* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A few things
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 am 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
I remember Whitewater in 72. I have no idea how we beat Madison & Garfield out of the finals. That was incredible.

Penalties moved us from 10th to 13th...they still counted! :cry:

Mike

Post subject: Re: A few things
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:02 am 
All Star
All Star

You had a very good Marty Hurley drumline as I recall.

Blurae1 wrote:
I remember Whitewater in 72. I have no idea how we beat Madison & Garfield out of the finals. That was incredible. I saw the tape of 27th. There was a lot right with the way things were done then. I remember hear them for the first time and being scared, very sacred.
No one would happen to have any tapes or pix of the Bleu Raeders in 72 0r 73.
BTW , at the time, I heard some ugly rumors about St. Rita's and why they didn't go to DCI. Back then I wrote it off as sour grapes, I see no reason to change now. But the rumors were flying at World open in '72.............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:19 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Brian,
I just now came across your May 9, 2005 posting regarding St. Rita's Brassmen being a DCI "enigma," in response to Jim Anello's belief that they would have made an impact at the '72 inaugural DCI championships. You stated that it was your belief that the there were financial concerns as to why the Brassmen did not participate in the major shows of '72 and '73. In fact, the Brassmen never joined DCI, and therefore did not compete with the top level corps on a consistent basis. Had they joined, there is no doubt that they would have made an impact.
Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

You're right Cliff. As long as the Brassmen were tied to St. Rita's parish I believe the financial constraints were a major reason they shied away from DCI. When you look at the church-based corps of that era, they started dropping like flies in the early years of the DCI era. Some became self-sufficient (and the Brassmen did sever their church name in the final years) and pulled away from their church sponsors.

I know Brassmen director Carmen Cluna also went his own way, and didn't want to be under DCI's thumb. The Brassmen were the Bridgemen/Velvet Knights of that early DCI era, and Cluna went head-to-head against DCI's rules & regulations on many occasions. I just think the financial strain made it easier to avoid DCI contests.

In those days you could compete in DCI contests without being a DCI member, especially the regionals, where the Brassmen did show up every once in awhile.

Post subject: A few things
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post subject: A few things

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill.. YOU wrote the following:

I remember Whitewater in 72. I have no idea how we beat Madison & Garfield out of the finals. That was incredible. I saw the tape of 27th. There was a lot right with the way things were done then. I remember hear them for the first time and being scared, very sacred.
No one would happen to have any tapes or pix of the Bleu Raeders in 72 0r 73.
BTW , at the time, [u][b]I heard some ugly rumors about St. Rita's [/b][/u]and why they didn't go to DCI. Back then I wrote it off as sour grapes, I see no reason to change now. But the rumors were flying at World open in '72.............

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My response is...

[b]NOTHING ABOUT SOUR GRAPES.. MORE ABOUT [u]NOT[/u] BEING
SHEEP ![/b]

[u]THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION CAN BE FOUND HERE[/u].... [b]http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/dci_link.htm[/b]

[u]AND HERE..[[/u]b]http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/Reg%20Henry.html[/b]

Post subject: Re: 1972 27th Lancers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I marched w/ 27th in 1972. Contra, and 20 yrs old.

Yes, Peggy Twiggs marched with a "trick flag" ( we called them "trickadees") in 1972. George Zingali did not march yet.

"Beanman" is Steve Groh: an outstanding percussionist and funny guy. Rudi Bass and MARCHING timp.

That summer, our show was all over the place. Do you try to please Eastern judges or Mid-west judges? Some (not all) in the East were not impressed by the so-called "trick flags," as well as the utilization of the so-called marching majors (in British red coat, Irish "Danny Boy", and Scottish"Wee MacGregor". In one show, a field judge killed one marching major with a bunch of "tics" because he was "out of step" when he dance a jig.)

The OTL fanfare was changed three times before Whitewater. Drum solos/breaks were re-written four times.

In the Mid-west, some (but not all) were skeptical of the sound of the Rose-Morris authentic Scottish premier pipe band double-snares. We messed around with a form of slide-stepping and with "varying interval" between marchers, as opposed to military interval. Some judges "got it," some judges were skeptical.

And, yes - we loved company fronts. Each winter, we practiced all winter and trained our new members to unconsciously maintain a 27" stride throughout the show, which maximized the visual image of the corps charging at the grandstand. (Modern stride is usually 22.5").

Don't forget: before DCI, local circuits and regional judge associations certified the judges, and local officials controlled the awarding of judging credentials. "Home cooking" was a given:
--- "It's just the way it is." Some shows were DCA rules, some shows followed CYO rules, some were American Legion rules, some were VFW rules .... One corps lost a state championship because they carried a VFW flag but not also a Americam Legion flag: 2 pt penalty dropped them to third place.
-- Garfield had its GE score changed by the chief judge at the VFW Nationals when the formed a PEACE SIGN on the field, offending the chief judge because "our boys are still fighting in Vietnam."

I'll be honest with you: marching in that era was less about scores (because we expected wide variations on any given night and in various regions.) Yeah, it was fun to win, and fun to take top drums or top horns. ZBut - we knew CYO and World Open were not happy that when 27th went "out West" in August because it weakening their draw in the Northeast. We were aware that the folks who ran the National Dream and the VFW Nationals were concerned the new-thing called DCI could threaten the significance of their spectacles when the "road tour" concept caught on and everybody spent weeks too far away to make it back their shows. Looking back, we just wanted to put on a great show and bring the crowd to its feet. We enjoyed marching into the Retreat and have other corps members say, "good show." "You guys were wailing tonight." "Really tight show."

Carry on.

Profile E-mail