The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 17th Three Rivers (Review)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:39 am 
All Star
All Star

UPDATED: 6/19

Southwind: Intheloop 57.00 (5th)
Nice uniforms! The program is suffering performance level issues at the moment. But this is the start of the season. Looked like there are several "holes" in the line (could be HS students still in school). I don't see them making 12 with this program... and improved execution... but it was entertaining.

Glassmen: Gitano 65.10 (4th)
Ummm... Honestly, I expected more in terms of design... from Robert W. Smith and the rest of the design team. The program doesn't have much of a clear direction or memorable moments. The performance level is lacking for a corps of their status. They were also suffering a few holes (but that's no big deal at this point). They are going to have to fight to get in at finals. The score is accurate... not much more to say.

Cavaliers: Billy Joel... 75.05 (1st)
I love it. They keep the crowd captivated from start to finish. Part of that is the familiarity of the music (which they have changed slightly since the Youtube posting... not for the better, unfortunately). The "Pressure" segment has changed a bit (musically) so that the 'synth break' portion from the original tune is not as recognizable in the low brass... they changed the rhythm (big mistake IMO). I went back and checked this... and I was mistaken... however, I do believe that the coda portion after "Pressure" was cut from Sunday's performance. So there was no It. Rest. music in there, that I recall. Will they win it all?... Well... to tell you the truth, both the Bluecoats or the Cadet program could EASILY contend. Right now, the Cavies are visually cleaner, and compelling. But not at all by much. The guard is great, the visual program is what one would expect from the Cavies, and the music is a hoot (I just wish that they were a little louder, and fuller... a the moment, they are getting blown away by the rest of the field in terms of music ensemble and brass tech., and I think that it is showing in the recaps).
Great show... go see it... you'll love EVERY second.

Bluecoats: Criminal 72.70 (3rd)
I love it. The colorguard needs to improve. When they do... this corps is going to contend. The is every bit as demanding and captivating as any winning program. The brass and percussion lines are performing at the highest level. This is not your father's Bluecoats. The program will be gaining more and more breathtaking visuals as the season progresses. I am not the least bit concerned about these kids. They have all that it takes... both in program and performance. As a side note... this corps already has some VERY breath taking visual moments... keep your eyes open for the "Miranda Rights" section... where the guard "drops their weapons", and the hornline makes use of their "right to remain silent"... the crowd loved it!

Cadets: This I Believe 73.50 (2nd)
LOUD! Nice music... and FINALLY... classic visual design that is screaming "CADETS". Otherwise... the show is annoying :wink:
The program involves musical selections that are interrupted at soft or silent moments for narration from various corps members (including guard or hornline members with wireless headsets). These, very out-of-breath :wink: narrators describe the make-up of a drumcorps and their experiences in the activity.
Couple of comments:
I believe in better sound reinforcement... (the wireless mics are lacking clarity)
I believe in less talking and more playing... (just my preference)
I believe in less misdirection and more exhibition... (when the crowd hears a member speaking... they look for the member, only to miss the action on the field)
But what do I know.
I much enjoyed the Blueshades segement of the piece, but at no moment in the program is there not the possibility of narration from a corps member.
They very well might win it all in the end... deservingly so... but they may not be the crowd favorite.

There you have it... the numbers are going to go back and forth every night... and the Cavies are going to get caught. SCV is going to contend (as we can see from their placement last night) and BD is going to also be in the mix. Phantom will also be in the same point bracket... and Crown is right there as well.

It's genuine. And there are no flukes in the scoring.
IMHO

Last edited by CFI BLOOO on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks...........
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Blooo..............thanks for the GREAT review. Honest, constructively critical at times - but professional and never insulting. Ever thought about judging? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:55 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for your review. Let me ask you something about the Cadets ( my old corps from the past- er- one of them anyway). I,listened to the show on that link that TMMystreaux provided.

The vocals..talking...seemed to inhibit any continuity and it seems would detract from GE from a scoring standpoint. It really made it hard to enjoy the audio portion of the show. What is your take on what I am saying? Is it diffrent in person?

Thanks

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:22 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
Thanks for your review. Let me ask you something about the Cadets ( my old corps from the past- er- one of them anyway). I,listened to the show on that link that TMMystreaux provided.

The vocals..talking...seemed to inhibit any continuity and it seems would detract from GE from a scoring standpoint. It really made it hard to enjoy the audio portion of the show. What is your take on what I am saying? Is it diffrent in person?

Thanks

M

I am going to post a longer review in a minute here... but let me first address this question.

The narration is made up of several different corps members (some in the horns... believe it or not) with wireless mic headsets. They are merely talking about the drumcorps activity: why they love it, what the challenges are, and why that makes them unique.

(as a side bar... this shouldn't really mean all that much in terms of content... when one considers that EVERY corps on the field is also... a drumcorps with the same experiences...)

Anyway, to answer the question:

George would probably tell you that the entire program rests on the narrative... therefore it is not inhibiting, but rather the focal point.

From my point of view... I understand the intent... and therefore accepted it when I viewed the program. So it wasn't inhibiting... but it was annoying in general (to someone who has a preference for long sections of playing, without interruption). I don't know if the narration is helping or hurting... I just know that it is what the design team intends to be there... so it's going to be there, no matter what :wink:

I will say this. They are playing and marching like the Cadets have been known to from the 80's and 90's... and that was nice to see and hear (which we haven't seen and heard much of in the past two years).