The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

We left Garfield for Wildwood around midnight one year...arrived about 4:30 AM...set up to practice on the beach next to one of the hotels housing the (now sleeping...and most drunk/hungover) VFW/AL members (I forget which show it was).

I think we'd been playing for 10 or 15 minutes tops when a cop car came racing up to the beach area with his PA system blaring "Stop the band music!".

We stopped for a while..but not too long!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:30 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The strangest place I remember practicing? It was 1972, at about 3 in the morning outside a bus station in Portland Oregon (at least I think that is what city we were in) complete with homeless people and hookers. Not sure why but on one of our tours our buses pulled into the bus station and our color guard captain had all of the guard out marking time. We must have had a bad show or something. It was a little scary but no one messed with us. It must have looked too weird.

Anaheim Kingsmen
Flag 72-73
Rifle 74

Post subject: Strangest place you ever practiced
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:49 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Dale wrote:
The strangest place I remember practicing? It was 1972, at about 3 in the morning outside a bus station in Portland Oregon (at least I think that is what city we were in) complete with homeless people and hookers. Not sure why but on one of our tours our buses pulled into the bus station and our color guard captain had all of the guard out marking time. We must have had a bad show or something. It was a little scary but no one messed with us. It must have looked too weird.

Gee, Dale,

Can't say that I remember pulling into a bus station on the Portland trip, since we used school busses on that trip in order to be able to fly to DCI. But if we did stop, I wouldn't have put it past Linda Rieke to pull us off the busses to practice, no matter what time it was.

Comp Guard Rifle 1970

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:46 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Lynn,

To tell the truth I don't remember for sure if it was Portland or even if it was 72 though it seems like a Linda Reike thing to do. But Carol remembers it also so I know it happened. My memory is a little fuzzy as far as dates and even years!

Anaheim Kingsmen
Flag 72-73
Rifle 74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:50 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Lynn,

It just sunk in what you said about flying. I don't think we flew anywhere in 72 or else my memory is more shot than I thought. Is it possible you were thinking of another year?

Anaheim Kingsmen
Flag 72-73
Rifle 74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:55 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I believe the year in question is 1970. VFW was in Miami and I think your corps flew there and drove up the coast to Legion in Portland. I remember the flying part clearly as we were trying work out a way to do the same to Miami.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:22 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Bath, Maine Buccaneers used to have winter practice in a huge Airplane Hanger at Brunswick Naval Air Station. They would even move the P-3 Orions outdoor to allow us to do our field drill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

Welcome Bathcadet/buc!

I've encountered the Bath Cadets and Bucs often in my drum corps research over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:18 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Strange places to practice:

1. 1970 Garfield - rehearsed the hornline about 20 yds from shore in the Atlantic just off Miami Beach.
2. 1983 Bridgemen - brass/percussion ensemble run thru just over the fence at the end of the Newark Airport runway. (We skipped the deep breathing exercises that evening.)
3. 1965 Sunrisers - drill rehearsals in a rock quarry-cum-landfill pit in Mineola, Long Island. The "field" came to a point, so Vinnie Ratford changed the drill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:07 am 
All Star
All Star

FD wrote:
Strange places to practice:

1. 1970 Garfield - rehearsed the hornline about 20 yds from shore in the Atlantic just off Miami Beach.

I wondered why we had a few blanks all of a sudden!

:D

Mike

Post subject: mental institutions?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:35 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Ok I counted 4 references to Drum Corps and Mental Institutions.
Is there a connection here?
Why are we looking for "institutional" practice facilities? :o

Mitch
BAA-GA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:44 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Florida Wave had it's corps hall located inside... yep... inside of the South Florida State Mental Hospital in Pembroke Pines, Florida.

We used to have sectionals just outside of the fenced in security wards and the hospital staff told us that the weekends was the only time when the wards were almost completely quiet... the patients used to sit by their windows for hours and listen to us.

The strangest practice I ever had? One day we were doing another endless series of runthroughs and we got to "Fool On The Hill"... as we're playing a woman came out of one of the out patient wards and began twirling around in her hospital gown... at the very end she stopped, hugged a tree, smiled at us and then ran away (top speed) laughing at the top of her lungs...

That kind of summed up my whole experience with drum corps. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Les Etoiles routinely practiced at a mental hospital in Montreal (Dorion), Quebec. "Residents" would occasionally run out of the hospital and into the rehearsals being chased by men in white coats.

We also rehearsed at the Florida State Fairgrounds and to beat the downpours did drill in the field house. It was huge and I had the bright idea to have the corps play inside too. A bit loud, but pretty fun ... except for the Bandettes that were sleeping. Oops ... sorry ladies!

Matt

Les Etoiles

Post subject: bunsen burners, anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:42 am 
All Star
All Star

In Norwood Park, we rehearsed in the parking lot of Sargent-Welch corporation. They make the equipment you'd use in chemistry class.

Strange science. Heh. 8-)

Post subject: In Cow Poop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:18 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

In 2002 All days for Troop, was held in some podunk little town in the middle of Wyoming (not Casper) for a week. Us pit kids had to haul our stuff in the middle of this pasture of weeds and cow poop. That's Wyoming for you though.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next