Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Madison?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:32 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Who has seen them? I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on their show. Many folks feel they may not make the top 12. :shock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

I saw them Friday night in Racine. Frankly, I was very suprised Troopers were that close to them until I saw the percussion scores.

They're OK, but they have a lot of work to do, including some major rewites in the back half of their show. They begin their on field warmup and end their show in the same way, with the full corps singing a chord progression. To start the show, the corps is in kind of a wedge with a guard member in front. He looks to be pulling part of the wraparound on his uniform, as if trying to break the bonds holding the corps in the form - what I perceive to be the "unbound" idea. It's a cool idea, and it works real well in the warmup. The ending has the corps singing the same progrssion while the corps gets into that same form at the other end of the field, so the ending form is the mirror opposite of the beginning form. It's a good idea (although a down ending from a Madison corps takes some getting used to), but it takes too long for the form to build. I can see a rewrite to take that good idea and tighten it up.

Obviously, the drums have a lot of work to do. I believe they have only one returnee from last year's line. It's my opinion that drum lines are to drum corps what offensive lines are to football. It takes a lot of time and practice for them to really gel and function as one. We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

The horn line has some really cool moments. They play some really loud stuff, which I think is great. It's just my opinion, but I thought the past two or three Madison corps has the softest horn lines in DCI. It was as if there was a govenor on the volume knob. No such problem this year. I think their big challenge is similar to the drum line. They have to build their chops while continuing to perfect their performance. I'm not sure where the new players came from, but I sense a good many of them came from band backgrounds. As we all know, there's a big difference between band chops and drum corps chops.

One thing that I was really impressed with was the rifle work of their guard in the ballad section. The entire color guard is on rifle in this section, and I saw something I just don't see much of anymore - unison rifle work. For what it is worth, I didn't see any drops.

One thing the corps is NOT doing is panicking. I had a chance to talk with several folks on the administrative leadership team. They're well aware a lot of work is needed. I mentioned some of the "sturm und drang" over on DCP. Some of them saw it. Frankly they found it amusing.

I see them finishing with a low 86 at season's end, if they run true to form over the past four years. Where that will get them in placement is anybody's guess, but that seemed to be in the 11-14 range, based on the past four seasons.

But, they have a lot of work to do. I'll be with them schlepping food for five days starting Friday. It ought to be interesting to see what's happening and get a sense of their mindset.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:30 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
I saw them Friday night in Racine. Frankly, I was very suprised Troopers were that close to them until I saw the percussion scores.

Obviously, the drums have a lot of work to do. I believe they have only one returnee from last year's line. It's my opinion that drum lines are to drum corps what offensive lines are to football. It takes a lot of time and practice for them to really gel and function as one. We'll see what happens as the season progresses.

You got it. There are really two times when drum lines make big moves up. At the begining of the season shows who put in the real work starting way back with serious practicing and rehearsing as a line in November; and all moved in and busted tail before summer tour starts--and then changes and implementation prior to second tour.

Its tough for drumlines to make major moves if they arent together and there at a certain standard out of the blocks. Its been done though. Santa Clara did it years back. Thats the last time I saw a really bad line at the start of a season become a really good line by the end.

I am not referring to shades of difference between the top lines BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Saw them Sat. in Rockford. To sum my rambling R-Ford review, "Kashmir" needs horn work, and like Phantom, their closer is an nice strong anchor that's going to benefit from a season's worth of evolution...that is if they (Madison) can quickly whip "Kashmir" into shape. It's there, but to make it both "Madison-esque" and a memorable corps arrangement, it needs to be polished and LOUDER!

I think the intro/ending works, despite it not being what people would consider typical Madison. It's the middle of their show that needs to get worked on, in order to boltser their beginning/outro.

Profile E-mail