Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Escondido Reviews??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I know it is still early on the West Coast this morning, but I 'm begging for a review of last nights performance in Escondido. I believe that x-sabers and others from this board went and I'm interested to see what it was like? I also as others have noticed too, beg paople not to stop writing reviews. I think that since maybe some of the reviewers have already been to some of the shows, they may not want to post another? But if you have not posted a review this year take the time to do it for us blood thirsty fans who cannot see a show for a while. I'll be writing an in depth review of SA in a couple of weeks!!!

Wes Perkins
BK'97 '98

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:36 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

That would be great Wes! I know it's going to be an interesting show....I wished I could be there! Like you say, it's nice when people write a review...it gives those of us who are catching shows later a chance to feel like we aren't missing too much.

Can't wait for your review....I predict that Cadets will take Cavies there.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:14 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Why are Blue Knights not going to Santa Ana,,,,? I can't wait to see the Corps there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:08 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
That would be great Wes! I know it's going to be an interesting show....I wished I could be there! Like you say, it's nice when people write a review...it gives those of us who are catching shows later a chance to feel like we aren't missing too much.

Can't wait for your review....I predict that Cadets will take Cavies there.

I'll write a review for both Dallas and Houston :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Geez...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I waited up almost all night for scores, nothing! All day today I am looking everywhere for a review, yes, I even ventured over to RAMD, (same crap, but no reviews). Didn't anyone go to this show? I am waiting for a call from Craig (my son), whenever he will bless me with that I will be sure to ask him if they had an audience. :? Weather there looks to be hotter than blazes, (coming from Colorado that is hot). What's up?

Tricia-A-BD/BK Mom

Post subject: This began as a "brief" review
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

Div. II/III

Oregon Crusaders - 51.85, 4th Place: Somewhat young and small (14 horns). Their show was entitled "Stormworks" by Stephen Melillo. The obligatory thunder sound effects, umbrellas as guard props, etc. A nice effort with some ensemble problems when in motion. Drums can sometimes overbalance the brass, even though the battery is rather small. White cadet style jackets and black pants.

San Diego Alliance - 58.65, Bronze: Only 8 horns tonight, but they added a top bass and another tenor. Attention to detail must be this corps' motto. If they only had 24 brass players that could play and march with this kind of intensity...They are playing music from the motion picture "The Usual Suspects". The drum line plays well, although the new additions have added a new dynamic as they work to catch up with the others. Horn line marches well and produces a full sound. Very deceiving in regards to their size. Individual marching technique seems very good. This is a surprisingly entertaining and well-balanced show for the numbers on the field.

Impulse! - 65.70, Silver: I Love Lucy was a crowd pleaser tonight. They have improved since I saw them last. Both brass and percussion seem to be playing with more confidence. Still love the Mylar snare drum heads that are featured. Their opener still seems to be like they are walking through mud. The tempos seem so lethargic. The crab-step in Pagliacci by the entire corps is interesting.

Esperanza - 78.10, Gold: Can't wait to see what these guys do in Madison. There is a maturity of sound coming from this group that separates them from the rest of the field. Color Guard is monstrous! Div. 1 quality IMO. Drum line continues to make strides and is playing some notes. Definitely the class of their division tonight. 20 points over Alliance and 12 points over Impulse has to tell you something about this group. We'll see how they stack up against SCVC and BDB this week. They could pass both of these corps and Mandarins cannot be far away if they continue this pace of improvement. They could use more power from the low brass, likely due to the small horns their contras are using (size DOES matter I suppose!) Lots of great body work in the brass. Drill is well written and generates excitement. Uniforms are a tremendous improvement in the overall look of this group.

Div I

Cascades - 75.40, Silver: OK They are for real. Beautiful brass sound. Very good drum line. Nice execution of the Bernstein book. Uniforms could use more color, as they are mostly black & white, with a touch of green. Some individual marching problems, but the black pants and shoes hide it well. I would be very surprised to see them miss the Saturday show this year, although BK might make it interesting.

Pacific Crest - 71.30, Fourth: Almost the same color scheme as Cascades with a ton more white (pants and shoes). Marching problems much more visible, although I don't think any more prevalent than Cascades. I love the Cirque du Soleil music. The CG unis fit the theme and the use of the cubes is effective at times. I love the exchange to the members who were squatting inside the cubes, then suddenly standing up to make the catch. Some H2O on the drum line as some parts were eliminated as they crab step across the front sideline in front of the horns. Last time I saw them, this was dirty and very exposed. It also was overbalancing the horns due to their placement. Now they have a short tacit which opens the way for the brass lick to be heard. Good call.

Blue Knights - 72.35, Bronze: I love certain elements of this show. The pit placement for the opening number is very creative as the keys are actually on the field. The horns end up intertwining through the pit and it makes them seem more a part of the show. With the help of some guard members (and after the pit players perform some dance work with the guard), the instruments are seamlessly rearranged a couple of times as the show progresses. The Shostakovich and Barber music is done fairly well. Solid brass and drums. Actually a pleasant surprise at their level of performance after their mid-season break. I thought they were fairly strong and should the right there for a spot on Saturday night. CG unis are a bit much, especially on the males. This show will grow on me once I've seen it a couple of more times.

SCV - 83.20, Silver: The new uniforms are nice. You can really tell they are green from the stands. High drums tonight. While not as flashy as BD, they definitely have a high quality sound and are playing clean. Their snares are consistently the best sounding in DCI. This show is coming along as evidenced by their rapidly closing the gap on BD. Visually, this show is a treat as they move well. The best overall visual package of the night. Forms were clean although the music was not particularly memorable. I will get a better read after I've seen them again.

