Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1972 27th Lancers
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:32 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Check out beanman's latest addition to his website.....a video clip of the 1972 championships with 27th Lancers! I am very impressed with the level the 6 "trick flags" were performing at. They were certainly waaaay ahead of their time! I believe HOF Peggy Twiggs was one of them!

1972 27th Lancers

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:04 am 
All Star
All Star

So much to like about that corps. You were probably watching two hall of famers in that clip. Zingali was also in that corps.

What I remembered about them was how they used both the end zones and the back sidelines in both their opener and closer. Very unusual at that time. I don't know if they were the only corps to do it, but they certainly were in a minority. Also, I remember that they LOVED company fronts.

I was a student at Whitewater at that time, and my brother and I caught a full show run through in concert formation in front of the dorm where they stayed. The dorm was L-shaped, and there was another dorm nearby, so all the sound was chanelled right at us. One of my early, formative "make your ears bleed" moments as a fan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:01 pm 
All Star
All Star

I still have my "hand held" recording of them from '72 U.S. Open finals. The crowd went nuts for them. Their horns were razor sharp, and only an unbelievable performance by Anaheim would beat them that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, when my brother and I talked with several members, they clearly were in, "What hit us?!?" mode. They had been sailing along all that summer as the power of the East, and then Anaheim came out of nowhere to beat them at both CYO and US Open.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:02 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, Jim, supposedly several Eastern "big boys" turned around and went back home instead of going to Whitewater/DCI, after seeing Anaheim at the U.S. Open. They didn't think the Kingsmen deserved the score they got that night, but as someone who was right there on the 50 yard line, I can say they DID deserve their score, which was 3 points above 27th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:46 am 
All Star
All Star

You know who could have made things very interesting at Whitewater had they participated? St. Rita's Brassmen. They were right there with the Kilties and the Muchachoes at World Open. The Kilties finished 6th in prelims at Whitewater, not too far from Argonne. A disastorous move by the Kilts' drum major - calling mark-time-march when the corps was at parade rest at the end of their concert - caused a train wreck that knocked them down several places. St. Rita's would have certainly made the cut, and they very well might have been the middle of the pack at the 1st DCI Championships. We'll never know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:37 am 
All Star
All Star

The Brassmen are one of the real enigmas of early DCI history. They certainly would have been finalists in '72 (clobbering many of the eventual DCI finalists on a regular basis during the season), and had a decent shot in '73, had they gone. Their shows were the most "radical" of the early '70's.

I think there were financial reasons for the Brassmen staying mostly in their neighborhood, instead of competing in all the major shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
The Brassmen are one of the real enigmas of early DCI history. They certainly would have been finalists in '72 (clobbering many of the eventual DCI finalists on a regular basis during the season), and had a decent shot in '73, had they gone. Their shows were the most "radical" of the early '70's.

Brian,

Do you know what Garfield's 1.8 penalty was at the 72 DCI prelims? We would have outscored the Muchachos, Bleu Raiders and Bridgemen except for the penalty...and made finals, of course.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:49 am 
All Star
All Star

I've never heard specifically what that penalty was for, Mike. I always assumed it was for several small infractions, rather than for one major one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:57 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
I've never heard specifically what that penalty was for, Mike. I always assumed it was for several small infractions, rather than for one major one.

Probably one large one (maybe the whole point) and some little ones...maybe the .8.

I wonder about an overtime penalty possibly...we had a VERY long show, and it got longer as we tweaked it during the year. I have the DVD video of us at Blue Rock's show and an audio CD of DCI prelims, and I actually prefer most of the show from earlier in the year.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 am 
All Star
All Star

Mike wrote:
Brian Tolzmann wrote:

Probably one large one (maybe the whole point) and some little ones...maybe the .8.

I wonder about an overtime penalty possibly...we had a VERY long show, and it got longer as we tweaked it during the year. I have the DVD video of us at Blue Rock's show and an audio CD of DCI prelims, and I actually prefer most of the show from earlier in the year.

Mike

Mike, what I remember about your performance is that you marched in a sauna! It was HOT. You must have been dying in those wool uniforms!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:45 am 
All Star
All Star

Mike, I still have my personal audio recording of Garfield at the '72 U.S. Open. In the middle of your show somebody beneath the bleachers lit off a cherry bomb, which really made the fans jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:47 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
Mike, I still have my personal audio recording of Garfield at the '72 U.S. Open. In the middle of your show somebody beneath the bleachers lit off a cherry bomb, which really made the fans jump.

Gee, I don't remember that.

And yes, our unis were VERY hot!!!

I think the most uncomfortable I ever was happened at a show in Janesville Wisconsin...it was pretty much like prelims.

I mentioned elsewhere that at 71 VFW prelims in Dallas a guy manning the gate told us it was 130 on the field, just as we were about to perform!

Mike

Post subject: A few things
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

I remember Whitewater in 72. I have no idea how we beat Madison & Garfield out of the finals. That was incredible. I saw the tape of 27th. There was a lot right with the way things were done then. I remember hear them for the first time and being scared, very sacred.
No one would happen to have any tapes or pix of the Bleu Raeders in 72 0r 73.
BTW , at the time, I heard some ugly rumors about St. Rita's and why they didn't go to DCI. Back then I wrote it off as sour grapes, I see no reason to change now. But the rumors were flying at World open in '72.............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:14 am 
All Star
All Star

Bill!

I was there at the 1972 U.S. Open when the Bleu Raeders were there. I had a hand-held recording of them from that night, but that particular tape self-destructed before I could transfer it onto another one.