the best, along with DCI East Finals, show the corp had put on that year. We were so emotional that I remember seeing kids crying as they were performing. Everyone marching knew we were performing our hearts out. I remember see one of the drum judges, Rodney Goodman (name might be slightly different) also having tears in his eyes. I wish I could get a hold of the recording of that show.

When entering the field the boos were heard, but at the end, the entire stadium was up on there fe
et with a roar louder than the 76 DCI finals when we fainted.

Henny, I'll ask some people if the Bridgemen's '77 performance was that of prelims or finals on the DVD. Yes, I've heard other Bridgemen alumni say that show was very emotional for a lot of reasons.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 1972 De la Salle Oaklands
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:32 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The reference to De la Salle is no more than that - a legend. Actually, De La Salle had a good year in 1972 and was one of the thirteen corps that created DCI. There is a competition recording (I have it in my collection) at the Shriners International contest in June/72. The record, volume 2 of a two record set, was produced and distributed by DB RECORDS. It contains De La Salle, Racine Kilties, Garfield Cadets and Blue Rock. As a former member of the corps (1958 to 1963) and a colleague of both the corps director and business manager in 1972, I can assure you their was no overage problem.

De La Salle finished 16th at prelims in '72, 4 points out of 12th. After their merger with Etobicoke Crusaders in 1974 to form Oakland Crusaders, the corps sponsorship by De La Salle Oaklands, a Toronto private high school, ended. Until that time, they were the only prominent corps, that I know of, which was based from a high school.

As to 1975 Muchachos - I have a tape from DCI prelims which I got from Ken Kobold about 15 years ago (before his death, of course). He was the producer for DCI for several years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

The latest issue of DRUM CORPS WORLD has the news about 300 of the old Fleetwood recordings being released on CD. There is also an ad for Fleetwood.

By the way....Steve Vickers of DRUM CORPS WORLD is working on some historic drum corps DVD productions which will hopefully be released in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

That news Brian sounds great. I hope the production teams are able to go way back.
Dan Kelly

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:11 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Malibu wrote:
Henny wrote:
Quote:

Malibu,

When entering the field the boos were heard, but at the end, the entire stadium was up on there fe
et with a roar louder than the 76 DCI finals when we fainted.

Henny, I'll ask some people if the Bridgemen's '77 performance was that of prelims or finals on the DVD. Yes, I've heard other Bridgemen alumni say that show was very emotional for a lot of reasons.

OK....I asked LancerFi to check out the '77 DVD with Bridgemen on it....she said it was a night performance......so it must be from finals. 8-)

Profile E-mail