Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drum Corps World 1967 Legion/CYO DVD
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:23 pm 
All Star
All Star

I've been meaning to write about this for a while. Somebody else posted about this DVD earlier this spring, and it motivated me to order it.

Lots of questions for old timers who frequent this board, but I'll start off with two.

First, was the soprano soloist for St. Lucy's the same person who soloed with Boston in their 1969 opener of Conquest? The kid on this DVD has terrific articulation - his tongueing really cuts like no one else on any of the recordings.

Second, outside of the Troopers and the Kilties that year, did anyone in that era march in curvelinear forms like arcs and sunbursts? I saw a ton of echelons, blocks and straight lines ( or attempts at straight lines), but no curved lines.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:39 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Centorino did the solo work with Boston in 1969, and he was with them 1967-71, so he wouldn't have been with St. Lucy's that year. I don't know who did the work for St. Lucy's. I checked the Buglers Hall of Fame, to see if that person was listed, but Lucy's doesn't have anyone on the list. (Centorino is there.) Hopefully FD can shed some light on this one. I'm sure he would know the St. Lucy's soloist.

I wasn't watching drum corps in 1967, so I can't comment much on the other question. From all I've read in the accounts of the day, I think your observations on drill formations are accurate. FD (and others) could give their expertise here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:18 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
Jim Centorino did the solo work with Boston in 1969, and he was with them 1967-71, so he wouldn't have been with St. Lucy's that year. I don't know who did the work for St. Lucy's. I checked the Buglers Hall of Fame, to see if that person was listed, but Lucy's doesn't have anyone on the list. (Centorino is there.) Hopefully FD can shed some light on this one. I'm sure he would know the St. Lucy's soloist.

St Lucy's sop soloist in 69 was a guy named Manny Salort (sp?). He was a marvelous player...but a mess of a person...probably already an alchoholic at that young age. He may have been the guy in 67...not sure. It really was a shame how little control the guy had over his own behavior.

After Lucy's was disbanded after the 69 season, Manny came down to Blessed Sac while I was there deciding on which corps to join...BS or Garfield. I don't know if he made it through the winter with them given his personal issues. Would have made an amazing duo if he did...teamed up with BS great solist Bill Pusey (who soloed in the marvelous closer "Free Again" in 69/70).

BTW...the great Cabs DM Jimmy Russo was in St Lucy's then...he was DM in at least 69...not sure about 67.

Quote:
I wasn't watching drum corps in 1967, so I can't comment much on the other question. From all I've read in the accounts of the day, I think your observations on drill formations are accurate. FD (and others) could give their expertise here too.

My own memory of those days is almost totally straight line drills...echelons, squad moves, etc...very little curvilinear.

Mike, Garfield 70-72

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:51 pm 
All Star
All Star

Troopers did a sunburst each year. Started in the early 60's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

Ghost wrote:
Troopers did a sunburst each year. Started in the early 60's.

I acknowledged that in my original post. Did you miss it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:21 am 
All Star
All Star

The popular drill move in 1967 seemed to be the criss-cross pattern of squads interlieving from opposite sides ( Royal Airs and Garfield)
not to mention OTL company fronts for various distances!

semi-linear drill was in it's infancy then, the Cavaliers were pretty radical with their formations and presentation of soloists, although not linear

you will also notice the squads of three and one flag as a basic drill unit

for Mike : Jim Russo probably was the DM in 1967, he had brought many Fair Lawn Cadets over to St. Lucy's ( along with himself )

for Jim : and a question for FD? If you really want to hear some great tongueing, get a copy of " The Joker " by the Sunrisers, and also " Flight of the Bumble Bee" by the Skyliners.

The St. Lucy's soprano had it all: range, tone, volume ( sounded just as great in person ) One year waiting for new uniforms, they marched in " Rented Tuxedos", which was just too cool to see with that screaming hornline

8-)

I got a hoot out of the two uniformed servicemen trying to figure out when they were to stand and return salute to DM's and honor guard and what to do about soloists! ( chair section on 50 yard line barely populated )

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:17 am 
All Star
All Star

FD himself was a Sunrisers soloist extraordinaire in those days. He and John Arietano (both of them are in the Buglers Hall of Fame) did the majority of the Sunrisers solos, and I presume they did the work on The Joker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:29 am 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
FD himself was a Sunrisers soloist extraordinaire in those days. He and John Arietano (both of them are in the Buglers Hall of Fame) did the majority of the Sunrisers solos, and I presume they did the work on The Joker.

I was hoping FD would reply to the affirmative, in 1966 Arietano was still honing his screech notes alongside me in the Little Falls (NJ) Cadets, I think 'The Joker" was first played around 1965.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:44 am 
All Star
All Star

I know the Sunrisers did The Joker many years, and even did it as recently as 1980. Arietano maybe did solos on it in later years.

I'm sure the guys from the Skyliners who did Flight Of The Bumblebee are Bugler Hall of Famers, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Sorry about missing my cue. I've been pre-occupied with grading my college students' semester accomplishments.
Now, about Manny Salort: He was a natural, a real bugling savant who was in the Bronx (NY) Kingsmen prior to St. Lucy's, if I remember correctly. He also did a brief stint in the Skyliners. Everybody wanted this kid. When he stepped out to solo, he owned the stadium. He did have a tragically short life, but his flame burned brightly.
Thanks for the kudos on "The Joker", arranged by the great John Sasso for the Sunrisers in '66. The original trio consisted of Paul Calcagno (later soloist with Minn. Brass), Bob Murphy and yours truly. In '67 and '68, adding John Arietano made it a quartet. Screech played the high obbligato, not the triple tonguing, though he certainly could have handled that.
There's a photo from the '67 Dream at www.Sunrisers.com showing Murphy, Pete Fedyck, Arietano and me in mid-Joker. For some reason, the tune became the Sunriser signature piece over the years, and Screech re-arranged it a few seasons later, when they were at their peak. It was always a gas to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:46 am 
All Star
All Star

FD wrote:
Sorry about missing my cue. I've been pre-occupied with grading my college students' semester accomplishments.
Now, about Manny Salort: He was a natural, a real bugling savant who was in the Bronx (NY) Kingsmen prior to St. Lucy's, if I remember correctly. He also did a brief stint in the Skyliners. Everybody wanted this kid. When he stepped out to solo, he owned the stadium. He did have a tragically short life, but his flame burned brightly.

Frank,

Glad you chimed in...

I didn't know Manny passed away...apparently long ago...but I'm not surprised...one heck of a talented player, for sure!

I wonder if Manny did the "pccolo" solo in "Stars and Stripes" when the Kingsmen played it around 66.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:18 am 
All Star
All Star

Please clue in the ignorant. The tune "Joker". I've never heard of that one. Where did it come from & who did it originally........Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Blurae1 wrote:
Please clue in the ignorant. The tune "Joker". I've never heard of that one. Where did it come from & who did it originally........Bill

Comes from the musical, "Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd"

Racine Explorer Scouts first bass-bari Bill Adamski played the solo before concert. He moved on to the Troopers in 68 or 69 then the Marine D&B Corps. He died in a traffic accident sometime around 1970.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yes I did Jim. Sorry. I believe the Jolly Jesters did some "follow the leader" type drills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:47 pm 
All Star
All Star

A few weeks back I saw Steve Vickers and complimented him on this DVD. He mentioned that a DVD of some of 1970 VFW Nationals is in the works.

Profile E-mail