The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare Recordings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

CODI wrote:
Yes, back in 1968 there was a rumor, and I don't know where it started, but the Eastern Corps were told to stay home because it was going to be a midwest show.

Perhaps the real problem was that Schlecta couldn't pronounce "Massachusetts". :roll:

Quote:
The finals that night were held at the University of Detroit Football Stadium. The temps were in the high 90's the evening and it was very humid!

Do you recall if it rained at any point? I'm still trying to figure out why Fleetwood missed the start of Norwood's show (they were not first to perform), and why Argonne (who did appear first) is the only decent-quality recording of the batch. A rain shower would explain everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
The original 1977 vhs video tapes of the 1977 finals had a TERRIBLE version of the Bridgemen on it. It substituted actual movie film (not video tape) footage in part of their show. I have the complete 1977 Bridgemen video from DCI Midwest (2 weeks prior to DCI finals) and apparently, the company that put together the 1977 video tapes didn't have access to additional video tape of the Bridgemen and pieced the movie footage in there, with bad results.. If the DVD version is better, then DCI must have found a pristine copy somewhere.

It is entirely possible that the better master didn't turn up until DCI moved to Addison. I was working with the audio masters before and after the move, and despite spending many hours searching the Lombard basement, there were numerous masters that didn't turn up until after the move, when things were organized in more spacious accomodations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
I don't know if you saw my earlier posting that those old Fleetwood albums are now being released on CD. Supposedly the masters were destroyed when Drum Corps News burned down some years ago, but most, if not all of the Fleetwood catalog will be coming out on CD.

I think it's now safe to assume the masters were destroyed. The Fleetwood CDs are all being (re)created from a well-preserved collection of LPs. If any master tapes survived that mid-1970s fire, this would have been the time to bring them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:20 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Jim Anello wrote:
There was a pretty good thread about this on RAMD a year or so ago. The Kilts were down to RA by something like 12-14 full points in early August.

When was this? I don't see any bigger gap between those two corps anytime in 1968 than the 8.5 deficit at South Milwaukee prelims on July 20th. Oh, wait - you heard that on RAMD? Never mind.

Post subject: Re: Rare Drum Corps Recordings I Wish I had...and Why
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

While you can't buy copies of these recordings (yet?), you may be a little happier at least knowing that some of them do exist and are being preserved.

Jim Anello wrote:
1975 Muchachos DCI Prelims (snip)
1976 Crossmen (snip)
1976 Kilties (snip)
1977 Bridgemen Prelims (snip)
1972 De La Salle Oaklands (snip)

The 1976 Crossmen were recorded at the World Open finals, and released on an LP by Drum Corps News. A reel-to-reel copy of that recording has also been preserved.

The other four listed above were recorded by Ken Kobold at DCI, and those recordings are in the DCI library. Hopefully, someday, a way to make these publicly available will be found. In fact, both myself and the DCI folks are already starting to investigate whether this new "audio performance download" idea can provide a feasible solution.

In the meantime, a 1976 Kilts recording is available on CD through Drum Corps World. It hasn't been added to the list on the website yet, but it is listed in the paper. Give 'em a call/email if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:53 am 
All Star
All Star

Frank,

FD wrote:
Re: Recordings and the Peace Sign
The Garfield "Peace Sign", born when Pete Emmons and Bobby Hoffman were drawing drills with their fingers on the condensation of a car windshield during a thunderstorm before a rehearsal at the Paterson Armory, was pretty controversial in 1970. It just seemed to make sense with the production tune of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit".

Now THAT I never knew! What a place that armory was! A few years after I left Garfield I heard that the back wall fell down and "that was that" for the armory.

I remember trying to read George's drum music in TERRIBLE lighting when learning the show for 71. We rehearsed downstairs in these tiny little rooms (talk about LOUD) while the horns were in the main area. The place had a cavernous echo...I guess it helped us focus! :lol:

Quote:
When there was booing from the vets at Nationals (audible on the recording), Bobby was angry. "Boo my kids? I'll make those #%@^'s cheer that drill!"
"How you gonna do that, Hof?", I asked. "You'll see", he replied.
The following year (1971) we wrote an allegorical theme show based on the American Revolution. In the color presentation, the American Flag came straight down the 50 as the corps played "Battle Hymn" and formed the very same Peace Sign. The vets and everyone else stood and cheered like there was no tomorrow. A year to the day later he finished the sentence. "That's how", he said, grinning that grin.

