Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'm sorry, reading my own post I realize I was not clear. By show I meant finals, I liked all of the corps in the top 12. Everyone of them. I'm sorry I was not as clear as I should have been. I'm down to 1 or 2 a year now, last year I liked 3 & thought the crown show was one of the beast I've ever seen. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion, next time I'll proof it a little better............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:00 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Blurae1 wrote:
I'm sorry, reading my own post I realize I was not clear. By show I meant finals, I liked all of the corps in the top 12. Everyone of them. I'm sorry I was not as clear as I should have been. I'm down to 1 or 2 a year now, last year I liked 3 & thought the crown show was one of the beast I've ever seen. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion, next time I'll proof it a little better............Bill

I agree Bill....Crown's show last year was a beast. :lol:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Some days I just get nowhere fast...............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:53 am 
All Star
All Star

Dave B wrote:
Simplest, easiest thing would be to LOWER the number of members per competing corps, say back to 128, or even further, to 116 - however many can be accomodated by three buses, instead of four or five.

One of the reasons given for the increased size was because with the modern busses many corps lease they CAN fit 150 members on three busses.

Quote:
Fewer students means less equipment, perhaps enough less that it can all fit on a single tractor-trailor (the way we used to do it), instead of two. All of this lowers fuel costs per corps. Lots. Also, fewer members mean fewer eyes/ears needed for instructional staff, less equipment to buy/maintain, and fewer mouths to feed & water over the course of the summer.

If corps spread out the extra 15 over all three sections, I don't really see a lot of added equipment to mandate another truck.

Nor do I see added staff to handle a few more members in a given section.

Food might be a bit less with 128 and not 150, but purchasing in bulk as they do it's not a very large savings. Someone in (I think) DCP who works with a touring corps food program did some analysis that showed the cost per meal is very low.

Quote:
In addition, the fewer members that can march in a given corps, the more are forced to go somewhere besides an already-Finalist corps to march their first year, age-out year, etc. This spreads the talent around, making parity go farther amongst the corps.

IMO that is a BAD thing, because what do we see today? Kids on the whole choose to NOT march rather than march a corps other than the one they want. It's not just generic drum corps the members want...it's to be a Cadet or Blue Devil or Crusader or....

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 am 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
IMO the last show I enjoyed was in 1989, the year Clara did Phantom.

I bet THAT made the Phantom happy!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 am 
All Star
All Star

Jd wrote:
I have read that a lot of potential marching members try out for their favorite corps and if they get cut, they don't march at all that season. I never understood that reasoning. Many, if not most, of us either here or on DCP marched in small corps. I appreciate my time in Class A corps as much as I appreciate my time with the Phantom Regiment. These guys don't know what they're missing out on.

I can understand why they might choose to not march with a "lesser" (note the quotes!!!) corps...it IS very expensive in time and $$ to march...not to mention the lost opportunity to earn $$$ over the summer. A potential member who wants to be a Crossmen is not, in many cases, looking to march "drum corps"....he or she is looking to march "Crossmen".

Most members of the touring World corps do not come up from a smaller corps any more....they come from bands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 am 
All Star
All Star

Mike wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

:shock:

:rotf:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
Mike wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

Do we have a "mind in the gutter" emoticon around here? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

Eh, just use this one:

:cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Jazzman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Mike wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

You would be surprised of the emoticons I have seen.....let's say very x-rated. It makes this girl :oops:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:20 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is maybe WHY they want more kids on the field (besides a bigger sound). 15 extra kids means apx. $30,000 extra in tour fees. As Mike said, 3 buses can hold 150 kids and we have had 3 buses forever. No one gets their OWN seat anymore though :cry:. But, maybe it will help with the fuel bill. Food is going to be more expensive too I'm afraid, but with the kids eating mostly high carbs (Pasta, bread, spuds etc.) hopefully it won't be too bad.

Man, this is going to be a rough year to tour I'm afraid...

Oh, BTW, I KNOW that Gail would have gotten a kick out of Blurae1s er, comment about '89 "Clara" does Phantom show and Mikes response....(snicker, snicker) :lol: ... No, Really...

