Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best year for DCI
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

What year do you think was the overall best for entertainment in DCI history?

I personally believe 1980 was a great year! Many fun shows! Bridgemen were still competing, as was 27th, North Star, Guardsmen, and a few others that are no longer with us.

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best year for DCI
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 am 
All Star
All Star

It would certainly be closer to that time than today. There were simply more corps then, and they had more divergent styles. Add to corps you listed the Velvet Knights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Jim,

I have nothing against todays' shows, but IMHO the shows of the 70s/80s were much more crowd pleasing. Todays' shows rely heavily on visual. The music of yesterday was much more appealing to the mass.

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

I agree with you on the current emphasis on the visual. I'm not so sure about the more entertaining to the masses. I don't know how you measure that. We've been discussing "engagement" for years on this board, and it always comes down to how do you measure level of engagement. Take the early '70s SVC, for example. Rarely did they get audiences up on their feet and screaming, a la Madison or Anaheim. Yet, I can assure you that they had crowd appeal. Folks would sit in the stands in rapt silence during Young Peoples' Guide to Drum Corps, simply amazed at what they were doing on the field with great skill and apparent ease. Years ago on this board, we discussed engagement and how to measure it at length. Resume Hut - gosh, I wish he was still around - went so far as to observe and take note on crowd reactions to performance.

Does engagement mean people are on their feet screaming? Or does it mean being drawn in a silent reverie? I would say the answer is both. But, how do you measure that?

I just think that more corps equaled greater variety in style. Plus, the arrangers and the sheets then seemed to encourage more fully-developed melodies vs tunes put through a blender.

Some corps today are coming back to that today with great success. Last year's Phantom Regiment did so quite well last year playing Puccini, for gosh sakes. The Cadets have been doing it well for a couple of years now. Madison has become good at that again after some down years. Same with Crossmen.

We just need more corps, so there can be more possibilities.

Profile E-mail