Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:34 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

:?: When did the Booing start for Madison Scouts? I know people did in '95, but I don't remember if they did it prior to that year.

I agree that to "Boo" a corps or the judges on the field is very immature.
I will admit, I was part of the Booing going on in the 2000 DCI finals. We loved the fact that Cavies and Cadets both had awesome shows, but most felt that there should have been something to distinguish one from the other to the point that there would have been only one champion.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Dan is really a mildly annoyed Scout Alumni
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:30 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:53 am Post subject: Dan is an angry scout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, you quoted an entire paragraph in red that was clearly a general statement about sportsmanship and how it affects others when someone is boo-ed, and then you go on to twist it into TX saying "winning is the best revenge"

...where in the hell did you get that from?! Wow, man. Talk about reading one thing and comprehending another.

I can see how that was thought to be the implication. Actually I was responding to Bodine's take on this quote from Cop;

Poor SCV, they too had to feel the deep wound caused by the Drum Corp spectator's booing since they beat scouts too....

I bet the Cavie kids from the 2001 championship show are still suffering from the booing they heard after the Scout score was given last year for 11th place........

I know, lets stamp out booing the poor judges all together, we can also stop screaming out loud when we like a show or drill move....

I hope my comments taken is this context make more sense to you. Cop obviously was mocking Bodine's idea that SCV or for that matter anyone who beat Scouts at DCI (10 corps!) suffered irreparable damage to their self esteem because of booing fans. Thus my comment in support regarding winning being the best revenge.

You know why PBS doesn't air DCI finals like they used to? Because Bill Cook and Star of Indiana aren't around helping out with the bills.

DCI has been televised since the mid 70s long before Bill Cook or Star came on the scene.

I find it amazing that you can't admit that heckling Judges and boo-ing the scores is unsportsmanlike and disrespectful to other corps. You rant as if this were all about Madison and it's not. It's about people treating hard working Drum Corps members, their staff, and the Judges with respect.

First of all, the idea that people should clam up and stifle their true feelings for some trumped up OBE idea of self esteem is just silly. Corps is a spectator sport. Spectators cheer, clap, stand and sometimes boo. Anyone marching today who can't deal with it is going to have an awfully hard time later in life. I think youve decided to vent some proxy outrage for kids who probably are not bothered by the booing due in part to the fact youre not a Scouts fan. And in truth this is all about Madison because no other corps elicit these reactions with any sort of regularity. When Mike Bodine enters the fray, you can be sure for him its all about Madison. For proof you can google search Mr Bodine and the countless times he has opined against the booing always in the context of a Madison discussion.

And I think you've missed the thrust of main point of my views on the booing anyway. I'm not all that wild about shows where booing is happening. But I ask you to consider the fact that it has been happening with sickening regularity for some time. And I don't think its the same churlish brutes doing the booing at every show. If anything, its a symptom of some widespread dissatisfaction with DCI judging preferences.

I also thinks its wrong of you to dismiss the military roots of drum corps. For all its so called evolution its still more like parade ground drilling than the Ballanchine Dance Company.

Anyway, fire away ranger.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dan is really a mildly annoyed Scout Alumni
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:30 pm 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
I hope my comments taken is this context make more sense to you. Cop obviously was mocking Bodine's idea that SCV or for that matter anyone who beat Scouts at DCI (10 corps!) suffered irreparable damage to their self esteem because of booing fans. Thus my comment in support regarding winning being the best revenge.

I am still wondering how in the world this conclusion was even drawn from my post. It was not my idea or implication that every corps that beats Madison suffers from the booing, and nothing I stated even remotely says this. It seems obvious to most people that the fans booing after Madison's scores are not booing every single corps that beats them, but usually the one corps in front of them.

Also, what are you even annoyed about?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:14 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Music, and Drum Corps with it, is an ever changing artform. What was once cutting edge is now Muzak in an elevator. What was once rebellion with a melody is now background shopping music. Stravinsky started a few riots in Europe only 80 years ago because his music was a huge separation from other music, and today his music is performed in high schools all across the USA.

Drum Corps is an activity for all ages, and each age will remember how things used to be and will either embrace or discourage change. Right now the trend is swinging back towards Corps performing more accessable or recognizable music after a good decade or so of some really innovative shows and wild music.

Some people love the new demands in drill and the modern music, others wish things were just as they were 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. Sadly enough, some people can't appreciate the variety that's on the field right now. Even worse, is people outright discredit what Drums Corps can accomplish these days and make it seem as if DCI was at the top of some sort of conspiracy.

So I ask Dan, and other people like him, to embrace DCI as it is today with an open mind because it's always going to change. I'm sure there were plenty of angry people when Corps stopped doing semetric drill, or when colorguard became a display of dance skill as well as weapon work, or when mallet percussion was moved into the "pit." Stay home and watch DVDs of the 70's if you still don't like it.

http://homepage.mac.com/headbox

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: clarification for mike B
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

DrumJessela titled his post "Dan is one angry Scout" I titled mine I am a mildly annoyed Scout Alumni

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: clarification for mike B
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:51 pm 
All Star
All Star

Dans24103 wrote:
DrumJessela titled his post "Dan is one angry Scout" I titled mine I am a mildly annoyed Scout Alumni

Right, and I am wondering what you are annoyed about.

Profile E-mail