Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Screwjob in South Milwaukee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:18 pm 
All Star
All Star

I paid $17 for a ticket that said drum corps competition, only to find out when I got inside that it was a non-judged exhibition for five corps - The Legends from Portage, MI, Cap Sound, Troopers, Madison and Pioneer.

I hadn't seen Legends before. Real young kids learning to perform. Can't remember any of the tunes, but I was impressed with their performance sense. My advice is for the kids to keep working those basics, particularly marching.

Cap Sound was several steps up from Legends. This is a corps that knows how to perform. They just seemed to be really into their show - I could see lots of sheer joy out on the field. Kudos to their contra soloist.

Troopers - Much improved over Racine, although I'm still seeing a lot of upper body control issues in the horn line. New guard uniforms are in. They're grey pant suits with gold trim. After the opener, the top comes off to reveal a blue body stocking with gold trim. Looks really good from the field. This corps has a definite shot at semifinals. I think they big challenge in continuing to develop the chops - both marching and playing - that's needed to perform drum corps at a high level.

Madison was also much better tonight. The warmup into Kashmir is beginnning to grow on me. I see lots of rewrites in this corps's future. I don't know how to explain it, but I sense the design needs tightening. Kind of like in theatre where you work with the players to pick up the cues.

I saw Pioneer, but I was at a lousy vantage point at field level, so I don't have much to report.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:36 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

What was the reason for the exhibition? I know if there are too many judges missing or if the field conditions are not right they will do an exhibition.
Last year at our local show hours before show start there was a steady down pour that made the field too slick to march on. I knew a couple of judges and spoke to them prior to the show's start and they informed me that the contest would be a stand still exhibition only. Like you, I shelled out $$$ for 3 tickets and I wasn't about to watch a stand still with the guard doing nothing. I know some would say, "well it still helps the activity." I do help the activity by donating to various organizations either by buying souvies or mailing in $$. I paid good money to "watch" a performance not hear one. So we all left before the announcement was made about an exhibition and sold our tickets to some folks standing in line.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 am 
All Star
All Star

"Discretion of the sponsor" was the announced reason.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:26 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
So we all left before the announcement was made about an exhibition and sold our tickets to some folks standing in line.

:shh: