The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

The original 1977 vhs video tapes of the 1977 finals had a TERRIBLE version of the Bridgemen on it. It substituted actual movie film (not video tape) footage in part of their show. I have the complete 1977 Bridgemen video from DCI Midwest (2 weeks prior to DCI finals) and apparently, the company that put together the 1977 video tapes didn't have access to additional video tape of the Bridgemen and pieced the movie footage in there, with bad results.. If the DVD version is better, then DCI must have found a pristine copy somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:44 am 
All Star
All Star

Another reason for the Eastern corps (Boston, Blessed Sac, St. Lucy's, & Garfield) for not going to Detroit was they got the word that the "fix" was in. Don't go nuts now people, just an opinion expressed to me by others in separate conversations. Tony S. who ran the VFW National's, wasn't always keen on the Eastern corps.
Those who did go to Detroit to watch "The Nationals", said the Kilties deserved to win that year.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:38 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
The original 1977 vhs video tapes of the 1977 finals had a TERRIBLE version of the Bridgemen on it. It substituted actual movie film (not video tape) footage in part of their show. I have the complete 1977 Bridgemen video from DCI Midwest (2 weeks prior to DCI finals) and apparently, the company that put together the 1977 video tapes didn't have access to additional video tape of the Bridgemen and pieced the movie footage in there, with bad results.. If the DVD version is better, then DCI must have found a pristine copy somewhere.

Brian, I sent your post to LancerFi and she had this to say;

The DVD is from finals and is as good and the same as the other top 12....

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:47 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu...it's funny that somehow DCI found a pristine master somewhere of the 1977 Bridgemen performance at finals. When they sold the vhs tapes 5-10 years ago, there was a disclaimer on the tape stating that due to the deteriorating masters, the footage of the Bridgemen (and Garfield) had substitute footage inserted. (In the case of the Bridgemen it was during their Chorus Line feature near the end of their show.) That's why they stopped selling the vhs tapes (or at least that was the excuse DCI gave). I know I had ordered a set from one season that I didn't have in my collection, and they refunded my money, saying they no longer had good enough masters. It probably turns out that they were simply eager to abandon the vhs format in favor of the DVD format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:02 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yeah they probably knew they were going to change over and wanted the master copy in the best condition.
It could be too that they just did a very good job at restoring it.....I don't know, I'd have to see the DVD.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:

That original VHS video reminds me of a bad skit from Saturday Night Live. Sort of fitting for the Bridgemen, and I mean that as a compliment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

You're right about it looking like a comedy bit. Out of nowhere the scene shifts from the live feel of the video tape to movie film taken who knows where by what appears to be a hand-held movie camera. It was like....."well we kept them off the recordings that year, so it's no big deal if the video is bad." Was it just a coincidence that the Bridgemen were the only corps to have a substantial portion of their show damaged from 1977?

Post subject: Rare Drum Corps Recordings I Wished I Had!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:29 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Without a doubt probably one of the greatest recordings of all time was the 1963 National Dream Contest.

I have a copy but it is full of snap, crackles and pop!

Just think back on a beautiful August afternoon starting at 1PM the first junior corps steped to the starting line. What a line up!

Conn. Royal Lancers
Norwood Park Imperials
Garfield Cadets
Blessed Sac
SKEK

At approx. 3:30 PM the first Senior Corps steped to the starting line. Once again what a line up!

Hawthorne Cabs
Archer Epler
Skyliners
Conn. Hurricanes
Reading Bucs.

A friend let me borrow a CD and I was able to burn a copy for myself. Brings back a lot of memories. Actually any National Dream was great!
As they stated ("The National Dream often imiated, but never duplicated!")

Some of the early Fleetwood recordings were fantastic.
Just to name a few "Off The Line", "Brass By Night", "The Princemen", and one other great "Bugles Up".

I hope that there will be some type of agreement with Fleetwood, so that these albums can be and will be sold as CD's.

"Just Thinking Of The Good Old Days!"

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:40 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Yes, back in 1968 there was a rumor, and I don't know where it started, but the Eastern Corps were told to stay home because it was going to be a midwest show. So the powers to be in the East joined together and boycotted the "Nationals". The only eastern corps to go was the 27th Lancers, and you see where they finished. I don't consider St. Joe's and Eastern corps.

