The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:29 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
A few weeks back I saw Steve Vickers and complimented him on this DVD. He mentioned that a DVD of some of 1970 VFW Nationals is in the works.

Really? Hmmm....we made finals...be nice for me if Garfield was recorded, as I have 71 and 72 from drumcorpsvideos.com, but no video of 70.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

Larry McCormick did videos of VFW Nationals beginning in 1968. He made his video-taping service available to all drum corps (who had the money to use it), and advertised this service in full-page ads in Drum Corps Digest, Drum Corps News, etc.. He is said to have full finals videos from those years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

Mike wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
A few weeks back I saw Steve Vickers and complimented him on this DVD. He mentioned that a DVD of some of 1970 VFW Nationals is in the works.

Really? Hmmm....we made finals...be nice for me if Garfield was recorded, as I have 71 and 72 from drumcorpsvideos.com, but no video of 70.

Mike

I thought he mentioned the first five corps in prelims going to be on the DVD. Makes me think it has something to do with lighting. If you were in that bunch, you'd be on the DVD. Oooh, the fabled Whie Rabbit/Peace Sign show - Tony Schlecta's favorite!

Come to think of it, so would the Cavaliers. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this story, the Cavies were a solid top three corps for Nats until they hit prelims. A major violation was uncovered, and the Cavies were penalized so badly that they finished 11th in prelims.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

Following e-mail received tonight.

I will have to think what happened at the Prelims.

It was held at Flamingo H.S. Football Field. How is that for a memory!!!!!

Boston had already gone on and did a hell of a job. It was hot, hot, hot, hot, hot!!!!!

All of Boston staff had left.

Chicago was announced, and they left the sound system on during their performance.

Also, I believe they had a two pt pen. for a flag violation.

The staff of Chicago went out of their minds.

Now here I am in a bathing suit, and a BC Tee shirt, and a MDC orange life guard hat enjoying the show, when they announce that all staff report to the house at the end of the field. Needless to say nobody was around to represent Boston, so I took charge. I advised them I was representing Boston.

Chicago wanted to go on again in the prelims, since they were saying they were getting "feed back" from the open mics. When it did not happen, and you know how nice I can be in situations like this, I raised hell. I stated that I was in the stands, and no way did the feed back hurt their perf. They were trying to beat the 2pt. pen.

Cavs came on strong that night, but did not deserve their finish. Sac should have been in front of them.

That was the night when we arrived at the Orange Bowl, and Madison Scouts had about 4 rows reserved, but there was not reserved seating, and we along with SAC'
s alumni took the seats. Madison ran away.

Needless to say the Trooper won that night, it was highway robbery.

I was down on the starting line that night and Jack Whalen was the judge on timing and Pen., and before the gun was fired, he said. Eatum Boston, Do the job, and win tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

Ghost wrote:
Needless to say the Trooper won that night, it was highway robbery.

We went through this with Dan Kelly last year. It must have been heartbreaking to come so close to winning that night. All the same, you did tie the Kilties for 4th place in M & M. If you had marched as well as you played, you would have won.

As for Sac, they marched even worse - 8th in M & M. Heck, Belleville beat them in M & M!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

Brian Tolzmann wrote:
Larry McCormick did videos of VFW Nationals beginning in 1968. He made his video-taping service available to all drum corps (who had the money to use it), and advertised this service in full-page ads in Drum Corps Digest, Drum Corps News, etc.. He is said to have full finals videos from those years.

Oooh, I'd pay good money for a video of the top 5 from that show!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:24 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
We went through this with Dan Kelly last year.

Dan sent me the e-mail that he received from CODI, both who have left the SM scene, at least as far as entering posts. Don't know who brought this up last year, but CODI was the "reporter"/BAC rep on the scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:53 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

VFW Finals in '70 was a heady trip. After Garfield performed, my work day was over so I took up a position in the backfield stands and watched the rest of the show with a couple of buddies, getting more or less a corps-member's view of the proceedings.
My fellow Gerry Shellmer enthusiast Ghost and I thus had a 180 degree difference in perspective when Boston performed, assuming he was around front watching his corps. Conquest rocked. Centorino wailed. I never heard such a roar emanate from a drum corps crowd. The Crusaders filled the stadium with incredible sound and fury and the audience responded in kind. Denon and Shellmer had set a new standard in corps music. Sac was brilliant, but Boston had raised the bar. I was certain they won.
But the Troopers came to play too, and especially to march. They were a sight to behold, precision personified at a previously unseen level. And then they hit the circle, and the crowd roar equalled Boston's, this time accompanied by literally thousands of flashbulbs going off in the course of about five seconds, all directly in my face. Only about half the Troopers could see this as the rest were expanding the great circle to the sides and back, but my friends and I took the full force. "Surreal " doesn't begin to describe it. To this day I can close my eyes and relive that moment.
Either of those corps could have won that night. For me, both did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

My younger brother marched Nats with the Kilties that year. As the defending champion, they went on last. One of his dominant memories was standing on the ready line and watching the crowd standing as the Troopers' company front in Johnny Comes Marching Home proceeded to the end zone. It was an "oh S#@*%$t" moment for him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
Please clue in the ignorant. The tune "Joker". I've never heard of that one. Where did it come from & who did it originally........Bill

this link will answer your question!

http://www.sunrisers.com/audio/joker.mp3

yowza! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:24 am 
All Star
All Star

FD wrote:
VFW Finals in '70 was a heady trip. After Garfield performed, my work day was over so I took up a position in the backfield stands and watched the rest of the show with a couple of buddies, getting more or less a corps-member's view of the proceedings.

