The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 23 - Toledo Review (long)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:15 am 
Rookie
Rookie

6.23 Toledo, OH

1. Cavaliers 78.55
2. Bluecoats 78.35
3. Glassmen 69.45
4. Crossmen 68.00
5. Troopers 63.25
6. Southwind 62.35

This is my first review, so be kind ....

Southwind (62.35) - nice show. The uniforms are ok, but the yellow vs. black always seems to work with them. They suffer from the usual stamina issues, but the show is a nice departure from past seasons.
They did beat Crossmen in brass tonight as well.

Troopers (63.25) - Welcome back!! The Troopers are doing Dave Brubeck! Not the usual fare from the Troopers and it was extremely refreshing to hear "Unsquare Dance" from them and have them "let their hair down a bit" a couple times during the show. 4th overall in brass tonight - ahead of Crossmen and Southwind, but percussion needs much attention.

Crossmen (68.00) - I was a bit disappointed in this show. Their hornline is very problematic with rough baritone sounds at times, harsh attacks and releases, and some pretty out of control upper register trumpet playing. This was evident in their brass placement. The new uniforms are also a let down. The white outlining on the top has to go! The guard, however, really worked for me. The show never gets going intermixing "Symphonic Metamorphosis" with "Birdland" and "First Circle". I was waiting all show for them to park and hammer me with one of those two Crossmen standards, but it never came.

Glassmen (69.45) - Much improvement from this corps from Annapolis. The guard uniforms are stunning! The Spanish gypsy thing works for the most part, although there is a bit of a let down after the ballad. The drumline needs some TLC, but the hornline is much improved from years past. Kudos to the new horn staff. Visually, no "wow" moments, but pretty solid, typical G-men. Better brass sound than Cavies tonight, IMO.

Bluecoats (78.35) - Absolutely ON FIRE tonight. Bloo was ready to make a move on Cavies and almost took them toinght. There hornline was the loudest and clearest of the night and they feature their battery extremely well and for good reason. The guard added orange prison jumpsuits and reveal their real uniform about 2 minutes in - outstanding. The show completely works and the "drop your weapons, etc." is, by far, the best use of narration in DCI (take a view George H). Depending on how hot SCV and BD are on the West Coast, I see top 3 for Bloo this season! This show is going to rock at the end of the season!! Beware!

Cavaliers (78.55) - Not their best effort in a long time. The Cavaliers have the usual drill, but, so far, without the amazing drill moves of years past. The guard is terrific and the interplay with their uniforms (suits) really works. The music is a let down and brass really need some work. Lots of ratty releases tonight and music ensemble issues that really are NOT the signature of this corps. Much music rewriting is needed to keep the Bluecoats at bay. Visually, no one compares to the creativity of Michael Gaines and staff, but, IMO is lacking from the last couple years (a lot to live up to). I am sure the Cavies will fix what needs to be fixed and will be right in the mix in Pasadena.

All for now

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Sound Machine Scores list Crossmen at a 69.00. Which is right?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:22 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
Sound Machine Scores list Crossmen at a 69.00. Which is right?

68.00 is correct. I expect whatever brass issues they have going on to clear up (to a point) soon. They have a young hornline, but talented. Also, a large chunk of the opener is straight up birdland.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:57 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The straight up Birdland "chunk" only amounts to around 10 seconds in the opener.

That opener/intro has a lot going on...Metamorphosis, First Circle, Birdland, Yellow Rose of Texas, Deep in the Heart of Texas and of course Russian Christmas Music. Sounds like a lot, but it's arranged well and it works with the segmented drill leading into the climax old school company front and wickedly awesome ending.

The neat thing about when First Circle shows up again later in Meta 2 is that he overlays it on top of the Metamorphosis material and it actually sounds like it was meant to be there in the first place. Aaron Guidry is a very creative and talented arranger.

http://www.crossmenalumni.org

Post subject: Re: June 23 - Toledo Review (long)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

mattnjonnie wrote:
6.23 Toledo, OH

1Troopers (63.25) - Welcome back!! The Troopers are doing Dave Brubeck! Not the usual fare from the Troopers and it was extremely refreshing to hear "Unsquare Dance" from them and have them "let their hair down a bit" a couple times during the show. 4th overall in brass tonight - ahead of Crossmen and Southwind, but percussion needs much attention.

Must have been a bad percussion night. They scored a 12.2 to the Scouts 12.4 in perc. the night before, compared to an 11.1 in Toledo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:12 pm 
All Star
All Star

ehem...

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

ah (sigh).

Ok... happy to see this happen.

Now, what I forsee is that this will be the kind of season where drumcorps will be adding to (moreso than subtracting) their programs as time progresses... in a much more calculated way than has happened in years past.

But... I can honestly say (after having viewed video clips of BD and SCV... and by judging the content of the programs ONLY - rather than the performance quality... which can't be well seen or heard in a video)...

... This is all fun and games for my guys and gals in Blue... until they meet up with the Devils.

From what I have seen (which is only a little)... I don't see how SCV will get their lead back (or why they ever held one in the first place). The Devils program is very very beastly... if they perform it well at the end of the season... I would say that they have the lead.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

KEEP THE REVIEWS COMIN' !!!!!