The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have Seattle in my veins and I have something to say...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:22 am 
Veteran
Veteran

:lol:

Hello Everybody

I have been sitting back and reading some of your posts about the 'Scades the last few days before I decided to write this.

I write this as a former member of the Seattle Cascade organization.

I want to address some of the thoughts and some of the verbal aggression towards the Scades. By this post, I am not saying that any of you are not entitled to your own opinions. I just want to clear the air and say a few things...

Thank you to all the people who have acknowledged the hard effort that the Cascade organization has put into the "City Riffs" show. From day one, I can tell you that they wanted to put on an incredible production by incredible creative means that is new to the drum corps circle or just so refined. I speak with the members by phone regularly by cell phone and they are extremely grateful for this year successes so far (by placing above scouts, gaining closer on SCV, etc). They are as surprised as many of you are to see the results shape up as they have been.

It is an incredible organization that has aspirations to make its mark into drum corps and keep striving for excellence.

To some of you that seem to take the Cascades in vain as a curse word, I have some things to say...

It is funny how many of you say that the Cascades do not deserve this much so quickly, but at the same time last year get extremely angry at the Mandarins beating the Cascades "unfairly" in Div. 2 Finals of 2001.

Last year, it was very nice to know that we had support in the judges supposed "unfairness" in those results. I'm split to say that "yeah, we did deserve that 1st place because our show was so rich in its repertoire and it was so much harder and better performed better than the Mandarins" OR "The Mandarins are an organization that has been working hard for that Div 2 trophy for a little bit(even when they were Div 3) and had the same 'unfairness' to them in 2000 by SCV Cadets."

The Cascades are working harder than many of the Div 1 corps right now and they deserve these honors.

Thanks for reading and I'm sure this might stir a little something up, but I want to see what some of you have to say.

:?:

Boise, ID

"What does drum corps feel like?:
'Run 10 miles at a full sprint and then STOP.'"
-Anonymous

Post subject: Must have missed something...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:09 am 
All Star
All Star

Did I miss something? I don't remember reading any anti-Cascades post. The only thing I remember is that some people regarded the exitement generated by the Cascades besting the Scouts as being anti-Scout (although I don't think it was). In fact, I've read more support for the Cascades' recent success than anything.

Most fans realize that the activty as a whole benefits when there are more high-quality corps vying for the 12 Finalist positions. It looks like this year, once again, there will be some quality corps not competing on Saturday night (as it should be).

GO CASCADES!
(I get to see them next Wednesday!)
8)

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: anti-cascades?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree with the above post, I don't think there have been too many people that are posting bad things about the Cascades, in fact I'd dare say that everyone has their eyes on them!! I can relate to to the negativity comment as BK has drawn that many times in their past as well. I think everyone has a right to their opinion about a corps and what they play and where the should place. Let's face it, the disscussion board would be pretty boring if there wasn't some poeple who disagreed with what is posted. I aplaude the Scades, and can't wait to see what happens when BK hooks up with them next week in California!!! :D As far as placings go, I feel your pain. In both 99 and 2000, BK was in 5th place entering the finals week, and as you know, they weren't on TV either year. I am still super proud of the amazing accomplishments the made during those years, and I can still have my view about where I thought they should have placed. 8)

Wes Perkins
'97, '98

Ted: "Surely you can't be serious?" DR.: "I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Cascades
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:10 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Kendall,

I love the Scouts. I am ready willing and able to love the Cascades, and Pacific Crest also. The reviews I have read makes me very anxious to see both. It is very good to see new blood. My only regret is that I do not as yet have an MP3 of either of these coprs or SCV yet.

I realize judges aren't perfect, they are only human. I do not take results as a factual accounting of where a corps should finish. (Yes, Wesleyrp BK would have finished in 5th in 2000 if I was judging) I think the real tribute to the Cascades is this:

It must be even harder for a judge to give a relative unknown a higher score than the big boys, so you have to earn it and then some!

Good luck-
Bill D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: anti-cascades?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:03 pm 
All Star
All Star

wesleyrp wrote:
I aplaude the Scades, and can't wait to see what happens when BK hooks up with them next week in California!!!

Yep, I get to see BK on Wednesday, too!
8)

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:34 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I, for one, think that it is WELL within the realm of possibility for Cascades to make the top 12 this year. Just think how the kids in corps would feel...what a rush!! And this is their first year in Div I, is that right? I really can't wait to see these guys. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:53 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I think the initial poster is talking about the statements where people state the Scouts are so bad, losing to a first year division I corps. The Cascades are for real. Their show is wonderful and it's going to shock the h### out of a lot more people when they head east. I can tell you that. This is a top 5 show in every conceivable way. Top 5 music book, Top 5 visual show, Top 5 across the board. Whether or not they will pull that off remains to be seen.

As far as judging goes - everyone has their own views. If I were judging in 2000, BK would have finished 8th! So, everyone has their views.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:00 am 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
As far as judging goes - everyone has their own views. If I were judging in 2000, BK would have finished 8th! So, everyone has their views.

LOL, okay. . .I gotta hear why you would have put them down that far.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:00 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Well I wasn't being serious. I just get so sick and tired of anyone bashing Boston's 5th place finish. Yes it was an easier show, but it was cleaner and executed at a higher level than anyone below them. If BK should have finished 5th then they would have finished 5th.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:40 am 
All Star
All Star

Gellio wrote:
Well I wasn't being serious. I just get so sick and tired of anyone bashing Boston's 5th place finish. Yes it was an easier show, but it was cleaner and executed at a higher level than anyone below them. If BK should have finished 5th then they would have finished 5th.

I am not gonna bash them. . .but if I were judging they would not have been 5th. I highly disagree that they had 5th place execution. The main reason they got 5th was because of great GE scores. They had a good fan friendly show and got rewarded for that. . .but it was definitely not based on execution.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, Gellio, I know that I have agreed with your posts on most occasions, and really enjoy what you say. However, I think you missed the point of my post. I was not bad mouthing the Crusaders as I liked their show as well. If I were judging the year of 2000, then SCV should have been 7 and both BK and Boston should've been in the top 6. My post was stating that in both 99 and 00 BK was in 5 coming into finals week, and that I would have loved to see them on TV. In both years they did not, but I am proud of their placement. As with many people and as stated above I would've seen things differently in numerous years, but I never singled out Boston as a bashing ground as you stated! I hope this clears up what i was trying to say! :wink:

Wes Perkins
BK '97 '98

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: ancient history
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:25 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

We don't really need to revisit why Boston beat the Blue Knights in 2000 do we ? The judges spoke { as did the fans } and Boston was better. Period. End of story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:51 pm 
All Star
All Star

Don't you just LOVE when the new guy does well? Adds a little spice to the concoction! Go Cascades! Boston was better in 2000. Lovely show, but I could have done without the singing. I could barely hear it.

Profile E-mail