Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What about Osage?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:32 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

What about Osage? Anyone out there able to remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Finalist quality horn line. Solid DCI associate.

Nah, can't remember a thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:31 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

They played all of that Tower of Power stuff. Squib Cakes off the line and some Chic Corea drum solo-- "Spain" I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:42 am 
All Star
All Star

I first saw them back in 1972, when they competed at the U.S. Open in Class 'A'. Their horn scores were always way ahead of the game. (They didn't even make finals in '72, but took top GE brass!) and their flashy uniforms of 1975 actually predate the Bridgemen's by one year.

The 1976 Precisionnaires placed 22nd at DCI, (placing top 25 was VERY hard to do in those days!) with a corps that had only about 50 members in it a month earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

We've had a few FMM's on this board in the past. I managed to get some recordings of them through those contacts.

Spelling test: Were they the Precissionaires or Precisionnaires? (Brian has it right above)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Osage
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 pm 
All Star
All Star

Well we called them Osausage. Heh.

Anyway, we stayed with them in '76 for US Open in Upper Sandusky OH.

One of them yelled across the gym "what are you wearing to finals?"

A cool instructor named Fritz Hartung said "our uniforms".

Thank God we lived up to Fritz's expectations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

I was a summer school student at Whitewater during the first DCI championships. Osage stayed at the elementary school across the street from where I lived.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

These folks were 'way ahead of their time in terms of musical interpretation of jazz and funk, and in the long run had significant impact on the repertoire and style of several nationally ranked corps.
I was brash enough to think I knew something about jazz, but my friend (and DCI brass judge) Rich DeCola said to me, "Wait 'till your dig these cats from the cornfields!" Then I saw them. He was right. They blew my mind. It was like going back to school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 am 
All Star
All Star

You're right, Frank. The Precisionnaires are one of those corps who accomplished things on the field that are unheard of today.

At the 1973 DCI Championship prelims, Osage was 25th place, but their GE percussion score was SECOND....I repeat...SECOND PLACE!!!! (Losing only to the world champion Santa Clara Vanguard.) Those things don't happen anymore.

I'm going to be writing about such amazing accomplishments in a future issue of Drum Corps World. There were many corps that had success in one or more areas that wouldn't have been expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:26 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
You're right, Frank. The Precisionnaires are one of those corps who accomplished things on the field that are unheard of today.

At the 1973 DCI Championship prelims, Osage was 25th place, but their GE percussion score was SECOND....I repeat...SECOND PLACE!!!! (Losing only to the world champion Santa Clara Vanguard.) Those things don't happen anymore.

I'm going to be writing about such amazing accomplishments in a future issue of Drum Corps World. There were many corps that had success in one or more areas that wouldn't have been expected.

Kinda scary to think what would have happened if you combined Osage's drums with Argonne's horns in '73.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:38 am 
All Star
All Star

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, I almost forgot......................

!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:03 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I remember their rendition of What is Hip.....Rich DeCola was right. I saw them blow into Philly in a cloud of blue smoke.

Post subject: Osage cooked!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I too was blown away by Osage when I say them in Philly in '75. What a fantastic book...Squib Cakes, Saetr, 40,000 Headmen, Spain, Paper Moon, Strawberry Soup and the Ellis chart Slatka Pitka. Way ahead of their time! I believe their lead bari soloist was also the brass caption head.

Loved those gold spats too!

Madison Scouts volunteer '10
Men of Brass '07
Chicago Royal-Airs '02 -'05
DCW staff '74 - '10
Belleville Black Knights '66, brass staff '69-'72

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

I actually watched the 1975 Precisionnaires perform their field show from the 57th floor of the IDS Center in downtown Minneapolis. They were competing at the Minneapolis Aquatennial contest at Parade Stadium, and I had seen quite a few contests that week, so I decided to experiment with the "high altitude" viewing. Very interesting visually..............but it was a bit hard to hear the music.

Post subject: Re: What about Osage?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:02 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I marched snare in both '75 and '76. I and 2 other drum line members hailed from St. Paul, Minnesota, refugees from the disintegration of the St. Paul Scouts. We just missed finals in '75; missing out to the Troopers who took the last spot and the Sacramento Freelancers who placed 14th. We should have been in there, but we were not as focused as we could have been at the staff level; basically a pulling in different directions between musical and visual staffs that was not productive. Of course, it's hard to recognize these things when you're 17 years old. Some differences also existed between some of the players and player/instructors in the drum line and the caption head who was also a St. Paul native and wrote all the charts for that year except for Paper Moon, which was a holdover from prior seasons. Despite all this, we did almost make it, and probably would have if we had been a bit more relaxed and less stressed-out at prelims, where we did not put on the show we were capable of.
Due in great part to the great sense of disappointment with the outcome of the 1975 season, there was a mass exodus from the ranks prior to the beginning of the '76 season. The truth is, in May of that year things looked so bad (27 people in the horn line), that throwing in the towel on the year and maybe even permanently looked like the easiest way out. But somehow, people who were unwilling to let that happen ("Doc Crosser, Corps Director, and Randy Dupre and Bob Hagglund, drum and horn instructors respectively) hung on tenaciously to the belief that we could still have a respectable season, and were able to communicate that belief and desire to the remnant of marching members still on the ship, and despite all odds, we were able to pull off a season that if anything, I was more proud of than the previous year's, despite our objectively lower finish at DCI. It took recruiting on a level of intensity that can't even be imagined; (we actually had people who left their corps to join ours on the spur of the moment, sometimes actually jumping off their bus after a show with all their gear and getting on ours. I know there were at least a couple horn players that did this. They usually marched "plug" (non-playing) for a few shows until they learned the tunes, then they were right in there blowing with the rest. As for that horn line, they were probably tied with Madison for the distinction of being the loudest (we were with Madison, Phantom, Troopers, and I don't remember who else for the first Drums Along the Rockies tour in 1975, so I'm in a position to know) of that '74-'76 period. Anyway, it was fun and crazy. Unfortunately, the corps broke up after that year. I marched my remaining career with the Edmonton, Alberta First Canadian Regiment in 1977 and back to my hometown with the Blue Knights in 1978.

Profile E-mail