The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:48 am 
All Star
All Star

Henny wrote:
Quote:
I do know DCI did include the '77 Bridgemen on their "Legacy" DVD.......you could make an audio version of that as well.

Malibu,

I believe this might be the recording of the finals not the prelims. I remember when marching the prelim that this was the best, along with DCI East Finals, show the corp had put on that year. We were so emotional that I remember seeing kids crying as they were performing. Everyone marching knew we were performing our hearts out. I remember see one of the drum judges, Rodney Goodman (name might be slightly different) also having tears in his eyes. I wish I could get a hold of the recording of that show.

When entering the field the boos were heard, but at the end, the entire stadium was up on there feet with a roar louder than the 76 DCI finals when we fainted.

Rod Goodheart was known as being a bit of a "homer" for Bayonne and the Muchachos. I always wondered if he and Dennis were personal friends or something.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:44 am 
All Star
All Star

Mike wrote:

He tried to get us thrown out of the VFW Nats in 70 (Miami) because of our Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit".

Didn't members of Garfield's staff try to convince Tony it wasn't a peace sign, but, rather, the Mercedes Benz logo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
Mike wrote:

He tried to get us thrown out of the VFW Nats in 70 (Miami) because of our Peace Sign drill to "White Rabbit".

Didn't members of Garfield's staff try to convince Tony it wasn't a peace sign, but, rather, the Mercedes Benz logo?

Yes, I think it might have been spearheaded by Ray Capacelli...it was the kind of thing he'd do. A very funny guy, and a great drill cleanup instructor.

Mike

Post subject: Rafe Drum Corps Recordings!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Just thinking about the good old days, and I thought about the night of the 1971 VFW Nationals Parade in Dallas, when my buddy and I were able to get up on the Reviewing Stand in front of the Sheraton Dallas, and watched the parade along with Tony "S".

It was remarkable, basically the contest was being pre-judged that evening Tony "S" and his "staff"!

He was fascinated by the fact that there was a corps from the West Coast.

Needless to say, the "libations" were flowing and everyone was having a great time. My buddy and I joined in with the "group" and it was amazing what we found out the evening. Basically, everyone wasted some good money with their trip to Dallas. It is amazing he power this man had. It almost reminds me of today with a certain indivdual associate with DCI. Back in the earlier days I would have said his name was Don "P" and his entire family who made quite a liviing off of DCI.

"Just Thinking Of The Good Old Days"!!!!!

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Can you say "embezzlement"?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

I imagine CODI, "Brain" (as Malibu accidently called him) will have some good info on the early 80's with Don and his family. The IRS was involved I believe.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:28 am 
All Star
All Star

You know, Dan, this is one of those "Drum Corps Babylon" stories....the dirty little secrets that everybody would love to hear about, but very people have the whole story. I don't have many details on Don's situation, so I won't comment.

I've been compiling such stories over the years, but it's almost a matter of not wanting to tell them until all parties involved are dead and gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

When will the last Kennedy die?
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

OOOOHHHHHHH...........THAT'S SPOOKY!

Probably after the second to the last Kennedy dies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:16 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Heck.....what about Castro??? That man always looks the same!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rafe Drum Corps Recordings!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:49 am 
All Star
All Star

CODI wrote:
Just thinking about the good old days, and I thought about the night of the 1971 VFW Nationals Parade in Dallas, when my buddy and I were able to get up on the Reviewing Stand in front of the Sheraton Dallas, and watched the parade along with Tony "S".

That parade was shown on a tape delay on a Dallas TV station. We got back to our hotel, turned on the TV, and saw ourselves marching down the street. Pretty cool!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:36 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Recordings and the Peace Sign
The Garfield "Peace Sign", born when Pete Emmons and Bobby Hoffman were drawing drills with their fingers on the condensation of a car windshield during a thunderstorm before a rehearsal at the Paterson Armory, was pretty controversial in 1970. It just seemed to make sense with the production tune of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit".
When there was booing from the vets at Nationals (audible on the recording), Bobby was angry. "Boo my kids? I'll make those #%@^'s cheer that drill!"
"How you gonna do that, Hof?", I asked. "You'll see", he replied.
The following year (1971) we wrote an allegorical theme show based on the American Revolution. In the color presentation, the American Flag came straight down the 50 as the corps played "Battle Hymn" and formed the very same Peace Sign. The vets and everyone else stood and cheered like there was no tomorrow. A year to the day later he finished the sentence. "That's how", he said, grinning that grin.

Post subject: Re: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:40 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Jim Anello wrote:
CODI wrote:
Tony "S" was in his glory, doing the introductions.

CODI

I've heard some interesting stories about Mr. Schlecta that may have explained why he always sounded so slurred on those Fleetwood recordings.

Is that the guy who mangled the word Etobicoke in Philly in 1975?
Regards,
John Swartz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

No John, Tony wouldn't have set foot near a DCI show. He was probably in Los Angeles at the time of the 1975 DCI Championship, since the VFW Nationals were out there a few days after DCI. He was strictly a VFW man.

Tony was one of the reasons DCI was formed. The corps were tired of Tony's strong-armed enforcement of antiquated VFW rules and regulations, as well as pitiful financial awards given to the competing corps.

I don't know who announced 1975 DCI. That was one season that usual DCI announcer Brandt Crocker didn't do the p.a. work. The 1975 voice is very familiar as someone who announced other Eastern shows in the early 1970's. He really did do a good butcher job on Etobicoke.

Post subject: Re: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:28 pm 
All Star
All Star

sarnia sam wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
CODI wrote:
Tony "S" was in his glory, doing the introductions.

CODI

I've heard some interesting stories about Mr. Schlecta that may have explained why he always sounded so slurred on those Fleetwood recordings.

Is that the guy who mangled the word Etobicoke in Philly in 1975?
Regards,
John Swartz

No, that's the guy who announced CYO. We have a recording of 1970 CYO where he comes in too early to close out Sac's performace. He really stepped on that impact point. He also referred to Blue Rock as The Blue Rocks. Lovely!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Recordings You Wished You Had!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:39 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Through the years of the CYO Nationals which were held at Boston College, the announcer was Domenic Banculli, who was the director of St Williams Band of Dochester. St Williams Band won the Class A CYO Championship for years and years. I believe they appeared at "The National Dream Contest" in exhibition in the early 60's.
Domenic was very active in the Boston CYO, and was also on The Governors Council Staff for Mass.

Back in the 50's and the 60's, The CYO was quite active with musical groups of all the different parishes in the greater Boston area.

Here are some names that may bring back some great memories!

Class A Bands

St William's Band, Dorchester, Mass.
St. Agne's Band, Arlington, Mass.
St. Peter' Band, South Boston, Mass.
St. Thomas Band, Jamica Plain, Mass.

Class A Drum Corps.
St. Kevin's, Dorchester, Mass.
St. Mary's Beverly, Mass.
St. Rose, Chelsea, Mass.
I. C. Revere, Revere, Mass.
Holy Trinity, Boston, Mass.
Sir Thomas More, Braintree, Mass.

Also there many Class B Bands , Class C Bands, Class B Drum Corps, and Class C Drum Corps.

Many parishes who could not affored the cost of a musical unit would have drill teams, and many won National Championships such as, St. Anthony's "Blue Diamonds" and "The Bell's" of St. Mary's of Hull, Mass.

Just imagine all these groups just in the greater Boston area, "Where have all the flowers gone"?

"Just Thinking Of The Good Old Days"!!!

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next