BD - 84.00, Gold: After watching BD rehearse over the previous two nights, I was much more familiar with their program. They had gone through a major rewrite of the opening two numbers. These segments will undoubtedly improve with repetition, not that they were poorly done last night. This show is extremely fun. Ragtime might strike some as cheesy (a direct quote from another review) and I can see their point, but at the same time it is very well done and the new drill should help a lot of visual problems.

Some magic must happen when these guys put on the uniform. I had watched a run through the night before. The show was performed well and you could tell it was a good show. But at the contest, they took it up a couple of notches. I love many of the nuances of this show. They have a percussion rack on the front sidelines that is well used. The rack consists of about 4 stations with snare, toms, cymbals, and hi-hat. The pit makes use of them at first. Later on, the tenors unhook and play stand up drum set. At another time, the snares and tenors do a sort of round robin where the various players rotate to the rack to play a few beats, then step away to continue their normal battery parts. If you watch the kits, they are never without someone playing. The transitions from person to person are seamless. If you saw BLAST, it is not unlike the Earth Beat segment with the guys trading off on the timbale rack. Another equally impressive moment comes when the bass drummers move over and play hi-hat and rides patterns with their right hands, while still playing their split parts with their left. Very subtle, but well done. These moments are scattered throughout the show so it is not overdone.

Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" comes next and contains some very challenging licks. It goes into Rob McConnell's "Fascinating Rhythm". According to Corpsrep, the Sentinels of DCUK also did these two pieces in 1983. The sops and snares play a unison lick with lots of notes. It is readable, but will need to be cleaned to get the credit. I can see them eventually changing it to a fewer number of players in order to make it clean. We'll see.

"House of the Rising Sun" was night and day better than it had been. A total goose bump moment with some incredible solo work. The "Hair Dance" by several members of the guard is very sensual. Their hair is beautiful and they make great use of it. Very unique indeed. The show has been building to this point and then transitions to Channel One Suite. While I wish they would do a more expanded version, this one didn't disappoint. This BD show has really grown on me and I hope they can take it to the next level by August. If you let yourself, you may just enjoy the heck out of this show, no matter where it places.

SCV has closed the gap on BD to 0.80 for the last couple of shows. I think they will end up beating BD sooner or later. Whether they can remain there at the end of the season is questionable. I think the biggest surprise of the night was the dominance on the Div. II/III sheets by Esperanza. They should break 80 soon. There are going to be a lot of people in Madison reciting the old Butch & Sundance line, "Who ARE those guys?". 8)

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Last edited by WE ARE SPARTACI on Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you, thank you, and thank you! :D That was a great reveiw. I can't wait to see a show. My first show will have to be DATR almost 3 weeks away. Oh, if airline tickets hadn't gone through the roof I'd be in San Antonio for sure! I can't wait to see the hair thing you mentioned. I do think BD is still tweaking and changing parts of their show, I know they are sure practicing a lot.

Today the Blue Knights got to go to Disneyland, I'm sure that was a treat for them. I think and hope there will be a lot of surprises and "goosebump" moments this year. I'm glad you mentioned goosebumps because that is my gauge of what makes me feel good too. I think this is going to prove to be a very competitive year, not that they all aren't, but I just feel like some real surprises are in store.

Well, guess I'll go put on Phantom Regiment's "Defiant Heart-1996" blast it loud, close my eyes and wish for a show!

Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Post subject: Re: This began as a "brief" review
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:31 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I'm not normally in the habit of responding to reviews, but....

xsabers wrote:
San Diego Alliance – 58.65, Bronze: Only 8 horns tonight, but they added a top bass and another tenor.

Well, 8 is it for the season. The drill was written for 12, but we closed the holes after the hornline told us "No new people." The bass and tenor have only been with us for two weeks, but they're holding their own.

xsabers wrote:
Attention to detail must be this corps' motto.

Actually, it's "What now?" Watching their performance, I forget all the difficulty we've gone through even securing rehearsal sites this season (if you see a corps rehearsing in a public park with duct tape for lines, it's probably us). You're right, if we had 24 horns like these guys, it'd be great, but at this point I wonder if there even are 16 more horns like these guys. I couldn't be prouder of this corps.

Thanks for the kind words.

11!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I would also like to commend Alliance. I was blown away by the amount of sound that group can produce despite the numbers. At first my impression was that the group might be overbalanced with too much percussion but it worked out pretty well.

Member of the Lambda Alpha Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:14 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for the great review!! BY the way there is two or three really great 'tag lines' yours and I think Cavies 95 with the 'Pulp Fiction' -'Star Wars' merge.

Maybe sometime this year I'll write a review, mayber sometime this year i'll see a show. I did last night add SCV (finally) and Renegades to my mp3 collection, I'm still missing Cacades.,I have everyone else from the top 14. It really seems that the corps wanted to take advantage of the new audience appeal catagory.

Bill D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What the hey???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:23 am 
All Star
All Star

Ok, so I wrote my review in Word, then pasted it onto this board. Now I see all these funky "&#8221" things all over the place! The board must have transposed my letters into some kind of code. Yes, I was tired when I wrote this, BUT NOT THAT TIRED!

Dave, do you know why this would happen? Very weird!

:?:

I will try to edit them out as it really bugs me.... 8)

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:49 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I thought all of the reviews written from Escondido were excellent. I appreciate the comments on all of the corps. BK's GE numbers were down but, from you guys I learned that it is probably due to being dirty. Anywho thanks a million. This next week is going to be fun to watch!!!!!!

Wes Perkins
BK'97 '98

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:58 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:

I'll write a review for both Dallas and Houston :D

Great Michael! I won't get to see Cavies this year but I'll see Cadets in W. Chester and at the Philly show.
I look forward to your review!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail