Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Partial DeKalb Review
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:12 am 
Veteran
Veteran

At first, I had only planned on watching parking lot activities, but decided to go into the show right about intermission. that means I didn't see many corps, and my gen adm ticket left me pretty high up, off to the 35 yd side 2. The only corps I had a chance to see was PR, Glassmen, Bluecoats, Madison, and Cavies. Actually, not a bad line up for post-intermission!!! So, here's a few brief thoughts about what I did see.....of course, my opinions only!

PR: Overall........a "nice" show. this show really doesn't stand out to me for some reason. Maybe my expectations were higher, but I was left "flat" at the end. What I will say, however, is they have a full, rich sounding low brass sound. definitely a difference when you compare hornline numbers......I think I counted 70 brass. Noticeable difference when followed by Glassmen's 50-something horns? Percussion...........I don't feel they add to the show. they are without a doubt a level below Glassmen and cavies drumlines. Nice colorguard work. Over the next few weeks, watch percussion and GE effect scores to see how far this corps will go.

Glassmen: Ok, I last saw this corps in Toledo. Back then, I said this show "lacked" something. Here I am, about a month later.....HOLY *&% ! This show really has grown in maturity, and as a program. This drumline is unbelieveable. Plenty of notes, great technique, musicality....you name it. hornline is immensily improved, but....was not at the level of PR. (maybe due to hornline #'s?). However, if they've improved this much in 1 month.....there's room to grow! Glassmen tied with PR, but this show seems to have more room to grow, and move up. Glassmen really move with drill.....more than PR, IMHO. NOTE: just noticed that gmen got .2 pen. Hmm....wonder what for? Nothing obvious in the show that I saw?

One last thing to say about Gmen: After watching this show, I really have to say I'm TIRED of hearing about Glassmen being "BORING"!!!! I believe they have one of the more "memorable" melodies, they do "Javelin" great.....I feel it is a very accessible show. Please, people....give glassmen a chance! Sometimes I really wonder about the power of suggestion.....people who "hear" Glassmen have a boring show, then when they go, they already have a pre-conceived idea about the show. No joke: I heard at least 3 people hum the theme from Glassmen's show on the way out the stadium!

Madison: Um.......here's another show I really hoped would have changed for the better since Toledo, but sadly, not the case. Hornline has two volume levels......soft, then really loud. yes, they get the award for "loudest hornline", but that's about it. drill was still considerably dirty, and there are few difficult moves of any kind. colorguard seemed to have problems also (they scored below cap. reg....and before you say "but cap reg is div II, and is scored differently", that's not the case in prelims in DCM...it's all the same panel, same sheets).

Bluecoats: remember how everyone used to LOVE a madison show, and feel that they were not only entertained, but also DESERVED the score? Ladies and gents, here's the "new" madison........BLUUUU! I don't mean to imply that they are "like" madison.....and I'm not saying Bluecoats don't have a history of their own. I'm simply saying this corps is quickly becoming a DCM favorite. Fun show, accessible, and the kids really seem to enjoy it! Won't get into specifics here........very nice show. I like it!

Cavies: I know everyone's been thinking that cavies have a show that will win. win DCM? Absolutely. Win DCI? They might want to look over their shoulder for some of the other corps (cadets, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I like this show. But, it just doesn't seem to have room to move! Glassmen and PR have closed the gap to 5 pts, where it used to be 8+. Drumline was not very clean tonight.....had some problems in very exposed areas of the show (tenors and snares). Overall......great show. But I can see where people are conerned they will peak early. A little breakdancing and singing in the middle of the show isn't going to lock the championship!

Ok, these were just a few thoughts this morning. It's going to be sunny, high of 82, and low humidity......show time calls for clear skies, temps around 68-70. What does that mean? time to hit the pool, then get ready for the show tonight! got to love dekalb..............

MST

Post subject: Good review
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:06 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

MST, Thanks for the update. Are you going to finals tonight?
I tend to feel like the 'Coats are scoring just a little below what they deserve. I tend to think they should be in that 82-83 range at this point. You saw the show last night, why did the 'Coats finish 6th in percussion? They have one of the best tenor and bass lines in the activity and the pit and rest of the battery are very solid. What gives? Also, Glassmen finished 4th in percussion. I know they are WAY better than that. Fill us in!

Post subject: prelims
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Acutally, Glassmen came in 2nd in percussion........... .2 away from cavies (although I thought GMEN perc should of won, Cavies bagged their snare and quad solo, which disappointed my cavie alumi friend :roll: ). I thought BlueCoats drumline deserved 4th behind Phantom. I'm not sure how madison and colts both beat bluecoats?! Maybe tonight will tell a different story.

As for Bluecoats score, I feel they should be about a 82, which would only be 1.2 higher then their actual score. Although I know Cavies are awesome, I don't see 5 points between them, Glassmen and Phantom. I think 3.5-4 points would be about right.

Anywho, I'm off to the pool and then off to finals tonight.

Tenorsrule

Post subject: dcm
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:38 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Tenors, I tend to agree. Although I haven't seen the 'Coats in over a week now, I have to think their score is much better than the 80.8 that the got last night. I seems to me that CG and Perc scores weren't at the level they were performing.

We'll see tonight.