Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Troopers '79
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Haven't been here for a Looooooong time. Crossmen were the sacrificial lamb for that year. Troop had some good politics going for
them because of a former Staff person (whom I have utter disdain for) and his influence was quite high. If Troop didn't make finals the return would have been harder so as we know how Drum Corps can be, the result was not a surprise. The shame of it was from the
Tumbling Tumble Weeds arranger.......I know, I was in the presence
in Massachusetts when the composer said he was going to arrange it for Troop for I think 68.......I won't dwell on the other things that were so repulsive. Not coming back, but some truth has to come out.

Goodbye,
-Bill

Post subject: Re: Troopers '79
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:51 am 
All Star
All Star

Buh bye...

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe that Crossmen did not have something to do with their score that year. They were scoring about 5 or so points higher for the week before finals and it would seem silly to think that no one would notice such a drop! Troopers were aiming for Cavaliers, closing a 20 point gap at the beginning of the year to just a few tenths at the end. As the Troopers were having the best show that they could possibly have had (considering their talent level, score, and overall show quality), Crossmen picked that day to have a mediocre show.

I know that I will probably be shut down for making these comments, but, I was there! I heard the remarks from literally hundreds of fans and other corp members that we had an historic show. I did not hear even one comment from the crowd that they were shocked about the scores. Throughout the years I have seen scores of stories from the crowd about how special that Trooper show was that day and I stand firm on my statement that Troopers, although definately only that day, defeated Crossmen and should have passed Cavies, too.

To be truthful, I was very shocked that both Troopers and Cavaliers beat Crossmen that year. It would have been like Boston being aced out of finals this year. But as they say in sports, "That is why they play the game!".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:19 am 
All Star
All Star

mckdan wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe that Crossmen did not have something to do with their score that year. They were scoring about 5 or so points higher for the week before finals and it would seem silly to think that no one would notice such a drop! Troopers were aiming for Cavaliers, closing a 20 point gap at the beginning of the year to just a few tenths at the end. As the Troopers were having the best show that they could possibly have had (considering their talent level, score, and overall show quality), Crossmen picked that day to have a mediocre show.

I know that I will probably be shut down for making these comments, but, I was there! I heard the remarks from literally hundreds of fans and other corp members that we had an historic show. I did not hear even one comment from the crowd that they were shocked about the scores. Throughout the years I have seen scores of stories from the crowd about how special that Trooper show was that day and I stand firm on my statement that Troopers, although definately only that day, defeated Crossmen and should have passed Cavies, too.

To be truthful, I was very shocked that both Troopers and Cavaliers beat Crossmen that year. It would have been like Boston being aced out of finals this year. But as they say in sports, "That is why they play the game!".

These observations really undermine the conspiracy angle. And I have heard them from numerous sources, many of which were not affiliated with any of the corps in question.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The problem with conspiracy theories is that it is always so easy to poke holes in them. (It was Jim Jones firing from the grassy knoll!!!!) Sometimes things just happen and Troopers in 79 was just one of them! I am sure that some people thought that Phantom's win last year was not real, but, I cannot believe this was "planned" or was nothing other than one drum corps beating another. I hope that these upsets happen because it creates excitement among the fans and reduces complacency among the corps. Fear is a great motivator!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

:roll:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail