Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Madison still Madison?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:09 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

That's a question I've asked myself repeatedly since Scott Stewart stepped down last year. After attending finals week, I finally have my answer.

I showed up to the Scout's rehearsal on Friday and walked over to the horn arc. They were practicing the part in the show with all the sixteenth-note runs. I was immediately impressed - what a cool effect. The more segments they played, the more I started to hear an in-your-face style I feared would no longer exist. They also had some great lead sopranos - as one would expect any good Madison hornline to have. Yet, as I looked around at the staff, it depressed me to recognize so few faces. It reminded me how betrayed I felt when certain staff members left - many to other corps (namely BD). On a break I spoke to some current members about a few of the changes that had taken place. Some were very disturbing. Under new management there has been a big reduction in free days, allotted rehearsal time for I&E, and sleep. Madison was always a corps that could rehearse for 6 hours, yet be so intense and so efficient that it was as if we had rehearsed for 10 hours.

I tried to keep an open mind as I walked over to the field for coordination. Once they started, I immediately noticed the first two changes I was truly excited about: the color guard and the movement in the drill. The guard was spinning like no Madison guard had spun since 1999. The rifle toss with an emphatic yell on the catch gave me goose bumps. And the hornline was really moving! Plus, they were clean to boot. Their field entrance was spectacular. The average age may have dropped four years, but as they moved across the field in a company front, it was hard to imagine them looking any more intense/intimidating/powerful.
Without the traditional Madison entrance, it was nice to see so many fleurs-de-lis in the show (3 large ones and 2 smaller ones). They eventually did their run-through and I liked it a lot. I was getting very excited for that night's performance when I heard a current Madison employee speak about placements. Quite honestly, it made me sick to my stomach. That type of discussion would have never taken place with Scott around. In general, the staff and the members NEVER cared about the scoring. All that mattered was that we did our absolute best and that we entertained night in and night out. That was it.
That incident put a sour taste in my mouth so I started to have other doubts creep into my mind. Was there too much ballad time? Was the ending exciting enough? Was Madison still Madison?

I got to the stadium for semi's and my seats were in a great location - fairly low in the second level, and on the 40. When it was finally time for Madison to perform I got chills as I saw them take the field. This was it. The Superman suits were on; it was go time. They looked and sounded amazing. They were clean AND entertaining. I got goose bumps multiple times - the type of goose bumps I can only get when watching Madison perform. When they released their final note I was so proud. So proud to have been a Madison Scout. So proud of the current Madison Scouts.

The following day was the Scouts' final rehearsal. Typically this is a rehearsal filled with pranks, and I wondered if that would still be the case. When three contrabasses came up to play the sop trio in the opener, my question was quickly answered.
That night I was going up the elevator in my hotel when someone looked over at me and saw I was wearing a Madison Scouts' shirt. He said, "They had a great show tonight," nodding at my shirt.
"Yeah, they did, didn't they?" I responded.
He came back, "Ya know, they really should have placed a lot higher."
It was unbelievable how many times I heard that comment when I marched. Not being concerned with the whole judging element of drum corps, I never knew how to respond to a statement like that, and that was still the case. I just looked at him and smiled.

Yes, Madison is still Madison.

- Ted Martin
Scouts '97, '99

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ted,

Thanks for that awesome review/recap!

Btw, Scouts 97? Loudest crowd response that I've EVER been a part of. That show kicked some major ass. I'm good friends with Justin (the main pirate badass).

So anyhow, I'm glad you think that Scouts are still as they always were. If the main group of fellas stick around til they age out... look out DCI! 8-)

Post subject: Scouts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:00 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Well your Screename is nothing to brag about either........I don't think it
fits here........Try RAMD !!

-Bill

Post subject: Re: Scouts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

bacplus wrote:
Well your Screename is nothing to brag about either........I don't think it
fits here........Try RAMD !!

-Bill

Yeah, all that guy's posts have been deleted, I've alerted the moderating team, and I've asked Dave to delete his account.

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 am 
All Star
All Star

Did I miss something or are you referring to the OP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:12 am 
All Star
All Star

You're missing something, and be glad that you did! Stupid trolls.... :hmrd: But our fearless superhero mods have saved the day!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 am 
All Star
All Star

xsabers wrote:
Did I miss something or are you referring to the OP?

There was a new user with a rude name who evidently holds a grudge against one of our established posters. This new user posted the same slanderous, inappropriate message in about twelve different threads yesterday.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:03 am 
All Star
All Star

Hmmm....now you have my curiousity up! Oh well...I'm sure its not worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 am 
All Star
All Star

I must have missed it as well.

Profile E-mail