Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4th of july parade review
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:29 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Just some thoughts on some corps from the parade in dundalk. I spent the last 4 years in the south and it was nice to be back in civilization(Baltimore). I know DCI purists may say parades don't count, but this is one time that the general public gets to see corps and it forms manys impressions of what a drum corp is.

Reading Buccaneers. They looked prety good for maching over four miles in 100+ degrees. They had 6 snares and 4 tom- toms and and sounded tight. they had 46 horns. They played only patriotic songs and the crowd loved them I think if this is what they have in a parade in July they may have the horn power to contend with the boys from upstate NY come DCA. I grew up in a family wherer reading Buccaneers was a curse word but I wish them good luck at DCA. They looked very young for a DCA corp which means they may have a long time together with this cast. Later in the day at Catonsville in shorts anf T shirts you could see how young they were, (or how old I am getting)

Westshoremen. They had more horns than I remember them having at DCA last year. I think about 20. Their Drum line appeared to be ad-hoc perhaps they are palnning on doing DCA again this year with no field percussion. they were not terribly impressive, bearing little resemblence to the corp of 6 years ago, but at least they are still together and bigger than last year.

Hanover Lancers They were the largest corp in the parade I think they had about 50 horns. Good to see a lot of guys out there doing it purely for fun.
they recieved a lot of applause from the crowd and they know how to make the best of a parade. In a parade loud is good. They looked like they were having fun in spitte of the heat.

Yankee Rebels. They were the hands down crowd favorite, because they were from 5 miles away. They were old school, a beat from the 60's , and the plyers looked old. I remember as a kid my little corp got stuck in a parade with them when they had 80 horns, I think thy had 30 some horns. But when they played when Johnny comes marching Home the crowds went nuts.

Lehigh Valley Knights. They had a very good sound (for a parade ) but they were not very loud and they had awfully hot uniforms They were near the end of the parade so the crowd was tired when they came by. (this will cheer up the anti-parade crowd) they were behind a float with a rock band that had a lot of Amps and their sound mixed with the corps to create a not to great sound. It was good to see a DCI (even DIV II) corp marching in a parade in front of normal people.

Other non corps
Ravens band largest unit in parade, always popular had more brass than any of the corps.

KKT -Booed entire length of parade, crowd yelled "go back to boston"

Philly string bands- about as anti-corps as a musical marching unit ges but lots of fun.

I am looking forward to Hershey tomarrow night and seeing how DCA stacks up this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:29 pm 
All Star
All Star

What or who is the KKT?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:12 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Michael,

something about you looks different?

Bill D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: New Look?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:24 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I agree :lol:

Yes, could I have a suit that is flame retardent? Or this showing your TRUE colors?

Don't cry because it's over.
SMILE because it's happened!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:35 pm 
All Star
All Star

Just tryin to show some drum corps love for all those who are unable to actually discuss things here in the forum.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: KKT ? From Booing?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

KKT ? Booed ? Huh? That sure was a confusing section of the review ?

Post subject: Kkt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:41 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

KKT is a very unpopular politician, as loud as the crowd cheered for the ravens, they hissed and booed at her. Her party had lost in that district for several elections so they cut the area into 4 parts 3 of which they aligned with neighborhoods that were diametrically opposed to those of the residents of dundalk, trying to negate any political power that an old established blue collar neighborhood could have in state politics. She is a part of a political dynasty that has its roots in Boston. I hope this isn't too far off subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the clarification. I think I am not the only one that was thinking KKT was a performing group.

Profile E-mail