Capital Sound - 52.850

AA
Minnesota Brass, Inc. - 63.163

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

PIONEER - 2nd time seeing them. They have a show that they can play well (which is nice, given that it's only the end of week 2), but it doesn't do much for me.

SEATTLE - strong start, but deflated in the last half. As their late-starting season moves on, they'll undoubtedly tighten that sucker up. All the best to 'em. Their show deserves the dedication and hard work it'll get.

SOUTHWIND - Their ending's interesting. They have a solid ending...and then there's some sort of coda, I guess. Entertaining and fairly solid performance through and through. I've said it before, but I'd like to see them push against that top 12 bubble. (Though this again may not be their year to do so.)

MADISON - The intro. got some nice drill additions and the horns were strong tonight. A marked improvement from the Rockford show a week ago. That "Kashmir" drum break is still jerky and throws a wrench in the show's momentum. A nice transition was added from "Kashmir" into "Requiem" but "Req" NEEDS a stronger visual element, and they do a great disservice to the horns by having them play damn-near the whole piece backfield! There's no need to cover it up and make it too quiet (especially if all I'm looking at is the corps outlining the whole field).

They're getting better (despite the all-too-low score last night) but the rewrites need to keep coming!

BLUE STARS - A deserved first place. Drill is impressive and horns and battery are doing so well so early on. I think they do more with Firebird better than PR. One thing they absolutely need - a pause after Swan Lake! Kinda ruins the great ending they've put on the field.

MN BRASS - nice. impressive drums! (wish I could say more but I must go to work!)

Profile E-mail