Inaugural Drum Corps Trivia

Reminisce about your memories of those glorious days gone by

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Inaugural Drum Corps Trivia

Post by Jim Anello » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:18 am

One of the fanfares played by the herald trumpets this morning was the opening statement for a 1970s DCI finalist. Name that corps.
Jim Anello

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm

You can watch it here;

http://www.hbo.com/weareone/

Well, Muchachos played it in 1972 and placed 10th.
Holy Name Cadets played it in 1975 and placed 11th.

Other corps who played it in the '70s, but did not make finals;

'74 Colts
'77 Kiwanis Kavaliers
'78 Offensive Lions
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 am

This wasn't what I had in mind when I posted. On inauguration day, I heard a herald trumpet fanfare that was used by the 1973 and 1977 Racine Kilties in their opener. I think it was when the vice presidents were being announced.
Jim Anello

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Jim Anello wrote:This wasn't what I had in mind when I posted. On inauguration day, I heard a herald trumpet fanfare that was used by the 1973 and 1977 Racine Kilties in their opener. I think it was when the vice presidents were being announced.
According to corpsrep.com, Kilties played this in 1977;

McDuffy's March * Heaven on Their Minds (from Jesus Christ Superstar) * Pagliacci * Music

Nothing mentioned about Fanfare for the Common Man.

And in 1973 they played these selections;

McDuffy's March * God Save the Queen Amazon * Roundabout * Eli's Comin' * McCoy's Exit * Auld Lang Syne

Again, no mentioning of FFTCM.
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am

Malibu wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:This wasn't what I had in mind when I posted. On inauguration day, I heard a herald trumpet fanfare that was used by the 1973 and 1977 Racine Kilties in their opener. I think it was when the vice presidents were being announced.
According to corpsrep.com, Kilties played this in 1977;

McDuffy's March * Heaven on Their Minds (from Jesus Christ Superstar) * Pagliacci * Music

Nothing mentioned about Fanfare for the Common Man.

And in 1973 they played these selections;

McDuffy's March * God Save the Queen Amazon * Roundabout * Eli's Comin' * McCoy's Exit * Auld Lang Syne

Again, no mentioning of FFTCM.
Not sure where you're getting FFTCM from. I made no mention of it in my note. There were plenty of other brass fanfares while dignitaries were being announced, and one of them was the opening fanfare the Kilts used in McDuffy's March in 1973 and 1977. The fanfare, roughly ten measures long, was originally Scottish, and was used in the Edinburg Tattoo.
Jim Anello

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

From reading the link I provided, it staes the herald trumpets played "Fanfare for the Common Man."

You did say, "One of the fanfares played by the herald trumpets this morning was the opening statement..."
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni