What Ever Happened To....?

Reminisce about your memories of those glorious days gone by

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

What Ever Happened To....?

Post by Jim Anello » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Last Saturday, I had the chance to meet Steve Vickers - one really nice guy. The two of us were talking with another gentleman who was a contra in the 1966 Scouts, when they asked me who I marched with. I answered that I did a very brief stint with the Kilties back in 1970, which prompted the question, "What ever happened to Scotty Paulsen(famous Kilts drum major from roughly 1963-1971)." I explained he was in the construction business as of about ten years ago in the Madison area(small world). This prompted some more talk, when the Madison alumnus that would be a great article for an article in DCW, handed me his business card, and asked me to write him with some ideas. Sooooo, any suggestions? These do not have to be limited to junior corps. Here's some to start things off:

Vicki Drummond(D.M. for Blue Rock)
Joe Bruno(Captain Crunch for the Mariners and announcer for many drum corps shows in the Midwest)
Joel Allyne(I may have killed the spelling) - high energy drim major of the De La Salle Oaklands and Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders.
Tom Meredith - aka "Fat Tom", the Kiltie soloist who wailed in "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing."
Rob Carson - SCV Snare drummer from the old days.
Bill Mudge - Kilties baritone soloist in 1968-1968 Chattanooga Choo-Choo.
The bald headed soprano soloist from the '77-79 Guardsmen who finished in Madison. That guy must have been bald when he was 16!

Your ideas?
Last edited by Jim Anello on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Anello

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:51 am

I've always been interested in "Whatever happened to....".

I don't know what happened to these people, but they certainly made their marks on drum corps.

I received Blue Rock's alumni newsletter for some time, and Vicki Drummond was married and living down south some years back. Blue Rock has a website at: bluerock.us they have many photos posted, as well as alumni news.

Joe Bruno has announced other Midwest shows over the years. He was up here at Drum Beauty in Stillwater for about 10 years. I had a nice visit with him back in about 1990. I know he lost his wife some years ago.

Don't know about Joel, although when he was with De La Salle/ Oakland Crusaders he was a computer science major, so maybe he made it big in the tech game.

Tom Meredith was an amazing young "kid" in 1975. Lots of talent there! I was always impressed with the fact that Tom didn't bail on the Kilts in their less-than successful (28th place) 1976 season. He was still there.

Rob Carson was a consultant for many percussion enterprises over the years. Don't know if he stayed in that game or not.

Don't know ANYTHING about Bill Mudge.

I'm not sure who the final person is. Fred Bell was the main Guardsmen soloist in 1978, and he joined the Scouts for the 1979 season. In 1977 he was the great soloist for the Fox Valley Raiders.

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

Post by Jim Anello » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:19 am

The guy from Guardsmen I was thinking of I think was a soloist with Madison in the early eights - 1983?
Jim Anello

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:01 am

I was pretty sure you and I were thinking of two different individuals, Jim. I think Fred Bell had a full head of hair, and I believe '79 was his final season as a junior corps member.

Castguy2003
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:14 am
Location: North of the Cheddar Curtain

Post by Castguy2003 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:14 am

:cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago. I know his father quite well, the man also lost his first wife to a brain tumor.

By the way, what was the name of the Scouts Contra?

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 pm

That is sad news about Tom. I have the 1975 DCI Midwest video (the very first video tape I ever owned in my life....got it in 1976), which did a great job on focusing on Tom during the Kilts segment. He had a way with that horn!

User avatar
cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:16 pm
Location: Laredo, Texas
Contact:

Post by cavies79 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:51 pm

I think the Guardsmen soloist was Ira (can't think of his last name). He went on to be with Madison around 1983?

Hope this helps.

