Div II
55.75 Colt Cadets

Div III
67.05 Memphis Sound

Post subject: Wow...............
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

OK, these are some pretty interesting scores..........no recaps posted yet so no way to see what REALLY happened in the captions. The gap between Cavies and SCV is only 1.5 right now (and you can squeeze Phantom and Crown in there - 81.15 for Phantom and 79.80 for Crown in Maryland tonight) and even if you look at Cadets score tonight (82.25 in Maryland) and assume the Blue Devils will be in the mix as well........WHAT A CROWDED TOP 7 SO FAR!! 2.5 points separating 6 corps tonight (I know that probably won't happen once they're all together), and it's not even July 1 yet!! Maybe the BIGGEST surprise tonight for me was the dramatic increase in Pacific Crest's score (they were ahead of Madison, Southwind and Cascades tonight...although these corps were up in Madison) - I think getting out on the road early for PC like this (they've pretty much always stayed in California early season) is going to benefit them GREATLY (looks like it already is)!! We'll know more tomorrow night....PC will see Madison, Southwind and Spirit at the Mankato show. Blue Devils also see Cavies and Bluecoats tomorrow night in Kalamazoo....that's going to be REALLY interesting.

So far, this season is shaping up to be one of the best in YEARS.......I love it!!!! :cool2: :tup: :towel: :yeah:

Guangxi Arts College, Nanning, China

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:07 am 
Veteran
Veteran

BTW, SCV re-wrote last two minutes. Watched them rehearse yesterday for 5 hrs. They pulled some of the original stuff from the show and will work in the new over time.

This change necessitated no drill last night the final 45 seconds or so-and they still "jumped" two points!!

Also-the corps had not done a show in 5 days and had zero-ZERO outside work Wed & Thurs cause they were rained inside.

This show is amazing. Everyone watch out for this one. And yes, the sound bites don't do it justice.

My favorite show last night, followed by Bluecoats [jamming!] and Colts.

Post subject: Thanks...........
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:44 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Nice to know, jazzer..........it's REALLY nice to see SCV back in the thick of things, so to speak!! Hopefully the weather will work in their favor so they can get the new material on the field ASAP. A question for you..........did you get the chance to see Pacific Crest? If so, any thoughts/opinions? They appeared to have the biggest score boost since last weekend.........and I'm also curious to know how their "Viva Las Vegas" show is doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:27 am 
All Star
All Star

I can't help but be reminded of SCV in '97 when they were 10 pointed by the Blue Devils early on and ultimately tied them for 1st at Quarterfinals. This year's edition sounds like they have tons of potential and they are within striking distance from the get go. Of course, I think the top 7 are MUCH MUCH stronger this year than it was 10 years ago, so the battle to the end will be very interesting!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:02 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Yes Jon-I did see Crest-even talked to a couple members as I was leaving the show [it was a cool mid 60's and everyone, including them thought it was wild] and thanked them for coming to the midwest.

I had noticed your earlier post regarding finals/home corps as well as my ? @ Riverside Com College.

I was a bit unprepared for their program in that I always "make" my own from corpsreps as well as making an excel spreadsheet of each participating corps' scores to date-anal, I know. Corpsreps had a different list of charts for their Vegas show-some same, some different.

It was a nice performance placement in that Memphis Sound lead off and then Colt Cadets then Crest.

The things I remember most: In general the performance level is quite high, with color guard and percussion making strong deliveries. The narration [very short interjections] seemed hard to understand from the pit members-more of a distraction for me and I don't know if even done well how much it adds to the show.

The Viva Las Vegas energy is awesome. I had the feeling though that when it was recapped that, ya know-I wanted more contrast from that energy. Love for Sale arr. is solid.

There are some talented blowers in the horn line. Ensemble cleanliness and balance seemed off last night and a number of soloists were noticbly flat, esp. early in the show. Cool temps to blame?

The drill seemed the appropriate demand and executed with solid control. It had many elements that I personally appreciate-albeit "older" style i.e. geometric rotations, fast-paced merges & facings. I dig the "cocked" left leg prep before the change of direction.

I think if the hornline can step it up then they can stay with/ahead of Spirit. It was great to have another West corps here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:48 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Nice job Colts! Definitely sounds like they're contending for a change!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Great!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey jazzer..................now THAT was a review!!! By the way, what you might call "anal"............I would call that being superbly prepared!! :lol: In any case, it looks as though PC doing just fine. I'm not surprised that the horn line might be a bit "below" the other captions at this point......traditionally PC's average age in the horn line is a little younger than most Div. 1 corps (somewhat due to the corps "part time" drum corps philosophy). However, I know most of the brass staff pretty well so I'm not worried - they're great people, highly qualified and they'll get the line in shape!!! You also commented on the quality of some of the arrangements - Dale Leaman (a LONG time colleague and friend of mine in SoCal) is a VERY underrated composer/arranger, and I hope that he finally gets the recognition he deserves - he's earned it!!

Once again, GREAT review - detailed, critical when needed but never insulting. This is PC's BEST chance to compete for a semifinals slot (possibly even a finals slot??) ever..........due to a west coast site for DCI. The usual short tour/long tour format that west coast corps do (because of DCI being in the midwest or east) never works in PC's favor.......so this year is their year to REALLY go for it!! I think they have a GREAT chance to get into that 15th-17th place slot for semis.........and maybe even higher if they can gather the right momentum as they get back into California.