The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is your memory of your first performance?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Back in the day of the "real" bugles (two valves only, or a valve/rotor combo!!)... And starter's pistols... and tick sheets...
Back when two-seven closed with "Danny Boy" and it brought tears to your eyes... Back in what was, for me, the "golden age" of DCI...
The early summer before my Junior year of High School, after nine months of weekends at the school an hour away that we used for practice, and marching a thousand miles across the field by the airport that was our practice field with kids from three states...
We loaded up the old school buses, with an 8-track player wired into the speakers on the "boy's bus" endlessly playing "Highway to Hell"...
Drove 10 minutes to a house in the country, lined up in the side yard, and performed our entire show as a birthday present for a man who's name I have long since forgotten. (Our fundraising efforts, including Bingo twice a week at the VFW, had included that year a raffle to "win a private drum corp show.")
We piled back onto the buses and drove for 2 hours to perform in a parade in Bellevue, Ohio... we only played two songs, and to the people lining the streets we were just another band... and then, that evening,after 90 minutes on the road, AC/DC blaring through the tinny speakers, our warmup scales behind us, spit valves emptied three times over (just to be sure!) we took the field for what was my first show...
Heart pounding, legs more than a little wobbly, we took the field to a slow, barely-audible, single-snare cadence and faced away from the stands in our opening position. I can still hear the voice over the PA in Berea OH... "Now taking the field, from Ottawa OH... General Putnam's Men!"
A polite amount of applause from the un-seen crowd for the *almost* eighty kids who formed our corps, the first to go on that evening...
The gloved hands of our drum major counting out a rapid meter... clap-clap-clap-clap "Corps atten-HUT!"... I spent that entire season facing away from the crowd while Chip gave his salute to signal our readiness, and I never did see just what it looked like...
"You may enter the field of competition."

Agonizing minutes passed while Chip mounted the podium and Nick slowly marched to the back of the field to mirror Chip's 4-count...
Wishing I had tightened up the strap that held on my hat just a little more...
clap-clap-clap-clap "one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and"
Horns snapped up,
four steps in place as we turned 180 degrees to face the stands...
and to this day, Dvorak's Carnival Overture has never sounded sweeter than it did that early summer afternoon.

1979 was a long time ago... but that memory will always be clear as crystal.

Anyone else?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What is your memory of your first performance?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

1979 was my first year marching with Crossmen. It was a long summer traveling across the country to California and one that I will never forget. My first experience in front of a crowd was very exciting. I remember marching onto the field, doing a dress center then called back to front. The PA announced from "Delaware County, PA.....THE CROSSMEN!" That really gave me goose bumps to hear the crowd cheer us on. We would take bets from then on as to where the announcer would say we were from.....West Chester, PA, Philadelphia, PA or Delaware County, PA. :lol:
During that summer Spirit was on tour with us. Somewhere in the mid-west, their equipment truck rolled over, we just happen to drive up to it not too long after it happened. Their corps members were at a rest stop waiting for their truck not knowing what had just happened. Our corps director Robbie Robinson ordered every kid off the buses and to pick up every thing. We picked that wreck clean! Not a nut or bolt in sight! I gave up my seat for a snare drum. I wrapped it with one of my towels to make sure no scratches got on it. You should have seen Spirit as we rolled into the rest stop with their equipment......classic!
They returned the favor when we started loosing our buses. When we returned to PA, we had only 2 of the four, the other one was a chartered bus.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

1979 Cavaliers

I don't remember the specifics. However, I remember that we were defeating both Blue Stars and Guardsmen in the early part of the season. The veterans of the corps were very excited about the show, since they didn't make finals in 1978. I do remember how much we enjoyed playing the opener ( Santa Esmeralda Suite). Great opener!

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Parade: 1969 Columbus Day parade, Revere Mass. - first month as a 27th Lancer.

Contest (local): Bridgeport, CT. We won with a show still being cobbled together.

Contest (in the Bigtime): Shriners International, Toronto (yes, Toronto Canada) - still working on the show, but we brought the crowd to its feet FOUR times, and lost to the Kilties.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

My memory was with 77 Troopers. We started from the back, left corner of the field and the entire formation followed the direction of the American flag squad. They were supposed to march a straight line to the front sideline at the 50 and they marched toward the 40 to 45 yard line. The entire formation was off by 7-8 yards at the end of the openner. I do not know how we managed to get to the correct yardline by the end of the show. I also remember hearing several members of Cavies bemoaning their lousy show, but, they still beat us by about 15 points. It was a thrill when in 79 we missed them by just .1 at prelims.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I have no clue. I was only 10 years old when I joined. Most likely it was either a parade or a standstill somewhere.

I do recall one parade though. Most of the time I was in the American Flag section, carrying my rifle as a guard. The night before the parade, my older sis convinced me to stay up all night with her and not go to sleep. We thought it was sooo cool back then, LOL. Now I go a day or two without going to bed and desperately wish I could see my bed more often, LOL. Anyway, I get to the parade, and for some reason they needed another rifle on the "working line." I had to learn the rifle work right then and there. Looking back that wasn't all that big a deal, since we had two prescribed repetative sets of work we used with every song. I remember being all freaked out that my first "big" debut with the rifle line was when I'd not been to bed the night before. LOL.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail