Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Decatur, IN Review
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:51 pm 
All Star
All Star

I was going to write a review and then I wasn't going to write a review. And then the site was down so I had an excuse not to write a review. B) But now I kinda want to write a review, so here it is! (I don't know if obligated is the right word.... but I am way more motivated to write a review early in the season when everyone is clammoring for any information they can get. Late season.... meh, anyone who's interested has already made it to a show or is burnt out on reading 3000 reviews.)

I was in row 5 on the 50 so you won't get much if any commentary from me about the visual aspect of the show.

Southwind: I like this show. I've typically found myself enjoying Southwind over recent years. Yeah they're dirty as heck and you can hear every step coming through their horns, but the music is enjoyable and by August they'll be very comfortable and selling the show with no problems. The one downside (or is it upside) is that the show feels like it's 20 minutes long. There were maybe 3 occasions where I thought we were at the end of the show and then they kept on going. A little confusing, but hey I'd listen to them again. :) Oh yeah, the uniforms are pretty sharp.

Madison Scouts: I was worried based on what I heard about their intro and closer, but I thought the slow intro worked extremely well. It was all during the warmup period anyway so how is this any different than other moving/playing warmups of the past? The closer however is too long and drawn out. They need to shorten it up for sure. Or make a statement ending and then tag this on the end (like SCV did with their show last year). This show just kind of melds into a very soft and slow ending. It leaves the audience wondering, should I clap now or should I wait??? Also, they were the first corps of the night to use amps and the pit sometimes overwhelmed the corps. The horns sounded much better than Southwind. Based on overall look and feel I felt like they would be further ahead of Southwind than the final score indicated. As for uniform..... they don't look half bad. The multi-green jacket is not noticeable from the stands, it simply looks like the light green fades right into the dark green pants. It feels like it's missing something though - probably needs more red. Oh yeah, as far as music goes I definitely enjoyed it and would listen again.

Glassmen - Again I didn't hear good things about them prior to seeing them so my expectations were low. I didn't like the picture of their uniforms, but they aren't as bad in person. Not great but not bad. Musically, they were very entertaining and "pulled a Crown", so to speak, by integrating finger cymbals into the rifles. Very nice effect and it really enhanced the gypsy feel of the show. Music was fun and the horns sounded great. Pit was better balanced with the corps than Madison's. There was noticeable improvement in look and sound between them and Madison. I didn't feel they were 5 points better though.... On a side note, the drum major never saluted after being asked if her corps was ready. Can't wait to see the outrage like the Cadets faced in '03 (?) when they did a moving warm-up. Oh yeah, they aren't the Cadets so there won't be any outrage.... :roll:

Cavaliers - I wasn't really feeling it on the audio clip I heard, but I was feeling it a little more when seeing them live. However, there's still no punch to this show! It's a good show performed very well and that's about all I can say about it. I wish it blew me away, I want it to blow me away, but I found myself wondering when they were going to do something. Maybe my expectations for them are too high, who knows. But this show reminds me a lot of 2005. I don't think it can win. On a side note, the Cavaliers didn't plug in tonight. I don't know if that's been a regular occurrence for them this season or they just felt they didn't need them in such a small venue. If anyone saw them in Annapolis or Pittsburgh, I'd be interested in hearing if they used amps at those shows.

Bluecoats - Excellent show! Musically they are very interesting with a lot of horn runs (including passing from section to section) and a noticeably good tuba section. The amped vocals are fun and not overbearing. They were the only corps where I noticed large chunks of missing guard work. Not to say others were complete but Blooo was obviously incomplete. Last year when I saw them opening weekend I felt they should have beat Phantom Regiment. (They didn't but they did within a few days.) This addition of the 'Coats looks and sounds better and it feels like they have more room to grow this show than they did last year. I honestly felt they did more on the field than the Cavaliers and their horn book sounded like it was more difficult. But the Cavaliers have made it a habit of making it look easy (just like BD!). I figured it would be close, real close. So I was somewhat surprised when they announced Bloooo 1.5 points behind the Cavaliers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:27 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Thanks for the review.....it keeps us up to date with what's going on. I won't get to see a show until Allentown. :?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the review!! And I agree Malibu, these reviews are all I have too for awhile...my first, and maybe only show, is Atlanta on 7/14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the review. It's interesting how people's perceptions can be skewed by what they read, then they are surprised when they actually see the corps for themselves. You thought Madison would be God awful, yet they weren't. I expect you'll find that corps that are praised as if they walked on water are all too human in person.

As for the men from Madison, I'm concerned, but it is way too early to panic. With all the turnover in the corps, I figured them to finish somewhere in the 11-14 range when all is said and done, and I'm sticking to that. I just took a look at the past four years and compared how they started the season .vs the higher of their finals and semifinals scores. On average, they improved 22.6 points over the 2003-2006 seasons. If you add that to their first score this year, they'll finish with a low 86, which is about 11th or 12th in semifinals during 2003-2006. So, we'll see; they've got a lot of work to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:21 am 
All Star
All Star

Machine,

Thank you for the review. I am watching for reviews with anticipation for some success for my guys and gals in blue coats... So thank you for the personal testimony (which is better than the critiques given by those who only watch the video streams)

Concerning your question about the Cavies usage of amps... I did see them in Pittsburgh... and I can honestly say that I don't recall them using amps one way or the other.

I personally loved the Cavies show... I thought it was quite exciting... but I made a similar observation concerning difficulty of their program and sound output in comparison to the 'Coats. In fact, after the Cavies and then the Coats went on, I leaned over to my wife (who is a trumpet performance grad student at the moment) and said... "The 'Coats had the best brass performance of the night"... she instantly nodded in agreement... but the scores didn't reflect that.

It just sounds like the Cavies don't have all players playing at all times, and they don't open up at the written climactic pionts.

Anyhow... after I then saw the Cadets that night (who are louder than nature's thunder... it's true). I leaned over to my wife and said... "Boy, the Cavies may win tonight... but I wish they would crank it when called for!"

So... they may not be amping the pit... they may be attempting to balance down (which they have been known to do at various times since they went to Bb). It just sounds thin to me... I want to hear all those fantastic runs that they have written.

Thanks for the review!!! Unlike those above, I unfortunately now ONLY have the reviews to depend on... as I have already seen all the drumcorps that my schedule will allow this summer :cry:

Post subject: Consider yourself lucky!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey Blooo...............at least you GOT to see some live drum corps this year!! My 2007 diet of live drum corps consisted of ONE rehearsal in March (I went to see Pacific Crest.....one of my best friends is on the brass staff there) and that's IT for this year. I was HOPING to get back to the states again in August to see DCI (I usually fly in and out of Los Angeles, it would have been SO convenient), but my work schedule won't permit it either (a band festival in Beijing mid-July, and a judging gig in Nanning early August). These reviews by you (and all the good people here at the forum) are the ONLY way I can get an idea of what the corps are doing and HOW they are doing it. Sure, I watch the videos on youtube, but we all know how limiting it is (as much as it IS nice to at least have it available). For all of you giving reviews here, please understand that it IS much appreciated....at least by me!!! :D

Guangxi Arts College, Nanning, China