Drum Corps World 1967 Legion/CYO DVD

Reminisce about your memories of those glorious days gone by

Moderator: The Moderating Team

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:45 am

That little Star Wars teaser drove the fans nuts in '77. I was there in Whitewater that year, too (very cold night), and I also went to DCI in Denver that summer. I still remember that I thought back then it was probably one of the most entertaining starts to a championship show (they were 2nd to appear in the lineup that night).

I still say '77 Garfield is easily the most entertaining last place corps to appear at DCI finals.

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:06 am

Brian Tolzmann wrote:That little Star Wars teaser drove the fans nuts in '77. I was there in Whitewater that year, too (very cold night), and I also went to DCI in Denver that summer. I still remember that I thought back then it was probably one of the most entertaining starts to a championship show (they were 2nd to appear in the lineup that night).

I still say '77 Garfield is easily the most entertaining last place corps to appear at DCI finals.


Agreed. Their staff seemed to have their kids nice and loose. They'd just let it fly! It was too bad their drum line couldn't hold up their end; they would have been much better than 12th place.
Jim Anello

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:47 am

Yeah, Jim, for a 12th place corps at prelims they were a very strong 6th in total GE and an amazingly strong 4th in total brass............

But then came that percussion score...........23rd place! OUCH!!!

Even the Marquis, who took 27th place at prelims, beat Garfield's percussion score.

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

Post by Jim Anello » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:28 pm

Brian Tolzmann wrote:Yeah, Jim, for a 12th place corps at prelims they were a very strong 6th in total GE and an amazingly strong 4th in total brass............

But then came that percussion score...........23rd place! OUCH!!!

Even the Marquis, who took 27th place at prelims, beat Garfield's percussion score.


Reminds me of the '75 Kilties.
Jim Anello

User avatar
Brian Tolzmann
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by Brian Tolzmann » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 am

Exactly.

In '75 the Kilties had good percussion (2nd at DCI finals), but mediocre brass (17th at prelims....even beaten in brass by the 31st place Guardsmen).

vscotello
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Post by vscotello » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Straight lines are good.
Scotello

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 5:47 am

Post by Jim Anello » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:23 am

vscotello wrote:Straight lines are good.


Tell me this isn't who I think it is.
Jim Anello

vscotello
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Post by vscotello » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I actually think Santa Clara used curves most effectively in the early years. Unless you are refereing to poorly executed fronts that only looked like curves. Then their could be a lot of contenders.
Scotello

User avatar
Jim Welling
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:26 am
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Post by Jim Welling » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Brian Tolzmann wrote:Exactly.

In '75 the Kilties had good percussion (2nd at DCI finals), but mediocre brass (17th at prelims....even beaten in brass by the 31st place Guardsmen).

I concur totally the 75 Kilts Brass had no depth, its a shane because each section had serious soloists, I remember a week before Nats the Kilts recruiting non-players teaching them the drill and then how to play a horn on the bus. ( I was a drummer in a Youth Band and I was approached to play melo but declined)
That drum-ine was tight which contrasted and exemplified the weekness of the horns
F.Zappa "'Conducting' is when you draw `designs' in the nowhere -- with your stick, or with your hands -- which are interpreted as `instructional messages' by guys wearing bow ties who wish they were fishing."

Post Reply