Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whitewater, WI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm assuming that WI is on Central time :?: ...and I have plenty of time to go watch fireworks before coming home and velcroing myself to the monitor?

Southwind, Capital Regiment, Capital Sound...a different sort of fireworks for the Fourth!

Post subject: Where are those darn scores :-)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I am dying to find out how CR did, also. It would be great to see them win a show. Hopefully they will be here soon.

Elliot

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Capital Regiment 64.6

Southwind 64.4

Pioneer in third

Capital Sound in fourth

Sorry, I didn't get all the rest, or the numbers. First time SON ever got to participate in the victory concert thingy...mama's just soooo proud of her :)(: 15 year old !

Post subject: woohoo!! Go Capital!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:36 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I am expecting a very excited phone call here very soon then. Great Job!! Keep it up!!

Elliot

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Can someone post the rest of the scores ASAP?

Ethetzer...... if you get that call tonight, could you ask about the rest of the scores and post them?

Please?

Jim Ott made sure he could hear it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: as Homer would say woohoo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:40 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

According to soundmachine:

64.60 Capital Regiment
64.15 Southwind
59.30 Pioneer
58.95 Capital Sound
56.70 Blue Stars
34.90 Racine Scouts

The CR kids (and staff) must be on cloud nine. I, too, am expecting an call from a happy CR guard member...

:D Just-A-Mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:33 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks justa!

Jim Ott made sure he could hear it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Random Notes from Whitewater
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:17 am 
All Star
All Star

Racine Scouts (34.90) - Still...one of the neater uniforms in the activity. Love the American Flag squad with the Boy Scout uniforms - does that take me back!! I really appreciate that the staff keeps this eight person horn line in tight for cohesiveness' sake. This may be the only corps I know of that
confines their field coverage to between the 40 yard lines. It takes courage to do drum corps; it takes even more courage when there's so few of you out there. Very tasty mellophone duet. Also, I appreciated that the percussion was taught to not bury the horn line. Played a very nice medley of big band standards.

Blue Stars (56.70) - Opening statement in Jewish Trilogy very solid! I noticed some trouble in holding the form during the quiet section of the opener, particularly in the circle at the right hand side of the fifty. Also, the form at the end is made up of a number of files. Folks need to cover those down, as
they are very judgeable (this seemed to be a recurring problem with a number of corps). Pretty nice field coverage from a small corps in the 2nd number. Nice solo work in I Dreamed a Dream. Opening statement in Candide - glad you took a fire hose to it and gave the melody line to the pit. The sopranos were having a real tough time playing it earlier in the season. I don't mean this to seem like a bromide, but this corps' made a lot of progress since I saw them at Sun Prairie.

Capital Sound (58.95) - Very Nice show. Pink Floyd on a football field - what a concept! My general thought was for this corps to keep working on the fundamentals - hitting the forms and working for rhythmic clarity to make those impact points even more solid. As I watched them I couldn't help but
wonder - this guard came within .5 of the Madison Scouts earlier this season...

Capital Regiment (64.60) - Very impressive full field coverage for the opening statement. Some very nice soprano - mellophone call/response work in the opener. Please cover down those files at the end of the opener. Nice mellophone work during the ballad. I noted that I really liked the way the
picture hit at the end of the ballad section. The low brass sextet going into the closer was gorgeous. Company front in the closer didn't quite hit. Still, I appreciated how nicely designed it was, and I loved how it came forward slowly and majestically. Generally, I liked the flag work throughout. It seemed that they really knew what to do with their solo moments. Note to whoever was complaining about excessive buildup in the opening announcement for the corps - they got it! The spiel sheets both before and after their performance were mercifully short.

Southwind (64.15) - Tocotta and Fugue for the opener. Got a real nice sense of rhythmic clarity from the horn line; very much needed to keep this from sounding like mush. Brought back fond memories of the late '70s Phantom Regiment. Speaking of Memory Lane, I also liked hearing Marche Slav('77
Crossmen). I don't think I'm explaining this correctly, but the snare drummers changed to different drums for this number. The mount was off to the side, like the old days of marching snares with slings. Very different kind of sound - a refreshing change. Perhaps someone who has seen this corps
more often can explain what they were doing and why. I just know I liked the sound. At a couple of points in the show, there were noticeable points of silent drill. I'm used to those points being setups for something visually neat - especially unison flag work. Instead, I got nothing. Is some content to be added down the road?

Pioneer (59.40) - Boy, have these kids improved musically since Madison's April Open House! Many people have commented on the pit placement. For what it's worth, I liked their placement upstage. With the horn line this small, the entire percussion section needs to play down. This just seemed to
be an accommodation for the horns. I heard the pit just fine. Although I'm not a big lover of props on the field, I was OK with the "picnic tables." They add height to the visual compositions, shrink the field a bit for the horn line, and provided some interesting moments, such as when the horn players
bounded over them to play a lick. Generally, I was impressed with the work the staff and the kids have accomplished to make the most out of a smaller corps. Here's hoping they can hang on to these kids as a nucleus for coming seasons.

Royal Airs Reunion Corps (Score: Who Cares???) - They're huge. They turned around in the left end zone and played Abide with Me as their warm-up for the juniors lined up for finale. The kids waiting for finale loved it. Loved the person who called out, "Rip my face off," before they stepped off. If I remember correctly, they go from the twenty to the fifty in a horn line (must be 90 of 'em) company front. Watermelon Man is their concert number. They're marching for Alexander's Ragtime Band, John Brown's Body, and It Was A Very Good Year. The crowd loved 'em. Those of you going to Rockford, Racine, DCI semifinals, or DCA are in for a treat.

Went over to shoot the breeze with RA after the show and was treated to Abide With Me and Ballyhoo March from about 50 feet away. Amazing! Nice folks, too. For those of you who remember the '73 Blue Stars, Cisco is marching RA. He was one of the soloists when LaCrosse played Malaga
that summer.

Next stop: this Sunday in Racine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Judging Panel for Whitewater
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:23 am 
All Star
All Star

P. S. In case you were wondering, DCM staffed this show with a full, eight person judging panel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Review
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:46 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Jim...thanks so much for taking the time to write the review!!

Post subject: Re: Random Notes from Whitewater
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Jim Anello wrote:
Royal Airs Reunion Corps (Score: Who Cares???) - They're huge. They turned around in the left end zone and played Abide with Me as their warm-up for the juniors lined up for finale. The kids waiting for finale loved it.

Jim, we are actually playing a medely of older Royal Air tunes during warmup in honor of Rich Tarsitano, who instructed the horns and arranged the music before Col. Truman Crawford was hired.

Norwood Park/Skokie Imperials 1972-1975
Franklin Park Colonels 1966-1971