:D
Dennis O. Eveland
Composer/ Arranger/ Band Director
Cavalier Alumni
Laredo, Texas

User avatar
Marianne
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:40 pm
Location: Northern Colorado
Contact:

Post by Marianne » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:25 pm

Maybe you can inquire info on the Guardsmen soloist HERE.
Marianne
BK Rifle 68-74
Trooper Sis: 1984
Trooper Aunt: 2005

Tansea
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 7:35 pm
Location: Tustin, Ca.
Contact:

Post by Tansea » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:41 pm

The last i heard, from reliable sources, Rob Carson became bored with the whole drumming thing and decided he wanted to play the organ. He proceeded to wood shed for a while, this is a second hand story so do not belabor me the lack of detail, played in a pizza parlor to pay his dues and was last seen playing at the Crystal Cathedral in Southern California. Apperently he was at the SCV coprs banquet in '04 after the TOR parade, but alas we probably walked right by one another.
Mike Braga
Santa Clara Vanguard 1973 - 1975
Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978
SCV TOR - 2004

User avatar
scribetoo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Oak Park, IL

Post by scribetoo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 pm

Castguy2003 wrote::cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago.


Are you absolutely sure about that? I was under the impression that Tommy Meredith took over his father's funeral home business in Racine (Maresh-Meredith) some years ago and is still involved in the community.

It doesn't make much sense that the "Tommy Meredith" I've so often heard referred to in Racine over the past few years is Tom's father. Maybe the Tom killed in the accident was Tommy's son?

Stef
*Stefanie
DCP Board of Directors
"Some people are like slinky's. Not really good for anything, but they really bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!"

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

Post by Jim Anello » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:37 pm

scribetoo wrote:
Castguy2003 wrote::cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago.


Are you absolutely sure about that? I was under the impression that Tommy Meredith took over his father's funeral home business in Racine (Maresh-Meredith) some years ago and is still involved in the community.

It doesn't make much sense that the "Tommy Meredith" I've so often heard referred to in Racine over the past few years is Tom's father. Maybe the Tom killed in the accident was Tommy's son?

Stef


Stef, that's what I thought, too. Let me check.
Jim Anello

Castguy2003
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:14 am
Location: North of the Cheddar Curtain

Post by Castguy2003 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:19 am

I am sorry, It was Mike Merideth that was killed, one of the twins. Tom Jr is still alive and well. He sometimes plays trumpet at weddings and such.

Jim Anello wrote:
scribetoo wrote:
Castguy2003 wrote::cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago.


Are you absolutely sure about that? I was under the impression that Tommy Meredith took over his father's funeral home business in Racine (Maresh-Meredith) some years ago and is still involved in the community.

It doesn't make much sense that the "Tommy Meredith" I've so often heard referred to in Racine over the past few years is Tom's father. Maybe the Tom killed in the accident was Tommy's son?

Stef


Stef, that's what I thought, too. Let me check.

User avatar
DDANN
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Markham

Post by DDANN » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:32 am

Hey Jim.
Joel is alive and well and living in Toronto.
Check out www.delasalle-drumcorps.com ;; click on "events"; the the DOCA Golf Tournament; then "check the shots" for a picture of Joel with three other DOCA alumni from his era.
De La Salle "Oaklands" 1955 - 1963
Canada's Marching Ambassadors 1965 - 1967
Toronto Signals 2000 - 2001
DCAT (Drum Corps Alumni Toronto) 1996 - Present
Preston Scout House Alumni 2001 - Present
Bridgemen Alumni 2005 - Present

MaxwellNotes
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:53 am
Contact:

Post by MaxwellNotes » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:04 am

Jim Anello wrote:The guy from Guardsmen I was thinking of I think was a soloist with Madison in the early eights - 1983?

Ira Arneson was his name, Great guy and great player!

MaxwellNotes
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:53 am
Contact:

Post by MaxwellNotes » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:05 am

Brian Tolzmann wrote:I was pretty sure you and I were thinking of two different individuals, Jim. I think Fred Bell had a full head of hair, and I believe '79 was his final season as a junior corps member.
Fred Bell still lives in Madison

Post Reply