Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Allentown Reviews?!?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

None?!? Say it ain't so! How were the competing units? How were the Bucs? How were THE BRIDGEMEN?

C'mon, Malibu. You had to be there with LancerFi. Give us the goods!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:29 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

You know I just sat here for two hours and posted a nice review and when I went to Submit.....it asked me to log on and I lost it! UGGGGH!!! :evil:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
You know I just sat here for two hours and posted a nice review and when I went to Submit.....it asked me to log on and I lost it! UGGGGH!!! :evil:

This is a total bummer. Sorry dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:53 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Malibu wrote:

word to the wise: Type your reviews into word FIRST, saving along the way! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:55 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

OK....I think I know what happened. I have spell check through Google. I went through the long review editing grammar mistakes and forgot to click "stop" before I clicked Submit.
Sometimes I can be very blonde!

In short as far as performances,

Cavaliers....liked the robotic theme throughout. Especially towards the end where the guard portrays a conveyor belt and moves a horn member down while he is playing. I wished I were in my original seat on the 50 up top to see drill, but thanks to DCI I was sitting very low and could not appreciate drill.

Blue Devils...I like this show much better than the previous two years. However I feel the guard award was a given. They were not on Saturday night too many drops and breaks in the rifle line. I do feel if this corps can add a little more horn visuals they will take the trophy home.

Phantom Regiment....I love their show, not as much as I loved last year but the hornline is to die for! They truly have a rich sound and a kick butt drumline to boot! The only thing that really bothered me was the Demon Posse rifle line. They were displaying good use of characterization but they also tossed the rifle for the sake of visual and forgot about technique when it comes to catching it. Right now I would say it is the guard that is holding this corps back.

Cadets....two words best describe this corps.....sensory overload! It's not as bad as what folks were saying. It's just there is too much going on at the same time. It's really hard to see where the focus is when the field is one level. Yes, they have platforms to help, but it's not enough with all the folks on the field doing different things. It was like watching a 3 ring circus but only worse. If you can focus on one thing, you will find that what they are doing is phenomenal. However I don't see this corps cracking the top 3 this year.

Bluecoats....this corps was paying attention when Crown was pushing the envelope with hornline visuals. They were trying to take it to the next level. However, they need to sub-divide if they want to use more choreography in their show. Very nice hornline sound! Not sure if they can catch Cadets again....time will tell.

SCV.....I like this show more than last years! The new uniforms work! The lone hornline member is a bit distracting. I understand the reason behind it and kudos for SCV's staff for letting him march, but I could kick my friend who pointed him out to me!
Right now I would say the guard needs to clean up. This corps could be in the top 5 if they keep pushing aggressively like they did Saturday night.

Carolina Crown...I LOVE their guard! This guard IMO should have won Saturday night! I saw no other guards in the two nights I was there come close to the performance level that this guard has! They were on fire!

The hornline has a very mature sound. You can tell that they are being trained under Van Doran. The corps marches very aggressively. My comment to my friend was "they remind me of Garfield in the early '80s." They are very innovative when it comes to hornline visuals!

Boston Crusaders...WOW, this show reminds me of their 2000 RED show with the guard in red. The move able arch things are very creative and useful for hiding guard equipment. I like the way they were utilized throughout the production especially the end when they turn them around revealing another color and push them together. Good year for Crusaders!

Madison Scouts....I like the uniform change in the hornline! Not crazy about the guard uni but it works! The only thing I could see why their guard scores aren't up to par is I feel they use the skins in the beginning too long. So many impact points are missed because they are wrapped up with their tiger skins. I think they need to keep the guy writing drill. I like the way he uses the entire field. Very energetic show....Very Madison!

Blue Knights....I honestly can't remember too much about their show except that I didn't like the flag designs. I had to start watching other sections of the corps.

Glassmen....the only thing I thought was distracting was their guard unis....but that's just me. Hornline nice sound!

Spirit.....Nice sound from the hornline! Guard to me started out on fire and then lost me through out. I think it was their choice of flag designs. The stripe one towards the end turned me off.

Colts....You can tell this corps wants into finals! They have a nice hornline sound with good things happening in the guard. They may surprise a few folks come next week.