But the Troopers came to play too, and especially to march. They were a sight to behold, precision personified at a previously unseen level. And then they hit the circle, and the crowd roar equalled Boston's, this time accompanied by literally thousands of flashbulbs going off in the course of about five seconds, all directly in my face.

Frank,

I have a similar memory of our Peace Sign drill in Miami when we turned and hit the stands during Don's soprano solo. Flashbulbs were going off all over the place. Since you may have been looking at the corps...I wonder if you got the impact of that moment.

I have a CD of that performance on the three-CD set YEA! is selling of Garfield from 60-72...Schlechta sounded VERY underwhelmed when he introduced us at the start of our show! :D

Do you recall the baritone duet in "Laia la Daia" (sp?), our concert entry piece? SOMETHING happened to those two guys...it sounds awful...like they forgot half the music and just kind of riffed it.

OTOH..."White Rabbit" was great, as was the "Promises, Promises" medley closer!

Finally....the "Paint Your Wagon" medley for concert. Who chose that to replace the Beatle's medley midseason, if you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 am 
Veteran
Veteran

You're right, Mike. I was on the front sideline watching the corps and was so focused on the performance I never noticed those flashes during "White Rabbit". I can't really comment on the "Lia Ladia" duet since I don't recall it crashing and don't think I've ever heard that recording. Now you've got me curious.
The very talented Dennis Dewey played the bari solo in "Paint Your Wagon". That, combined with the fact that he actually was born in that state, earned him the nick-name of "Kansas". You probably know that, like you, he went on to a successful career in music education.
John Sasso did all the arranging (except for the coda of "Rabbit", my first foray into the big time). I'm not sure why "Day Tripper" was replaced. Perhaps (director) Hugh Mahon had been given some advice about balancing the psychadelic tune with some down-home middle-American values. That's pure speculation on my part. I'll have to ask him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

FD wrote:
You're right, Mike. I was on the front sideline watching the corps and was so focused on the performance I never noticed those flashes during "White Rabbit". I can't really comment on the "Lia Ladia" duet since I don't recall it crashing and don't think I've ever heard that recording. Now you've got me curious.

Well, maybe that's just the way is was supposed to sound...it seems sort of tentative on the CD...I do have another album (yes, vinyl) of the 70 show...early season at Bridgeport....I'll give it a listen when/if I get my turntable fixed.

I remember one time the anouncer announced that tune as "Lay a Lady". :shock:

My folks were at that local NJ show and said they could see our plumes shaking as we tried to not laugh at that one.

Quote:
The very talented Dennis Dewey played the bari solo in "Paint Your Wagon". That, combined with the fact that he actually was born in that state, earned him the nick-name of "Kansas". You probably know that, like you, he went on to a successful career in music education.

Dennis is still teaching out on the Island...had a kidney transplant a few years back.

I've been in correspondence on the YEA board Cadet alumni site with his younger sister...I'm sending her my email to give to Dennis.

A good friend of Dennis' came out from Kansas for 71...forget his name...he took over the name Kansas! I think he was from the Skyriders.

Quote:
John Sasso did all the arranging (except for the coda of "Rabbit", my first foray into the big time). I'm not sure why "Day Tripper" was replaced. Perhaps (director) Hugh Mahon had been given some advice about balancing the psychadelic tune with some down-home middle-American values. That's pure speculation on my part. I'll have to ask him.

I always wiondered that...it was saw an AWFUL film...with pretty lame music, IMO. You may be right though. We had paired "Day Tripper" with "Paperback Writer" in the original concert, if memory serves.

The ending of WR was prett darn good...those mello rips cut right through on the CD! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 am 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
I always wiondered that...it was saw an AWFUL film...with pretty lame music, IMO. You may be right though. We had paired "Day Tripper" with "Paperback Writer" in the original concert, if memory serves.

The ending of WR was prett darn good...those mello rips cut right through on the CD! :D

" They Call the wind Maria"

" Wandering Star "

" I talk to the trees "

You call that pretty lame music? :evil:

Post subject: The Joker
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Truman Crawford arranged this tune as a concert for the Royal Airs after the passing of Bill Evans, corps business manager. RA was going to play this in 1969.

He did bring it to RA senior rehearsal in 2003, but we never really worked on it.

Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next