Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hash Marks and other field markings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Seeing all the discussion concerning repainting the hash marks at the request of the Cadets brought to mind some of the fields we marched on in the early eighties.
The most vivid that comes to mind was a show that took place on a baseball field...very small bleacher stands..the 50 was directed towards the same bleachers, so even the "prime" seats had the backstop to look thru!
The pitchers mound wasn't removed for the show, so wherever you were in the dill you had to be aware of the small mound as you were marching. In our drum solo, the corps did a follow the leader move that happened to cross the pitcher's mound...I remember seeing all the members ahead of me "grow and shrink" as they passed over the mound.
Anyone else have stories of strange field conditions?

Blues, Baby, Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:14 am 
All Star
All Star

I remember the first time we marched on a "crowned" field. It was strange to be in OTL position and not be able to see the front sideline!! (I must have been short back then :lol: )

Nothing like a pitcher's mound to contend with, though!! Talk about dangerous. Imagine marching backwards over something like that - you could have a real "train wreck" on your hands!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yeah, I remember performing on a Baseball field....the Dream contest in NJ.
Also in Reading we used to practice on a Baseball field.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I remember marching on a baseball field somewhere in Ohio in both '83 and '85. Could it have been the US Open? Or Key to the Sea? It was a show that had prelims at one stadium and finals at another...
We also performed on a horse track at a state fair somewhere in the midwest. It was not as wide as a football field, so our drill was somewhat "off". It was also dirt instead of grass :shock:

1983-1985 Spirit of Atlanta - #2 Bass
1999 CorpsVets - #2 Bass
-----------------------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:53 am 
All Star
All Star

In the late '60s and '70s, Wisconsin's State Fair sponsored a corps show at the Milwaukee Mile race track. In 1969, the show was on the infield. A football field was lined and surrounded by a snow fence. No seating whatsoever! I can't remember what the field conditions were like, but I can't imagine field conditions on a race track infield was smooth. I stood against the snow fence to watch the powerhouse Kilts, Blue Stars, Des Plaines Vanguard, plus my first ever viewing of the Anaheim Kingsmen, St. Rita's Brassmen and St. Francis Sancians.

Later, officials decided to have the show on the track, to take advantage of the grandstand seating. The field was full length but only half as wide, so all the corps had to change their drills. The '72 show was after DCI's championships. It was a good payday for corps on their way back home.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:03 pm 
All Star
All Star

Until you have perfromed the Wyoming Rodeo Grounds Tour, you ain't seen nuthin'!

Cody Wyo. In between bucking broncos and calf roping. Not exactly a smooth surface, and that doesn't include the trail apples. :shock:

They did allow us to quickly chalk a 50 yard line though... :roll:

Jim Jones was obviously no George Hopkins.
<and the heavenly voice choir sings 'AMEN'!> :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:00 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Jim Anello wrote:
In the late '60s and '70s, Wisconsin's State Fair sponsored a corps show at the Milwaukee Mile race track. In 1969, the show was on the infield. A football field was lined and surrounded by a snow fence. No seating whatsoever! I can't remember what the field conditions were like, but I can't imagine field conditions on a race track infield was smooth. I stood against the snow fence to watch the powerhouse Kilts, Blue Stars, Des Plaines Vanguard, plus my first ever viewing of the Anaheim Kingsmen, St. Rita's Brassmen and St. Francis Sancians.

Later, officials decided to have the show on the track, to take advantage of the grandstand seating. The field was full length but only half as wide, so all the corps had to change their drills. The '72 show was after DCI's championships. It was a good payday for corps on their way back home.

Jim, I remember well that '72 show after DCI. It was truly amazing to see how well the Troopers handled their famous "eggshell".