Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1974-1975-1975-1976 DCI Highlights DVD from Drum Corps World
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

Just received my copy of the 74-75-76 DCI Highlights DVD today. I only had the chance to watch '74 Stockton and '75 Muchachos, but I like what I'm seeing and hearing! Kudos to Scott Gordon for another job well done.

As a reminder, here's the corps on it:

'74 Stockton Commodores at DATR (partial from concert to the end)
'75 Muchachos at Hershey, PA the day after DCI Finals
'75 Troopers at Hershey, PA
'75 Troopers at an unidentified show
'76 SCV at DATR
'76 27th Lancers at DATR
'76 Troopers at DATR

This can be purchased through Drum Corps World. I'm also waiting for a set of the 1968 VFW Championships that wasn't recorded by Fleetwood. I'm hoping the quality is better than those Fleetwood recordings!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 1974-1975-1975-1976 DCI Highlights DVD from Drum Corps World
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I read a post dated back in 2002 to 2004, or so, something about the 1974 Kingsmen growl at the end of Berlioz, just before the drum solo. Some have said that it was done to hide the sound of draining the spit from the horns. Some say it was to enhance the end of Berlioz. None of these are correct. I marched in 1974 and 1976 as a Contra. Here is how the growl came to be.

Mike McCool played Mellophone that year. He is with Santa Clara now, and in the 1980, the Velvet Knights. The drum solo was the Exorcist. We played a cord clash to enhance the start of the drum solo. Mike came up with the idea to make the growl to enhance the drum solo. At first we all laughed, then as we did it a few times we realize that it was cool and it worked. (Really pushing the envelope back in those days).

I was so blessed to have marched with so many great people during the 1974 tour. Legends! To see where so many of them ended up is wonderful. We worked hard that year and made the Kingsmen a historical name in Drum Corps history. Not by the desire to be number one, but by our motto: To strive for excellence in whatever we do. Comments about our color guard going into the stands with military bearing; not letting anyone break ranks when we marched to and from an event; all this made me a better person and has help me through my life experiences. I thank all those that talk about the Kingsmen and keeping alive the spirit of Drum Corps. Those days were really the highlight of Drum Corps history.

Profile E-mail