The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

Cornfield in richland Indianna-- Imperial Guard 1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:21 pm 
All Star
All Star

In my day, we used to rehearse in the parking lot of the Bergen County jail in Hackensack. You could hear the inmates yelling.

Mike, Garfield 70-72

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:52 pm 
All Star
All Star

well Mike, when did the name convert from the Holy Name cadets to the Garfiedl Cadets? Just curious. I actually think most of our rehearsals in Garfield during my year there ( only one) were not actually in Bergen County. I alwasy remember singing that song and wondering how long ago the Holy Name Cadets had existed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:19 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
well Mike, when did the name convert from the Holy Name cadets to the Garfiedl Cadets? Just curious. I actually think most of our rehearsals in Garfield during my year there ( only one) were not actually in Bergen County. I alwasy remember singing that song and wondering how long ago the Holy Name Cadets had existed.

After the 57 season the church decided to stop sponsoring/funding the corps, as I remember my history. I remember seeing pictures from the 58 era where the corps wore shorts, as they had no real unis.

What year did you march?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:06 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Japanese internment camp from WW2. Thousands of little shacks perfectly lined up beside this military base. We slept 4 to the shack. Sorta wierd. Wasn't bad though. Just strange. There were actually a few Joes that kept residence in a shack or two. Probably too cheap to resist. I saw several with home built "halls" between two shacks. Probably rented them for 50 bucks a piece or something like that. This was around 1980 or so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:40 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Glassmen pit would occasionally practice in an old cemetary. Strangely reports of a ghost at G-West started surfacing at about the same time period. Coincedence ?

I know the Knights use to practice marching in an empty grocery store in downtown Geneseo. Not a bad idea till you smack a pole. That had to hurt ! :frust:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

kormeg wrote:
I know the Knights use to practice marching in an empty grocery store in downtown Geneseo. Not a bad idea till you smack a pole. That had to hurt ! :frust:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clean up on aisle 6!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:54 pm 
All Star
All Star

After the 57 season the church decided to stop sponsoring/funding the corps, as I remember my history. I remember seeing pictures from the 58 era where the corps wore shorts, as they had no real unis.

What year did you march?

Mike[/quote]

I marched in 1985. It was my last year of eligibility and we didn't have good drum corps in Texas so I flew back and forth during the year and miraculously made the snare line. What year did you march?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:45 am 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
I marched in 1985. It was my last year of eligibility and we didn't have good drum corps in Texas so I flew back and forth during the year and miraculously made the snare line. What year did you march?

I marched in the Cadets from 70-72. After dithering back and forth the fall of 69 deciding whether to join Blessed Sac or Garfield, I joined Garfield late, so in 70 I played concert cymbals just to play something with them, 71 was tri-tom, and 72 played baritone.

I started marching in 64 at age 10 in a feeder/parade corps at the VFW my dad belonged to...marched a Garden State class 'B' (would have been div III today) in 68 and 69 before moving to class 'A' in 70.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Finals week in 95, SCV was at a school that had a pool. Now I can't remember if it was semi-finals day or finals day, but I remember Dave Carico took the hornline to the pool and well we all jumped in and had horn rehearsel in the pool. Nothing like an indoor pool session to do horn warm ups.

Winston
SCV 95-96

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

I can't top a swimming pool, but we did a couple of basics sessions in an ice hockey rink in Ohio.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:20 am 
All Star
All Star

Dave B wrote:
I can't top a swimming pool, but we did a couple of basics sessions in an ice hockey rink in Ohio.

With or without? :mrgreen:

Mike

Post subject: I'm not sure
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:25 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

the actual Place was NOT strange but we were housed at this school in Little Rock in '77. We practiced on this field behind it and it was just swarming with dragonflies. everytime you stopped five or six would land on you. It was just thick with them. Dave St. Angel kept saying, don't worry they don't sting but I was completely creeped out and was in full "skin crawling" mode.

The obligatory 3 inch long cockroaches infested the showers and gym too.

oh what a joy to be on the "open up the south" tour in '77 and '78. Fire ants in Texas, dragonflies in arkansas, and cockroaches EVERYWHERE!

Norwood Park Imperials '72, '73
Schaumburg Guardsmen '76, '77, '78
Capital Sound parent '99 - '03
Southwind parent '04 -?
Marching Illini parent (the best band in the land) '03 - ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:32 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

We actually had a show on a rodeo field in Wyoming...just dirt, filled with pot holes and trenches. Not the easiest place to roll your feet.

For practice, I marched for a DIV III corps awhile back and we practiced in the gymasium to avoid the storms and made the 5-yard makers 3-yards and closed up drill intervals from 4 to 2 1/2, just to work on drill...that was tough, and obviously not very productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:23 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

In 95 and 96 Magic everydays was held at Haines City High School. One of the most God-for-saken-places in the state. For the first half of the camp we couldn't use the practice field and had to rehearse in the parking lot which was right next to the cemetery. Apparently it wasn't a good summer for Haines City residents because we had to stop rehearsals at least 4 times a day to accommodate the hearses arriving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next