Rookie
Rookie

1. Cavaliers 84.40

2. Blue Devils 83.60

3. Bluecoats 83.45

4. Colts 75.00

5. Blue Stars 73.25

6. Pioneer 65.25

Decided to go on the spur of the moment...a very entertaining evening.

Post subject: Oh well.............
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You can just ignore my earlier post (in the Allentown scores thread)..............I don't know WHAT the hell's going on now!!!! How about we just throw the names of the top 7 corps in a hat, and pick a winner from there????

Guangxi Arts College, Nanning, China

Post subject: A mini review
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:58 pm 
All Star
All Star

I just got back home from the Canton, OH show and I’m writing up this “mini review” while things are still fresh in my head.

First of all, the weather was perfect. About 80 degrees, sunny and no rain!! The field at the Pro Football Hall of Fame was in great condition. I’m sure the kids had fun marching on it as I’ve been to some shows where the field was in less than ideal shape.

First up was Pioneer. They did a very nice job playing their traditional Irish music. Nothing really stood out for me, except that their demand, both musically and drill-wise was very much less than the other corps. Probably why they score in the mid-60’s. They played the Gary Owen as they passed by in retreat.

Blue Stars were next. It is so wonderful seeing them back to full Division I status. The bicolor uniforms work very nicely for them, although I miss a splash of red somewhere (plume, perhaps). Their program of Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, and Saint-Saens was well executed and they should definitely contend for Semi’s.

Next came the Colts. I like the new uniforms a lot – very sharp on the field. Their program was very accessible and was well executed. They beat out the Blue Stars by 1.75. I felt it was closer than that, but I’m not a judge. Good solid performance overall.

After a short intermission, the Blue Devils came on next. Here is where the competition took a big jump in quality. I really enjoyed the program a lot. Their drill forms are always very clean, the brass always excites (they had a few moments to scream during a jazzier piece), the drum line always is solid with a little flare, and the guard is always strong. They didn’t disappoint tonight! I especially love the drums interweaving through the curving horn arc across the field. And there is a forward moving collapsing spiral that is executed flawlessly. I thought they would be tough to beat.

But then The Cavaliers took the field and blew us away. Their Bill Joel program is excellent! The opening trumpet solo was perfectly played to the audience’s great appreciation. And then the drill took over the show. It seems like every 30 seconds or so there is a maneuver that just makes you say, “Wow!” I felt the guard is not up to recent years, but the show doesn’t suffer from it (just leaves them room to improve!!). The ending seems to lack some punch.

The host Bluecoats were last up for the evening. Their Criminal program is a lot of fun to watch – clearly the best use of “theme” on the night IMHO. The guard’s prison orange jumpsuits with handcuffs were a big hit. (I joked that if they really want to impress the judges in Pasadena, they should shorten up the chain length about a foot or add ankle chains). The “strip-tease” transition out of the orange garb was very sexy. The money attache cases added interest throughout. The sequence of “You have the right to remain silent”, then silent drill, followed by “Anything you play can and will be used against you", with the horns re-entry, was also well received by the decidely home crowd. Overall it is a very good and competitive program – they were only 0.15 behind the Blue Devils. But it just doesn’t have the "Wow” moments necessary to win it all at this point (maybe they can make some changes to punch it up in places).

On the souvies front, I was disappointed that only Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Colts and Pioneer had set up their wagons. Apparently, Blue Devils and Cavies sent them on to Allentown for tonight’s Eastern Classic Part I. All 6 of these corps, of course, will be there tomorrow for Part II.

That’s all for now. I’m looking forward to going down to Charleston, WV next Tuesday to see Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, and Troopers face off against the Blue Devils and Cavaliers.

P.S. - Someone should bop the ice cream truck driver who decided to swing by the stadium during a quiet moment in the Blue Stars program!! :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A mini review
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:29 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jazzman wrote:
I’m looking forward to going down to Charleston, WV next Tuesday to see Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, and Troopers face off against the Blue Devils and Cavaliers.

I got scared off by the heavy rain in my area about the time I needed to head south to Charleston. I checked radar and it didn't look good for about the next 2 hours. So I stayed home. Obviously the rain cleared out and they held the show (although I don't know if there was any delay or not). There went my one and only chance to see Phantom Regiment, Boston, and the Troopers this year. Curses!!

Profile E-mail