Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Orange Bowl Memories
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm 
All Star
All Star

This weekend, I was surprised to learn that last Saturday was the last football game in the Orange Bowl. In that spirit, do any of you have any drum corps Orange Bowl memories you'd care to share?

This is second hand, but it will get the ball rolling. My brother Bob performed in the Orange Bowl at '70 VFW Nats as a member of the Kilties. As defending champs, they followed the Troopers, who won prelims. He's remarked more than once about watching the people in the stands rise and go beserk as the Troopers' company front "hit" and continued forward to the end zone. As he described it, it sort of reminded me of an early wave. Apparently, his thoughts were along the lines of, "We have to follow THAT?!? S*#T!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:03 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I marched my ageout performance at Orange Bowl Stadium in 1983. I left it all on the field that night. Great memories except the part where we didn't win.

Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 am 
All Star
All Star

Jd wrote:
Great memories except the part where we didn't win.

That's how many fans felt when Boston didn't win in 70.

Post subject: Orange Bowl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I just found this site, and what wonderful memories of the famed "Orange Bowl"!!!

Needless to say it was in the middle of one of the worst areas of Miami.

In 1961, Chicago finshed their undefeated season in fine fashion.

The surprise corp that evening was "Cambridge". What a show the put on that night.

In 1970, there was no clear cut favorite. Knowing what "Schlecta" could do, it was anyone's game. The best part about having the Nationals in Miami was the "shore"!! Just imagine spending pre prelim days just relaxing by the pool or the ocean.

As usual the prelims were always at a local high school stadium. If I am not mistaken, the prelims in Detroit took place on a piece of land, in a middle of a rotary outside Detroit.

There was a problem during the "70" prelims when Chicago did not do well. All I can remember was Pescone who was chief judge, wanted to have Chicago go on again since there was feed back from leaving the PA system on as Chicago performed.

All I can remember is a rep from Boston in a "safari jungle hat", bathing suit screaming and hollering at the judges.

The other reps of the corps who were still at the field at this time backed him, and Chicago finished 11th in the prelims.

It was so strange to see Chicago perform so early as the sun was setting.

I have heard and read that Tony Scheltca told Jim Jones that it was their Nationals, and all they had to do was go out and do the job, and the would own the championship.

That night Troopers had many dead spots in their routine, and a lot of stalling tatics to kill time.

Boston did the show of their life. They should have one, and everyone else in the crowd agreed.

SAC was great. It was probably the last great job SAC did, since 1971 was a lean year for them. You could see that things were starting to change.

The West Coast Corps were making their way East, and needless to say Santa Clara's voice would be heard in Dallass in 1971. Sac did not go to the VFW that year, and Boston was in the twilight of being the "Beast of the East"!

I love talking about pre DCI, so if anyone has some good tales, I would love to hear from them.

Groucho

Post subject: Re: Orange Bowl
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

Groucho wrote:

Groucho

:hum: Phoenix maybe? You were referring to CODI as the screaming BAC fan in the judges tent in 1970.

Post subject: Orange Bowl Memories
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:17 am 
Rookie
Rookie

As I said before, I love to hear some of the tales of pre DCI. Every VFW Nationals, or American Legion Nationals had a story. It was worse than a soap opera.

Now that I have had time I have gone back in the historical part of the site and there are some great tales that will go down in history.

If you listen to the 1961 Fleetwood Recording with the announcement of the scores, "Tony" was "slurring" his words more than ever.

I noticed that there were a few individuals who had some great tales, but they have not posted in awhile. One of them is Dan Kelly, he was able to really get into the mix. Where is Dan today?

Groucho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:45 am 
All Star
All Star

CODI and Dan said good bye to sound machine a couple of years ago. As someone who knows those guys, they had become frustrated with what they felt was the slippery slide of Drum & Bugle Corps into something else. Hell, CODI said years ago that drum corps as it is/was in its purest form would be dead in 10 years. His prediction is off somewhat, but it just might take several more years before it completely evolves into another format.

I've always wanted someone to explain to me Groucho what took place in 67 when Boston was great, but lost to the Cavies in Fenway Park, supposedly had a fight during the parade with the Cavies, then came back and beat them by around 3 points a few nights later. Any insight?

Post subject: Orange Bowl
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I remember a few of us drove down from Bar Harbor for a drum corps week. With the AL Prelims and finals and then on Tuesday night the CYO Nationals, we could not pass it up.

The prelims were held in a high school football stadium somwhere just outside downtown Boston. Boston went on very early in the AM, and the weather was not the best - cloudy and drizzle.

I forget where Boston finished in the prelims, but I remember the draw for the finals was going on first. Talk about luck!!

Chicago won that night and it was the second loss of the year for BAC!
They had lost the Dream earlier in month. But we all have stories to tell about that show.

The finals were at Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox. Chicago won that night. Boston was out side and I believe that Chicago marched passed them and words were exchanged. Back then there was no love for any other corps than your corps.

A few people jumped in and cooler heads prevailed.

The next day was the Parade. We were up and out of our hotel bright and early since the parade started at 9 AM and wound through the streets of Boston. The Parade was led by the two new National Champions, Hurricanes, and Chicago.

Boston did not march until late in the afternoon, since the host state qalways marches last. We were all watching the parade up by the State House
when Boston came down the street, and Chicago was standing down the street at an intersection, and they all were wearing their green and black jackets, and holding signs stating "CHICAGO NATIONAL CHAMPS, boston
state champs.

Needless to say it did not sit well and once again words were exchanged, and if I remember correctly punches were thrown.

Two nights later was the CYO Nationals, and Boston was defending champs, and were to go on last. They had the draw, and would you believe that Chicago's draw was to go on 14th right in front of Boston.

I have been told by some alumni who I have got to know through the years, that the memebers that night decided to go out and just blast the stands down and just kick a-- and not hold anything back.

They certainly did they beat Chicago by 4 points. I believe Boston received 88.08 that night.

At the retreat that evening Boston's drum major was the last to come out and line up. That was when SACS two drum majors came out and stood on either side of the Boston drum major. There was solidarity in the east, and they would stand together. From that day forward BAC and SAC were great friends!!!!!
Two weeks later Boston beat Chicago in Canada at The North American Championship. Earlier in the year Boston beat Chicago in Toronto at The Shriners International Championship.

It was a bitter pill for Boston to lose in their home town.

The was no love lost in the coming years between these two corps.

I hope this may answer your question.

It was a great week of drum corps history.

I guess the old saying is true, "You can never go back"!!

Groucho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

Lots of tough drum corps in those days. Hope to get back East in the months ahead and have a few at the Erie Pub. Thanks for the info and welcome to sound machine.