I was there in Detroit that year. The prelims were held on this large parcel of land that was surrounded by a highway. There were no stands, and all you could hear was the sound of trucks, cabs and cars. It was one of the worst prelims I had ever "stood through"!

The finals that night were held at the University of Detroit Football Stadium. The temps were in the high 90's the evening and it was very humid! Kilties were great, and probably would have won even if the East had attended.

The next year the VFW was held in Philadelphia, and the venues were much better, the weather conditions for the finals were just the oppisite of Detroit.
Very cool and a strong wind.

All the corps attened that year in Philly!

Tony "S" was in his glory, doing the introductions.

"Just Thinking Of The Good Old Days"!

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

CODI wrote:
Tony "S" was in his glory, doing the introductions.

CODI

I've heard some interesting stories about Mr. Schlecta that may have explained why he always sounded so slurred on those Fleetwood recordings.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:07 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Well Jim, you have said a mouthful. If you listen to the VFW National Recording of 1962 and listen to the announcement of the scores it says it all!!!

Tony "S" was the ruler of the drum corps portion of the VFW. Probably his most embarassing moment was in 1966 at Roosevelt Stadium when the I.C. Reveries posed as St. Kevin's and was able to come onto the field and demand to be judged. They were upset because they missed the finals by a tenth.

I.C. sat on the starting line and help up the contest for a good hour. The American Flag Section, you remember wha that was, stood the entire time.

Finally, they were allowed to march and were judged, but nobody ever saw the sheets, or the score. At the end of their routine, it is said that he advised people that would be the last time you would ever see that corps. Thus, The 27th Lancers were born!!

The contest that evening did not get over until the wee hours of the morning, and the weather conditions for the drive home to Boston through the fog was terrible. I honestly believe "the stunt" pulled by IC hurt all the corps that evening delaying their start time.

Yes, Tony was "The Music Man" of VFW.

"Just Thinking Of The Good Old Days"!

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:15 am 
All Star
All Star

CODI...

I don't know if you saw my earlier posting that those old Fleetwood albums are now being released on CD. Supposedly the masters were destroyed when Drum Corps News burned down some years ago, but most, if not all of the Fleetwood catalog will be coming out on CD.

Tony Schlechta was a real gem! I think we all know why he had a difficult time announcing those corps names and post names. I corresponded with Tony in the spring of 1972, getting info for the 1972 VFW Nationals, which were held here in Minneapolis. He wanted to make sure everybody knew that there would be NO COSTUMES, NO DANCING, etc. He didn't want to see the 1971 Cavaliers/Madison Scouts theme shows reappear. This was to be a PURE drum corps contest.

His most famous one was when he actually said,........"From Trooper, Wyoming......The Caspers!" Several people commented on it in Drum Corps News. I'm fairly certain it was from 1971 VFW in Dallas.

Last edited by Brian Tolzmann on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:38 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
CODI...

Tony Schlechta was a real gem! I think we all know why he had a difficult time announcing those corps names and post names. His most famous one was when he actually said,........"From Trooper, Wyoming......The Caspers!" They had to re-record it for the albums.

What I remember about him was how the words got very slurred as he announced a corps. "On the starting line, representing Labormens' Memorial mumble mumble,mumble...The Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights...Take 'em away!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:41 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, Jim..my friends and I had more than one belly laugh at the 1972 VFW Nationals just hearing Tony's intros. HILARIOUS!!

Unfortunately, Tony is also responsible for the fact that all the old drum corps written records of the VFW were thrown away. Both Tony's secretary and his son confirmed to me the fact that Tony took all the old VFW drum corps materials, and tossed them in a dumpster in his back yard. The VFW national office in Kansas City knows virtually nothing of its drum corps history, due in part to this action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:43 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
CODI...

Tony Schlechta was a real gem! I think we all know why he had a difficult time announcing those corps names and post names. I corresponded with Tony in the spring of 1972, getting info for the 1972 VFW Nationals, which were held here in Minneapolis. He wanted to make sure everybody knew that there would be NO COSTUMES, NO DANCING, etc. He didn't want to see the 1971 Cavaliers/Madison Scouts theme shows reappear. This was to be a PURE drum corps contest.

He tried to get us thrown out of the VFW Nats in 70 (Miami) because of our Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit".

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next