Crossmen...I like this year's show much better than last year. Also the additional red sash in the uniform does help breakup the black. I just wished they would ditch that uniform and go back to the one they had in the early '90s!
I feel like the battery is too far back behind the corps and they do not communicate well with the pit. I am not a drummer, so this is only my opinion. Also I feel like the pit parts are too thin. It's as if they were concentrating more on their mic presentation than filling in with music.

I love the ballad! The flags with the name of the city where each member is from was a nice touch! It was great to see my former students out their with our hometown on it!

I do feel they have been working hard but unfortunately I don't see them going past 13th. The transitions between songs really need work. I hope next year they do away with the mics and give Mark Thurston a call to work with that drumline! Right now, I would say they are the weakest section in the corps!

Reading Buccaneers.....WOW...they are great for a senior corps! I was really impressed by the guard's opener. However it looked like the ending was a work in progress. I also feel there is too much blue up top. Like a nice little white plume could be added. If I lived closer to them, I would march with them again in a heart beat!

Bridgemen Alumni Corps.....well, I loved Spanish Dreams, however I was very disappointed that they did not march as much as I was expecting. I guess with all the talk about topping the '94 Lancers, I was looking for more than what I saw. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see them again, but if you are going to do it, THEN DO IT!
The coats seemed shorter than what Bridgemen wore in the past. It made the members look over weight....which I know is the case, but accentuating it with yellow only made it worse. I would have kept the jackets longer and not as bright.....like a golden yellow.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am 
All Star
All Star

Thanks Malibu for the great review!

One think about BK's flags, while the designs may not be great, I think it is a cool tradition to have hand painted flags.

I share your opinion about Crown's guard...they are awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:57 am 
All Star
All Star

chadwick wrote:

One think about BK's flags, while the designs may not be great, I think it is a cool tradition to have hand painted flags.

I thought BK's flags worked so well with the show! They use a color scheme each year to portray their mood/theme moreso than a design on the flag.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:
chadwick wrote:

I thought BK's flags worked so well with the show! They use a color scheme each year to portray their mood/theme moreso than a design on the flag.

They have a blind artist who designs their flags. I just thought the choices were too busy with their uniform. I have liked some of their flags in the past but not this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

chadwick wrote:

did you get to see Esperanza's guard? They are very impressive too! Some of the top 12 guards could use their talents!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:15 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
chadwick wrote:

did you get to see Esperanza's guard? They are very impressive too! Some of the top 12 guards could use their talents!

Yes, I saw Esperanza's guard in Atlanta and was pretty impressed. Sometimes you just don't expect much from the corps placing 18 and below (not trying to be mean at all) and often they totally blow you away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:20 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Malibu wrote:
Bridgemen Alumni Corps.....well, I loved Spanish Dreams, however I was very disappointed that they did not march as much as I was expecting. I guess with all the talk about topping the '94 Lancers, I was looking for more than what I saw. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see them again, but if you are going to do it, THEN DO IT!

Malibu, I really appreciate the review since I haven't had the chance yet to see my alumni corp but, I think you were possibly expecting to much for a bunch of "old" people trying to relive a past-time that they hadn't visited for a very long time. In factas an example, one fellow member I know hadn't picked up a horn in over 35 years and like many of them needed to relearn how to and get their chops back in a very short period of time.

besides the drill defieciencies, how did they sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:

Your definition of "dude" and mine must differ considerably! 8-)

Malibu = :blonde:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:46 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

bumba_58 wrote:
Malibu wrote:

Malibu, I really appreciate the review since I haven't had the chance yet to see my alumni corp but, I think you were possibly expecting to much for a bunch of "old" people trying to relive a past-time that they hadn't visited for a very long time. In factas an example, one fellow member I know hadn't picked up a horn in over 35 years and like many of them needed to relearn how to and get their chops back in a very short period of time.

besides the drill defieciencies, how did they sound?

They sounded fabulous! I truly think BMen could have done more drill to make it more interesting. I don't think age had anything to do with it. Lancers practiced for two years to get what they did in '94 with old people in the line to boot.
It is good to see them back!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:48 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

xsabers wrote:
rysa4 wrote:

Yeah, I'm a dudette! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:34 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
xsabers wrote:
rysa4 wrote:

Yeah, I'm a dudette! :lol:

:oops:

Ok. Heck, I can't tell around here whos what anyway!!! :pharoah: