* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The Bluecoats blooo my mind last night!

Unfortunately, more than a few folks in the stands let it be known that they were very unhappy with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 am 
All Star
All Star

Are you sure you weren't hearing BLOOOOOOOO? (Not from the Cavie fans I bet.)

It reminds me of semis in 2004 when I was taken to task by a bando for BLOOOO-ing the Coats. She scolded me up and down for booing those poor kids who work so hard. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

That is so cute! :lol:

Don't get me wrong - there was a lot of support there!

But the unhappy ones were extra-obnoxious :x

I love that drum corps folks are opinionated, but I don't like the unwillingness of some to give credit where it is due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:39 pm 
All Star
All Star

Wow. . .congrats Bluecoats.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:42 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

This whole "angry fans" thing reminds me of when Phantom beat Cadets in Rockford last year. Sure Cadets had a divisive show, but some older audience members were just so crotchety! Come on unreasonably angry people, be a sport!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: It's history.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

There have always been angry fans, and there will always be angry fans - a byproduct of just about ANY competitive activity that relies on a adjudicator's OPINION. Let's just hope that we don't start seeing booster parents coming to rehearsals and "suggesting" to the director/staff how to teach the kids or what kind of show to do...................a situation that is unfortunately ALL too common with high school marching bands. Yes, I know that a public school atmosphere and a "private", independent group like a drum corps is VERY different.............but think about all of the problems we've read about in the news with out of control little league and soccer dads (little league and community soccer are also "private" independent organizations as well), vengeful cheerleader moms, etc. CAN that kind of thing happen with drum corps? Probably not..............most members of drum corps are older and transport themselves to rehearsals, which lowers greatly the parents even being around and/or watching the rehearsals. Do NOT get me wrong - I think parent involvement and support is VITAL for marching bands AND drum corps!! We've all been around long enough to know though, that once more parents are involved, the greater the chance there is of a "bad apple" coming along and thinking he/she knows more than the director/staff does.

Like I said......CAN this kind of thing happen with drum corps? I seriously doubt it (I can just see some drum corps instructor going off on some obnoxious parent...........NOT a pretty sight) - but it's also not impossible to imagine either.

Guangxi Arts College, Nanning, China

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:23 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Well, I remember my mom getting disgusted with another mom, whose son went to the same HS as my oldest sis. He also happened to be our DM at one point. His mom was discussing his position in the HS band, and was talking about how she pushed the band director to make him be in that position. Sis, OTOH, earned Concert Mistress all on her own, based on her own talents. Baed on that converstaion, and the aggressiveness of it, Mom often wondered just how he got that DM position. We were also in a youth orchestra in the Denver Area in the 60's. Sis again was the best violin player, and rightfully earned the Concert Mistress poisition there too. However, the second chair player's Mom pitched such a fit, the director finally relented and had a revolving system where one concert Sis would be first chair, and the next concert the other girl would be first chair.

So, I guess it CAN happen in the musical arts.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail