Division I
1 The Cadets 78.000
2 Carolina Crown 75.200
3 Boston Crusaders 71.500
4 Spirit from JSU 67.100
Division II
1 Teal Sound 59.650

No recaps up at the time of this post.

I was hoping that Crown would stay close to The Cadets and was also hoping that Boston would be closer to Crown...but not bad for their first show. Hopefully someone will have a review for us soon! Word is that The Cadets might be slowly taking out the narration...I want confirmation before I believe it! I would also like to know if Crown has added narration and can't wait to hear more about Boston's show which has been quite a mystery lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:44 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the score posting.Cadets show with narration loses badly in my opinion; without the narration its right up there. Crown must be really strong. Thats a good score!

Post subject: Slight review
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

(A-Z) include grammar please. Small High School stadium 20 miles south of Raleigh, NC. Clear skies 90's during the day, upper 60's for the show. My opinion is just that, and my perspective is less technical and more general effect/impact. Seating dead center 3/4 to the top.

Division I
1 The Cadets 78.000 Think of "These Athletes of God" show as the equivalent of the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" or Drum Corps if you will...Without doubt high energy, technique and power in all areas. Percussion was dynamite. I thought the Drum Majors would topple the stand. If you see this show you will know what I mean. Volume to spare, incredible guard, drill and general effect certainly best of this night. Voice over, hmmmm, I think I understand what they are trying to do with it and agree with previous post that drill without the VO and vice versa won't work. I always believe in comparisons though, so compared to the singing last year, this VO is integrated into the show and did a small positive reaction from the crowd. MHO...if you expose to the VO, then you have to produce on par with other elements in the show, there was significant interference, voice modulation was poor, VO participants had poor articulation and were highly over-dramatic, and there was a significant recursive feedback from the amps during the initial brass impact at the start of the show which minimized the impact. Turn the volume down of the VO and can some of the ham. Show could contend.

2 Carolina Crown 75.200 This show demonstrates VO not needed. Guard costumes are horses with long manes, words not needed for interpretation. High impact brass and percussion. Guard I though second best on this night to Cadets. Appears IMHO, best Crown show to date developmentally and execution. Level of difficulty one step below Cadets, but highly entertaining. Copeland piece if I am correct was beautiful.

3 Boston Crusaders 71.500 WOW, first show of the year? Prepared and complete as beginnings are. Gorgeous ballad needs layers and development. Guard was very good IMHO. Corps played with confidence and I think they will catch and compete with Crown.

4 Spirit from JSU 67.100 I remember Spirit from old...Brass need confidence boost. Safe show.
Division II
1 Teal Sound 59.650 Strong Division II. Great start to the evening received warm reception from the crowd.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Cadets narration
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

(A-Z) grammar as well. I do not think that the narration is going anywhere. The show is completely based on it and vice versa. I am not in favor of narration or amped vocals, as my previous posts will attest, however, I am open to changes in drum corps that work. Cadets VO (voice over) has some traction, as given by the crowds reaction at impact points. My wife's reaction was simply that "it ties the show together." I do however believe that they do need to work to improve all of the distracting aspects of it rather than shut out the detracting (such as myself) view point or assessment. For example, there is or was quite a bit of static emanating from the speakers through the amps throughout the show, the narrators are not the most appealing from a voice and articulation standpoint, the narrators inadvertently add far too much breathing, P sound emphasis and drama, and I think its just too loud. If the brass or percussion sections had this much respective distortion in their performance there would be a revolt. Additionally, Phantom and others work on minimizing breathing impact relative to brass performance and sound articulation. This should be the goal relative to the VO or amped vocals without compromise. My eyes would try to find the narrator rather than focus on the show or aspects of the show and would go back and forth constantly. Distracting. They should explore ways to enhance these aspects rather than dismissing the issue for it to appeal to more dissenters (maybe). I would add, that I do think the show ties the VO into GE. Sorry. Technical and performance issue are glaring with the VO, though I think the concept remotely ties with young person's guide, and a few of the sappy airline commercials. The crowds reaction to me, however gives the impression that it is gaining traction not losing it. That aside, these kids and young adults put one hell of a show on, and their skill sets will wow crowds regardless of placement. They are exciting and I for one am glad to see their return at least musically to what they have been known for. If you can not get past the VO, you will still enjoy what they do otherwise.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:17 am 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the review poyntafter! Can you tell us more about Boston's show...I am very interested to hear more about their music. Also, what did the guard uniforms look like this year?

Did Crown have a voice over in their show? When you said it was not needed I wasn't sure if you meant that they should take what they had out or if they shouldn't add any to their show that currently has none.

Recaps are up...Cadets took everything except guard which was won by Crown. Crown has had a very talented guard the past several years and it is neat to see them scoring above Cadets, which has also had a very high scoring guard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am 
All Star
All Star

Crown will have voice in their show. This comes to me from someone very reliable within the organization.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Boston
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:02 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Open with back-play, full deep melody, not sure its title (Brass) moving in block angled toward the left side backfield building then return in triangle company front full throttle. I think it is notable with how much confidence the brass play with since it is the first show. The Guard use of dance and equipment seems advanced relative to years past, very Cadetesque in style, design and technique. Percussion and Brass appeared very close to Crown. Ballad did not seem fully developed of course, but showed promise to wow, IMHO may ultimately be one of the best this year if brass layers are added allowing full impact. I heard many spectators ooohing, and I experienced a few lingering goose bumps. As in many of their shows past, I think the brass play background music with little if any primary voices and never seem to be musically developed. That could be the case this year too, though skill level of the kids seems to be relatively high so I think they can handle increased demand. Percussion was very good, though I know little, I thought during ballad they were idle front right. Could be better placed and utilized floated around or behind brass line using the constant block formations and asymetrical lines seen throughout the show. The drill is quick paced and ties fairly well with the music, they have energy and the show well written. I do think that 10-6 will be highly competitive this year and placement will depend on how sophisticated the show develops this summer. I will not be suprised to see at Finals 1-6 finish within 2 points or less, and rather than having 3 tiers that this year will comprise of two with similar spreads. Like Crown BAC appears to be and will remain one level of difficulty and execution behind Cadets (Cadets and other top tiers continually develop at an incredible pace). That said, I think the trend will continue to see a diminished spread from top to bottom. Both Crown and BAC have entertaining shows and are not weak at any one spot. It says a lot about the development in drum corps. I do think at least at this show each corps history was read aloud, as was etiquette reinforced. Not sure if that helps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Overall I think it was a pretty sweet show. Everyone gave an entertaining performance I hear but I came in at the intermission.
The Cadets show is neat in a few ways and they have some amazing talent in their brassline (trumpet soloist out of nowhere), without a doubt. Not trying to be old fashioned, but I think they ought to hack out some of the VO's and throw in some more licks as they certainly have the capacity.
Crown, well, I am a bit biased but I'll try not to be. They are off to a sick start this year, in the good way. IMHO up there with Cadets for blend and perhaps had a more even ensemble tone, at least at points. I did hear some cracks in exposed sections (opening small ensemble, etc.), but hey, it's June.
All in all, these corps are all off to a great start and will only continue to get stronger and stronger as the summer boils on.

Profile E-mail