I do remember thousands of flashes going off though, as we turned to the stands in Miami in 70m, even with the boos. It was pretty awesome!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:22 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Jim Anello wrote:

1977 Bridgemen Prelims - another case of overage members. DCI never released this, but the corps was HOT.

Jim, check out Ebay, there is a 1977 Cassette up for auction. It says it was recorded by Ken Kobold;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 07270&rd=1

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:01 am 
All Star
All Star

Playing in my mobile boom box are two Fleetwood Recordings I had years ago, copied them to tape ( tapes failed ) and vinyl had been discarded, but CD's came from Fleetwood last Friday! ( They are copied from vinyl, you can hear the crackle and etc. )

Number One - The 1966 American Legion Nationals; Love the Cavs, Great Crusader corps, gutsiest little Golden Knights and Troopers ( you can tell from the crowd when there is a front and the sunburst )!

Number Two - Steel City Spectacular ( 1965 ) Loved this album for the Yankee Rebels - they were just starting to move up and their OTL was none other than a really fast paced CONQUEST - I saw them practicing before a show and if leg lift was the sole measure for acquiring points they would never have lost a contest!

frankiE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Malibu wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:

1977 Bridgemen Prelims - another case of overage members. DCI never released this, but the corps was HOT.

Jim, check out Ebay, there is a 1977 Cassette up for auction. It says it was recorded by Ken Kobold;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 07270&rd=1

Unfortunately the Bridgemen recording is from Finals. We were much better in prelims. To bad there isn't any video of that show. I thought it was the best that year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Mike wrote:
Henny wrote:
Quote:
I do know DCI did include the '77 Bridgemen on their "Legacy" DVD.......you could make an audio version of that as well.

Malibu,

I believe this might be the recording of the finals not the prelims. I remember when marching the prelim that this was the best, along with DCI East Finals, show the corp had put on that year. We were so emotional that I remember seeing kids crying as they were performing. Everyone marching knew we were performing our hearts out. I remember see one of the drum judges, Rodney Goodman (name might be slightly different) also having tears in his eyes. I wish I could get a hold of the recording of that show.

When entering the field the boos were heard, but at the end, the entire stadium was up on there feet with a roar louder than the 76 DCI finals when we fainted.

Rod Goodheart was known as being a bit of a "homer" for Bayonne and the Muchachos. I always wondered if he and Dennis were personal friends or something.

Mike

This is such a typical response from someone who marched with Garfield. There was rumors that Garfield was behind having the Bridgemen disqualified. They needed to somehow make finals!

Post subject: CYO, Eastern Mass
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:26 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I was in St. Ann's in the late 70's and early 80's. It was the end of the heyday and most of the bands you mentioned were gone by the time I got there. We had a great run, with St. William's in Dorchester and Hudson CYO, being our chief rivals. Ours was one of the last if not the last to disband. Some of our guys went on to STAR D & B out of Revere.I really miss it. I wish those bands were around for my kids.

I also loved a spanish song St William's played back then and cannot remember the name. They would play it as we waited to take the fiels after them, and it would send chills down my spine.

Great stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:32 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

So here comes that clap-trap again about Garfield having something to do with Bayonne's DQ in '77.
That's pure nonsense. I know. I was there. The director of another corps approached me the previous week (Whitewater) after the Bayonne kids were challenged, looking for support for the disqualification. I told him to get stuffed.
And that's what you can do with this moribund rumor.

Frank Dorritie
Garfield Staff '70-'77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

If I am not mistaken, St. Ann's still has an active color guard during the winter season!!

I know for a fact St. Ann's Band produced produced some great members of the Boston Crusaders during the mid 60's!

"Just thinking of the good old days"!!