If DCI won't do it, then WE have to do it...
Support Open Class Corps!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:17 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
Jazzman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Mike wrote:
Blurae1 wrote:

You would be surprised of the emoticons I have seen.....let's say very x-rated. It makes this girl :oops:

I know what you mean. This one site of them I use all of a sudden has a few XXX-rated ones.

Made me go :shock: when they showed up after a couple of years of relatively tame ones.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:50 am 
All Star
All Star

Jd wrote:
I'm okay with the drill design changes and they were needed. However, there was talk back then of changing the activity in a way so corps members' feelings would not be hurt if if their corps scored low. IMO, that was and is a ridiculous mindset.

I also wish there were more corps competing out there. It would be nice to have the Top 25 as the elite group of corps out of 40-60 corps (or more) instead of hoping 25 corps compete at DCI. As easy as it is to blame DCI, it is prohibitively expensive to field a junior corps in competition.

We talk about the good old days and the number of corps who competed back then, but here's a question. What can corps and/or DCI do to make competing and touring more affordable so more corps can compete? Maybe DCI can provide a greater concentration on regional competition. Also, and DCI can do this now, market the smaller corps and their competitions, including the DCI Championships. I have said that the large corps get the glory, but the small corps are the lifeblood of the activity, and IMO, growing the smaller corps and the number of them, are a key solution to this problem.

Just another $0.02 worth. 8-)

There is a thread over on DCP about the Reading Spring Preview:
Alumni and all age event reviews)

Read through it until you get to the explanation of St Rita's Brassmen?

The persons thoughtful answer is exactly what you have been writing about, it's exactly about the reasons for DrumCorps

BTW - instructors for them are unpaid!

Post subject: Change
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:58 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

How about? - Electric, digital drums = Yuck :td: :td: :td:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
All Star
All Star

Mike wrote:
One of the reasons given for the increased size was because with the modern busses many corps lease they CAN fit 150 members on three busses.

Okay, that being the case, drop the corps total to 100-110, or whatever one less bus can fit safely. The point was "one or two less busses," not a specific number of kids.

Quote:
If corps spread out the extra 15 over all three sections, I don't really see a lot of added equipment to mandate another truck.

First, 150 - 128/116 = 22/34. Second, why are the Top 12 all carrying around a minimum of two tractor-trailors, plus a motor home, plus 4-5 busses, plus any number of other support vehicles if they don't need them, Mike? If they don't NEED them, then they should drop what they don't need, or else not whine about fuel costs. If they DO need them, they're probably hauling around too dad-gum much stuff.

Quote:
Nor do I see added staff to handle a few more members in a given section.

Okay, for example, do you think a percussion caption head, a snare tech, a tenor tech, a bass tech, two pit techs, and a cymbal tech might be a TAD excessive for a <40 person section? Just asking. I'm NOT saying everyone does it this way, but again, this is the way of most of the Top12.

Quote:
Food might be a bit less with 128 and not 150, but purchasing in bulk as they do it's not a very large savings. Someone in (I think) DCP who works with a touring corps food program did some analysis that showed the cost per meal is very low.
I'll agree that here, if your kitchen crew is worth anything, the savings is going to be smallest.

Quote:
IMO [fewer spots in the premier corps] is a BAD thing, because what do we see today? Kids on the whole choose to NOT march rather than march a corps other than the one they want. It's not just generic drum corps the members want...it's to be a Cadet or Blue Devil or Crusader or....

There's only one way to start a new powerhouse corps: start up a "nobody" and make people want to march there. One way you do that is by making it harder to hold out for a spot in a "premier" corps, and make potential members say "Okay, can I REALLY count on being one of two rook-outs to make this 43-time champion two years from now, or should I maybe get my experience in now with this local group now while I can?"

One of the reasons that the small corps aren't "feeders" to the larger ones anymore is because they don't exist, and DCI needs to address this failing in any way it can. If they do not, then eventually they will be left with 7-10 200-member marching units, three of which are actually any good. It might take another decade or two, but it's inevitable if the current system doesn't shift.

Profile E-mail