The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Ever Happened To....?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Last Saturday, I had the chance to meet Steve Vickers - one really nice guy. The two of us were talking with another gentleman who was a contra in the 1966 Scouts, when they asked me who I marched with. I answered that I did a very brief stint with the Kilties back in 1970, which prompted the question, "What ever happened to Scotty Paulsen(famous Kilts drum major from roughly 1963-1971)." I explained he was in the construction business as of about ten years ago in the Madison area(small world). This prompted some more talk, when the Madison alumnus that would be a great article for an article in DCW, handed me his business card, and asked me to write him with some ideas. Sooooo, any suggestions? These do not have to be limited to junior corps. Here's some to start things off:

Vicki Drummond(D.M. for Blue Rock)
Joe Bruno(Captain Crunch for the Mariners and announcer for many drum corps shows in the Midwest)
Joel Allyne(I may have killed the spelling) - high energy drim major of the De La Salle Oaklands and Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders.
Tom Meredith - aka "Fat Tom", the Kiltie soloist who wailed in "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing."
Rob Carson - SCV Snare drummer from the old days.
Bill Mudge - Kilties baritone soloist in 1968-1968 Chattanooga Choo-Choo.
The bald headed soprano soloist from the '77-79 Guardsmen who finished in Madison. That guy must have been bald when he was 16!

Your ideas?

Last edited by Jim Anello on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:51 am 
All Star
All Star

I've always been interested in "Whatever happened to....".

I don't know what happened to these people, but they certainly made their marks on drum corps.

I received Blue Rock's alumni newsletter for some time, and Vicki Drummond was married and living down south some years back. Blue Rock has a website at: bluerock.us they have many photos posted, as well as alumni news.

Joe Bruno has announced other Midwest shows over the years. He was up here at Drum Beauty in Stillwater for about 10 years. I had a nice visit with him back in about 1990. I know he lost his wife some years ago.

Don't know about Joel, although when he was with De La Salle/ Oakland Crusaders he was a computer science major, so maybe he made it big in the tech game.

Tom Meredith was an amazing young "kid" in 1975. Lots of talent there! I was always impressed with the fact that Tom didn't bail on the Kilts in their less-than successful (28th place) 1976 season. He was still there.

Rob Carson was a consultant for many percussion enterprises over the years. Don't know if he stayed in that game or not.

Don't know ANYTHING about Bill Mudge.

I'm not sure who the final person is. Fred Bell was the main Guardsmen soloist in 1978, and he joined the Scouts for the 1979 season. In 1977 he was the great soloist for the Fox Valley Raiders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:19 am 
All Star
All Star

The guy from Guardsmen I was thinking of I think was a soloist with Madison in the early eights - 1983?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:01 am 
All Star
All Star

I was pretty sure you and I were thinking of two different individuals, Jim. I think Fred Bell had a full head of hair, and I believe '79 was his final season as a junior corps member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:14 am 
Rookie
Rookie

:cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago. I know his father quite well, the man also lost his first wife to a brain tumor.

By the way, what was the name of the Scouts Contra?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

That is sad news about Tom. I have the 1975 DCI Midwest video (the very first video tape I ever owned in my life....got it in 1976), which did a great job on focusing on Tom during the Kilts segment. He had a way with that horn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:51 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I think the Guardsmen soloist was Ira (can't think of his last name). He went on to be with Madison around 1983?

Hope this helps.

:D

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:25 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Maybe you can inquire info on the Guardsmen soloist HERE.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The last i heard, from reliable sources, Rob Carson became bored with the whole drumming thing and decided he wanted to play the organ. He proceeded to wood shed for a while, this is a second hand story so do not belabor me the lack of detail, played in a pizza parlor to pay his dues and was last seen playing at the Crystal Cathedral in Southern California. Apperently he was at the SCV coprs banquet in '04 after the TOR parade, but alas we probably walked right by one another.

SCV TOR - 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Castguy2003 wrote:
:cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I was under the impression that Tommy Meredith took over his father's funeral home business in Racine (Maresh-Meredith) some years ago and is still involved in the community.

It doesn't make much sense that the "Tommy Meredith" I've so often heard referred to in Racine over the past few years is Tom's father. Maybe the Tom killed in the accident was Tommy's son?

Stef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:37 pm 
All Star
All Star

scribetoo wrote:
Castguy2003 wrote:
:cry: Unfortunatly, Tom Merideth was killed in a traffic accident some years ago.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I was under the impression that Tommy Meredith took over his father's funeral home business in Racine (Maresh-Meredith) some years ago and is still involved in the community.

It doesn't make much sense that the "Tommy Meredith" I've so often heard referred to in Racine over the past few years is Tom's father. Maybe the Tom killed in the accident was Tommy's son?

Stef

Stef, that's what I thought, too. Let me check.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I am sorry, It was Mike Merideth that was killed, one of the twins. Tom Jr is still alive and well. He sometimes plays trumpet at weddings and such.

Jim Anello wrote:
scribetoo wrote:
Castguy2003 wrote:

Stef

Stef, that's what I thought, too. Let me check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Jim.
Joel is alive and well and living in Toronto.
Check out www.delasalle-drumcorps.com ;; click on "events"; the the DOCA Golf Tournament; then "check the shots" for a picture of Joel with three other DOCA alumni from his era.

DCAT (Drum Corps Alumni Toronto) 1996 - Present
Preston Scout House Alumni 2001 - Present
Bridgemen Alumni 2005 - Present

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Jim Anello wrote:
The guy from Guardsmen I was thinking of I think was a soloist with Madison in the early eights - 1983?

Ira Arneson was his name, Great guy and great player!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
I was pretty sure you and I were thinking of two different individuals, Jim. I think Fred Bell had a full head of hair, and I believe '79 was his final season as a junior corps member.

Fred Bell still lives in Madison