* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The restrooms and the whale
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:28 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

DCImonkey wrote:
Evansville IN, school in the middle of a corn field. We were waiting on the baseball players from "Field of Dreams" to come walking out and join our rehearsal....or maybe corps members who have since passed! :)
Hey, we were there - wait - no that was in oHIo. The interstate exit led to a red dirt road that had the school to one side and a house on the other. The folks in the house called the cops at dusk (8 or 9pm). Of course we were used to that because the folks who lived behind our home rehersal hall always called the cops. Local laws said sound couldn't be over a certain dB level after 10pm. The cop who usually came was one of the member's dad so we never got a ticket.

csunbass97-99 wrote:
We ended up practicing in the boys bathroom.
That was a regular thing for us. I would bet that our rehearsal hall had the cleanest boys restrooms/showers anywhere. Last sectional before final run through, we were in the guy's restroom for the acoustics. Now that I think on it, although we thought it was "normal" by tour, when we stayed with the Mandarins they kinda stayed a little farther away after one of those rehearsals.

In '89 we had this thing we affectionately called the whale. It was PVC pipe formed into a prism shape (3-d triangle). The front had venetian blinds and a set of silks. It was on large wheels and light so 1 person could get it on and off the field for shows. In Denver the school we were at had a beautiful field. No one bothered to take the time to explore all the way to the edge. The wind came up and we (the brass line & M&M staff) were entertained by the guard chasing after it…

...until it literally rolled over the cliff and dropped onto the street. It turned out there was a drop off high enough that we could not even see the log trucks passing by.

Re the pool, I don't know what year, but Pioneer has some pics here <http://www.pioneer-corps.org/brass2/pictures.html> of them rehearsing in a pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

How about 1:o'clock AM in the parking lot of a shopping center right after a horn rehearsal. The police were called to run us off. They sat and watched the shoe first.................Bill

Post subject: stangest place you practiced
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:02 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Drum line practice in a cemetary during a camp weekend in 1973!!!

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights Alumni
Lambertville Volunteers
St Lucy's Alumni/NJHOF Ensemble

Smile... it's contageous and it keeps people wondering what you're thinking!!!! :>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:13 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

1993 Southwind. We we're on our way to Bloomington, IN from Montgomery,AL. when the engine on our drum bus seized up. Just a big hunk of metal. Anyway, we loaded everyone onto the other buses and went to the next exit where there was a Stucky's. We spent 12 hours there, rehearsing across the street in an empty parking lot of a shut down gas station.

The freakiest part? As we were marching basics, doing 'sticks', we found a crushed can of Field Marking paint!! Someone had been rehearsing there before.

The funniest part? One of our Bari's tee'd off our Brass tech and he sent him across the street by saying "Go get me a Pecan Log and a soda!"

The coolest part? After relaying the story to my Dad he went and found a Stucky's patch for me to put on my corps jacket!!!

Post subject: Re: Strangest place you practiced?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

In 1977 I was a member of the Bayonne BRIDGEMAN on an extremely hot summer nite (July 13) we practiced in a Parking lot to trucking co. Over looking manhattan in an instant manhattan was gone completely . It was the blackout that lasted 2 days and even though it wasn't such a strange place seeing the most iconic skyline in the world disappear is something I will never forget Ed GO BRIDGEMAN HYPE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

This might not really be strange, but in 1979, we would practice near O'Hare Airport. The planes were coming in to land right over our head. One after another. Of course, it was difficult to hear at times what we were doing or the staff was saying.

The other place we would practice was a park in Park Ridge. By the time we would get to our final run-throughs, it was so dark, we couldn't see where we were going. Tough to clean drill in the dark.

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:06 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Just remembered another strange incident in summer of 77. I was a member of the greatest corp ever the BRIDGEMAN and we were practicing in a park just outside of Salem Mass. We were doing a full run through of our show when an old woman walked through our drill only making a couple of side steps.Making it from one side to the other without getting run over, not that we were a you can't break our ranks corp, we were to cool for that crap but no one needed to. After practice the late Great Bob Hoffman said there was no way he could get from one side to the other that easy and he wrote the f..... g thing. Salem Mass. That was strange

Profile E-mail