CODI

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:43 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

FD wrote:
I was there. The director of another corps approached me the previous week (Whitewater) after the Bayonne kids were challenged, looking for support for the disqualification. I told him to get stuffed.

Frank Dorritie
Garfield Staff '70-'77

I'm gonna guess that was Bob Lendman, since PR eventually wound up turning the Bridgemen in.

Back on topic, though...............I remember hearing the '76 Kilts, and I doubt that I'd pay to hear that show.

What I used to have a tape of and since have lost is the winning drum ensemble from the 1978 Pioneer Winter Guard show in Cudahy. Don Ellis' "Pu$$y Wiggle Stomp" in 7/8, starring yours truly on the xylophone!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Jim Anello wrote:
Through the kindness of Dan Scarpella, a frequent poster on DCP and a sometimes poster here, I received a mp3 of the original 1976 Madison Scouts show. For those of you who don't know, the show done at finals was a complete re-write. The original show had Shaft as the opener, Mahogony from Diana Ross as the closer, and extended version of Mac Park that had the corps marching for a good portion of the tune, Pick Up the Pieces(I think that was the title - by Average White Band?) and another tune I can't identify. What possessed them to program this show is beyond me. Maybe they were trying to imitate the Next Hot Thing, which back then had to be the Blue Devils. The performance quality is OK, but rough; after all, the recording was probably made in June or early July. But you could hear a lot of talent in that horn line. From what Dan and some other alums said, the complete rewrite of the show was really stressful on the members(I guess that's revealing the obvious), and many kids who could have come back for 1977 opted out.

This is a recording I wanted to have for a while simply for its curiosity value. In a way, it's a case of something being so bad that it is good. It got me thinking about other recordings I wish I had just for history's sake. Here's a partial list:

1975 Muchachos DCI Prelims - as most of you know, Hawthorne was DQed, and the recording was never made commercially available. I know there are mp3s of it floating around, though.

1976 Crossmen - this corps was also DQed after its prelims performance for marching overage members. I've always liked Rick Wakeman, and I think they're the only corps to do Journey to the Center of the Earth. Whether they were good enough to make finals I can't say, but they would have been a very good associate corps.

1976 Kilties - the first of the really bad years for the Kilts - 28th place in prelims. I used to have a GE Brass tape of Dr. Baggs judging this corps at DCI prelims. Basically, he implores the corps to play out and be themselves. Great quote as the corps hits the big push in Don't You Worry About a Thing - "Now the Kilties are being the Kilties!" I also had the GE Percussion tape from Cosmo Barbaro. Quote after Knightsbridge March, the opener - "What can I say? The tune sucks." At any rate, this would be a case of it's so bad it's good.

1968 Kilties and Boston Crusaders at Shriner's International - I heard this once. It's the only recording I known of the '68 Kilts BEFORE Mac Park replaced Serenade for Soprano as the concert. Talk about the Missing Puzzle Piece - the Kilts would have finished 5th or 6th that year if they hadn't made the change. Boston won the show, and apparently they would have been a contender at VFW that year, had they made the decision to go(Dan and Cody - why did they choose not to make the trip?).

1972 De La Salle Oaklands - this is one of those urban legends things. I have a recording of them in a concert setting as part of a DCI preview setting, and they were really good. I was told they got a warning during that season to lose their overage members, and a significant part of their talent supposedly went away as a result. I wish I had a recording of that corps before they lost the overage members, if that urban legend is true.

Care to add to the list?

This is not meant to be a shamless plug, but we still sell vinyl albums.

http://www.drumcorpsvinyl.com

Believe it or not we still sell lots of Vinyl albums. We have tons of people that just want the album, just to say , Hey I was on that when I was a kid. We also frame the albums for people. As far as the 75 Muchachos go, there is guy that sells the "Ken Kobold" recording on ebay. I have talked with one of the top people involved with the DCI Season Pass recordings of the older corps, probably next year, you just might be able to buy the 75 DCI prelims show of the Muchachos on DCI.org, plus a whole lot more of early Ken Kobold stuff from DCI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next