1 Capital Sound 51.150
All age corps
1 Kilties 63.150

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 'Twas there, was I.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:14 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

NOTE: Forgive my lack of technical expertise. This review comes from someone who spent only three years in the Colt...Cadets.
The Madison show is a crowd-pleaser but it's obvious that about a minute into "Kashmir" until the drum break, the music (horns) needs WORK. Drill's alright, but could benefit from some improvement. The show's theme really connects with the crowd (I particularly appreicate the requisite latin portion/Piazolla).

Colts horns are the best I've heard them in years and despite the fact that they tend to stay behind the evolutionary curve, their repetoire worked in their favor - despite having done Broadway and standards for years. i think throwing the classical into the mix benefited them greatly, no matter the fact that it's not that challenging, IMO. Their battery has been getting MUCH better in the last two years, very impressive. I feel like the drill and uniform were particularly Carolina Crown influenced.

Colts on top of Madison (!! - first time ever? second or third ever?) at this point is obviously a case of preparedness and how much the show has evolved to it's final point. Colts have rarely been a corps that change their show a ton from now until mid-Aug. and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change much again this year. THAT, however, has been what has kept them from breaking finals (again, IMO) for years now.

Blue Knights also have their book pretty down pat, but I feel like I'm seeing last year's show, the drill is much too similar and I'd really like to see BK do something that keeps them from either staying in the mid-Top 12 or slipping down as corps shift and change throughout this season.

Phantom? Oh yeah. As much as last year was about how incredible their battery was (natch, they're just as strong this year) that front line is KILLING IT. Wow! "Flower Duet"? You've GOT to be kidding me!! How can THAT, as well as their ENTIRE show, be so INCREDIBLE not even a week out? I wish I had the chance to see SCV and Cavies at this point - I'm sure I'd say much the same about them. But then again, maybe I wouldn't.

I'm feeling that Phantom might have the momentum and HOPEFULLY make some moves as the season progresses. I think "Firebird" has the potential to be molded into something even fiercer than it already is. My best to them and I hope they don't suffer from backlash or mid-season malaise (or however you want to put it).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 am 
All Star
All Star

With ya. The Colts must be really good. Its not so much about Madison--they are quite close in scoring to the Blue Knights-- growing to be one of my favorites actually and a solid group of folks too. For the Colts to show up like that means something. Good for them!

Post subject: Re: 'Twas there, was I.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:26 am 
All Star
All Star

Chadams wrote:
Phantom? Oh yeah. As much as last year was about how incredible their battery was (natch, they're just as strong this year) that front line is KILLING IT. Wow! "Flower Duet"? You've GOT to be kidding me!! How can THAT, as well as their ENTIRE show, be so INCREDIBLE not even a week out? I wish I had the chance to see SCV and Cavies at this point - I'm sure I'd say much the same about them. But then again, maybe I wouldn't.

I'm feeling that Phantom might have the momentum and HOPEFULLY make some moves as the season progresses. I think "Firebird" has the potential to be molded into something even fiercer than it already is. My best to them and I hope they don't suffer from backlash or mid-season malaise (or however you want to put it).

What about Phantom in the visual department? They usually let me down there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
What about Phantom in the visual department? They usually let me down there.

Pretty good. Drill for "Firebird" is doing a good job of matching the intensity of the music, IMO. Like I was saying, "Firebird" is definitely looking like it could be intensified, especially visually, to keep them in the running for high placing come august.

Guard outfits struck me as something from a 50s western TV shows (lots of browns and "tassles"), but there is a strong visual presence in Phantom that can work to their advantage if honed over time (I'm thinking a la Faust, where they let that evolve beautifully).

Profile E-mail