Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meanwhile... Back at North Brunswick, NJ Regal Theater Thurs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:49 am 
All Star
All Star

I am sick of the Cadet Anti-Cadet BS, so I am putting this here rather than in the general discussion of theater problems.

The crowd was chanting " Refund..Refund" through the performances ( or lack of do to signal drop ) 16 though 12. A man and woman next to me left in disgust just before Spirit, and VOILA! The signal was synched! On top of this I got a free pass for a movie in the future!

I went by myself, my wife is the piano type and my sons were out of town on business, nice young lady sits down two seats over and says " my husband can't make it, he's not too fond of this"? Turns out she's a tuba player for my favorite senior corps, the Bucanneers. So we had a pleasant evening reviewing performances from a low brass perspective ( I was a signle valve rotary contrabass ).

At one point Dennis DeLucia announces his wife can't make it for the first time in years ( applause erupts right behind me ), but it's okay: she's watching it in a theater in NJ ( whole theater erupts in applause )!

This was my first theater experience, it is definately a different perspective, sometimes better, sometimes worse, depending on the camera view. Sound was excellent, image was sharp! On to the corps!

Random comments, not on everyone:

Colts colorguard uniforms ( from Victoria's Secret?)! Cameraman got caught with a few too many closeups, later on closeups were from the neck up only!

Crossmen got carried away with the amp thing, reminded me of 2005 BD
Need to get back to the fundamentals. Enjoyable show nonetheless.

Madison ( IMHO ) is being underscored, and I love the colorguard book.

Crusaders are very good, but they don't understand " The Down Ending "

Crown is really good, and I take back my earlier comments about lack of soloist and battery out front, they did both. Really clever programming and drill to fit, even commentators remarked about judges lack of respect for the horns!

Bluecoats good show, but they need to crank it up!

Cadets - I like the show - easier to watch when the cameraman limits your view to the characters! Too good a corps to go the " Fromage Route"
This show also reminds me of 2005 BD, great players with a bad book.
If you want to win you have to do better, if you want to entertain and whine about judges and claim to work hard and stretch the envelope, so be it. I am entertained, but not in awe by this approach.

Vanguard - Now this is a show concept! I liked Mr Moto, and Vanguard understands how to do a " Down Ending"! Except for the guard uniforms designed by Haines, there is greatness to this program ( IMHO )

Phantom Regiment - WOW! I even like the Demon Posse ( call me a heathen)! They are really close, but the top 2 are so good I can't disagree with 3rd

Blue Devils - YOWZA YOWZA YOWZA in a good way. If the Machine wasn't who they are this would win in most any year! Love the Gun!

Cavaliers - If they don't trip they should win- I missed the snare who ends the program and IMHO it's great. Big rifle drop in a feature on Thurs, although camera work on Cavs was the weakest of the night: guy even missed the DM robotic salute at start.

KING LOW BRASS RULES ( IMHO )! others sound like a beep instead of a honk! ( The Mike Davis Theory on Phantom and Crown )

The Best Top 12 I can ever remember, 2006 gets a thumbs up from me!

frankiE :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

Ok, so we need a rule here...to the production truck crew...when Cavis are on, it is ok to leave the high angle camera on for more than 8 counts. Close-ups are nice here and again, but the best thing Cavies bring to the field is their awsome visual program. Let us be wowed by the changing forms ffer cryin' out loud.

During Madison's show, I was so ticked when they cut away from the company front that broke away in sections before it could fully develop. :think:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile... Back at North Brunswick, NJ Regal Theater T
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 pm 
All Star
All Star

frankiE wrote:
Cavaliers - If they don't trip they should win- I missed the snare who ends the program and IMHO it's great. Big rifle drop in a feature on Thurs, although camera work on Cavs was the weakest of the night: guy even missed the DM robotic salute at start.

KING LOW BRASS RULES ( IMHO )! others sound like a beep instead of a honk! ( The Mike Davis Theory on Phantom and Crown )

Southwind plays on King brass also. You can really tell the difference.

My Friend Rich who was sitting right in front of us at finals with his family told me something I didn't know after all the times I've seen Cavaliers.

The last lick that snare plays is the first snare lick of the show. I didn't know that. Thanks Rich. Makes one of the coolest shows ever, even more cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 am 
All Star
All Star

frankiE wrote:
I am sick of the Cadet Anti-Cadet BS, so I am putting this here rather than in the general discussion of theater problems.

The crowd was chanting " Refund..Refund" through the performances ( or lack of do to signal drop ) 16 though 12. A man and woman next to me left in disgust just before Spirit, and VOILA! The signal was synched! On top of this I got a free pass for a movie in the future!

Gee...we were both at the same theater! Flying solo as well....I mentioned it to my wife and her comment was "Why would I want to go see that?" :D

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:15 am 
All Star
All Star

Terri1957 wrote:
The last lick that snare plays is the first snare lick of the show. I didn't know that.

Neither did I. I thought they were just ripping off the 2003 Blue Devils. ;) :duck:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah but they carried him in the most pit. So cool!